HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:42 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I already have the gear for one.... Grounded myself from purchasing any more until I finish 3 that are in line....

I did get a Blade MQX Quad. <grin>
I knew the Quad was coming I took a picture of one at the Frosty Dog fly-in. He could turn the radio off and it would come back to home base on it's own.
Do you fly in x or + mode? Indoors or out? Do you have a cam on yours? Those Quads are awesome!!!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
I knew the Quad was coming I took a picture of one at the Frosty Dog fly-in. He could turn the radio off and it would come back to home base on it's own.
Do you fly in x or + mode? Indoors or out? Do you have a cam on yours? Those Quads are awesome!!!
Um...errr... I have not flown mine yet. If I am sucessful I intend to fly both in and outdoors. THe MQX is very small, I am thinking it will carry a key chain cam, but that is about it.... but I do intend to find out.

Those that have GPS and such, WAY out of my budget, I am sticking with the $119 version for now.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:57 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
I have purchased stuff from this guy RCPlaneBuilder - I can recommend - but, the link here is what he is working on for a new product - just a little different quad.

He has a nice foamie (Slicko) that has been pretty popular.

I think what would be very interesting for these is to have the ability to track a beacon that is on a different plane and carry a video device so it records your plane in flight.

It would stay maybe 10-20 feet away and take off and land when you do - no transmitter required. That would be real interesting to see and probably out of my price range...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=207
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
A man was just in my office and he said that he had an antique gun collection and was talking about some of them would be illegal as well. Made me think of what you had said. Maybe this is federal and not state. However, when I took the class to get my CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) the instructor did say that the carry permits varied greatly from state to state.
OK, I could go on but this is not the place. We are here to discuss this great hobby.
Have you heard that Oregon has made FPV illegal? There are other states following. The rationale is they don't want us spying on each other. The reality is that the police forces don't want us to have what they have. They feel they that they should be the only ones allowed to spy on us and that some may use it to spy on police activity. Well if you ask me, when the gov't fears it's people, all is right. When the opposite happens, we are in trouble.
At any rate all of this will be regulated and licensed by the states at some point and, of course, the fee you are charged will pay for it.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:44 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
I have read they are trying to, not yet clear as to what sector it effects. Some other states have details that are specific to law enforcement's use of drones, which I have no issue with and clearly do not impact hobbyists, but that being the case, I do agree with the concern that these bills are being created, and they seem to be created quickly just to meet some deadline.

I am not sure states have the authority to control air space - could be wrong but I thought this was under the FAA/Federal.

Also, I would assume these will be challenged in courts - but like all things our government does, they need to be watched like hawks.

Next thing you know there will be a new group of attorney's, just to handle drone lawsuits/arrests. I can see the commercials now.

Let's also hope the AMA is involved because is should be of interest to them.

Some of the information I have read deals with privacy issues - especially when cameras are involved. Not sure people have issues with hobbyist's taking pictures, (there will always be a handful of bad guys), but more along the lines of big brother type activity.

This also brings up people in private aircraft taking pictures. I had some company come by last year with a aerial photo of our house they wanted to sell me. Isn't this very similar in concept?

Hopefully intelligence/common sense prevail, but sadly it normally does not.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:05 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Hopefully intelligence/common sense prevail,
When it comes to our Gov. isn't this a contradiction of terms.

If this sequestration goes in effect the first of March the gov will have more to worry about than the AMA

That V tail quad rocks!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:30 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Hey Bob have you seen this Dragon flying around down your way?

Fire-Breathing Dragon Flying above New Fantasyland at Disney's Magic Kingdom (2 min 53 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:36 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
I have not heard of that yet. Disney is why too crowded for me.

Some friends of mine went there last weekend, 2.5 hour wait to get on rides. The fast pass thing is strange - I do not really understand it, but I think you can get like one fast pass every 1.5 hours, so you can get on one ride quickly, but then you need to wait.

It also used to be when the parking lot was filled, they closed the park, but not anymore - they open up additional parking lots.

Not my kind of place - anyways - I wonder exactly how they work that dragon. I would not think an RC plane type thing as that could be somewhat dangerous.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:09 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
I wonder exactly how they work that dragon. I would not think an RC plane type thing as that could be somewhat dangerous.
Good question. I don't know but pretty impressive.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:16 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,251 Posts
Took in the WRAM show this weekend, here is some pics

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0382963&type=1
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:57 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
Speaking of quad copters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=pp89tTDxXuI#!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,251 Posts
Quote:

Crap.....
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:11 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
600 Posts
Quote:
I wonder exactly how they work that dragon. I would not think an RC plane type thing as that could be somewhat dangerous.
Typical Disney "Magic" A great result from creative engineering... it is an animatronic puppet designed as a flexwing ultralight.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/0...-disney-world/

TonyS
tonystro is online now Find More Posts by tonystro
Last edited by tonystro; Feb 25, 2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: changed to better information link
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:29 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Thanks Tony for posting the link, That is so cool.

The quad pole acrobatics is unbelievable as well.

"Mankind and their machines, awesome!"
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Wing Mount

How is the wing actually attached? is it only the nylon bolt? How far back on the wing should that be mounted?
Laxman500 is offline Find More Posts by Laxman500