HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Do you think it would be well attended? Lots of people into models but not sure how many into scratchbuilding.

Not to many love to build period and you can buy a beautiful arf for maybe less than buying all the equipment to build and spare yourself the time it takes to build. However we never know, it may just be a big event. I'm not a member of a club so I can't schedule an event but maybe one of the clubs will give it a try.

I like building with balsa. That is all I built with until I got into these foamies. The thing I really like is how quick I can repair them. Yesterday my son crashed his EA and with a little hot glue it is ready to fly today.

Dalton
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,394 Posts
As far as attendance - I guess location would be a big thing - how easy is it to get to.

There are a lot of scratch builders on RCG, but not sure if they would show up or not.

I think contests and prizes would help draw them in.

Really - no idea who would show up. The flyin I was talking about earlier - really disappointing - maybe 10 people there. Really was expecting something different. Maybe just the time - no idea.

You have one is SC you go to I think - pretty big? I think that is about as far as I want to drive - basically can reach it in a day's drive.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
At our recent Mall Expo our club did, one of the members brought his new trainer 15 ARF and did the assembly at the Mall show, we also had some stripped out <uncovered> planes there so people could see past the covering, it really was well viewed.

Check out our Mall Show Picture
http://www.scrc-club.com/index.php
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
I think contests and prizes would help draw them in.
I think you may be on to something there. A prize for best built would raise the standard of aircraft and you could have foam, balsa, and other classes to enter. As long as you built it (documented by picturtes etc.) and it flys you're eligible for da prize.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
By the way Buddy, how is the flying lessons with your son coming along?
My daughter hardwood floor is taking all of mine spare time. Both my son and I been working together on it. That is why I haven't been able to get to the field . I'm free tomorrow because my daughter and son in law are going to the Clemson-South Carolina game. But one of the club member posted that it's is going to be windy Saturday. Just my luck. I have some vacation time coming next month , so I hope to hit the field everyday while I'm off. And I hope my son can make it too. It's been so long that me and him both might have to learn again.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
At our recent Mall Expo our club did, one of the members brought his new trainer 15 ARF and did the assembly at the Mall show, we also had some stripped out <uncovered> planes there so people could see past the covering, it really was well viewed.

That is a very active club. Very nice, yes sir, very nice indeed. I like the set up/display you have and the web site is impressive as well. Did you design and build the web site?

OH, I see the webmaster is Todd Cook. I'm impressed with the whole package! Is that you in the picture?
Last edited by DaDesign; Nov 23, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
My daughter hardwood floor is taking all of mine spare time. Both my son and I been working together on it. That is why I haven't been able to get to the field . I'm free tomorrow because my daughter and son in law are going to the Clemson-South Carolina game. But one of the club member posted that it's is going to be windy Saturday. Just my luck. I have some vacation time coming next month , so I hope to hit the field everyday while I'm off. And I hope my son can make it too. It's been so long that me and him both might have to learn again.
I couldn't believe how rusty I was yesterday. It has been awhile sense I've flown and WOW! I knew I haven't heard you say how he was progressing with his flying.

If I got down to install a wood floor I couldn't get back up.
I have installed them before but I was much younger.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:

Boy, now that a club.Ours club is nothing like that at all. We just started out two or three years ago. I know we will never have a club at that caliber.
Last edited by kid at 55; Nov 23, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
That is a very active club. Very nice, yes sir, very nice indeed. I like the set up/display you have and the web site is impressive as well. Did you design and build the web site?

OH, I see the webmaster is Todd Cook. I'm impressed with the whole package! Is that you in the picture?
Todd had not done website design prior to putting this site together, he wanted to learn and did a great job.

Quote:
Boy, now that a club.Ours club is nothing like that at all. We just started out two or three years ago. I know we will never have a club at that caliber.
This club has been around since the 50-60s range so it has some strength in membership. Over my last 4 years as pres I have rocked the boat a bit and created a lot of noise. Some of it has been good.

This year we went non profit thanks to the tresurer and this gives us access to the Mall for these shows <they supply tables and all> for FREE. We are also looking at getting reduced rates on school gyms for indoors.

We need younger members... so we are pushing the memberships.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,503 Posts
Hey guys, I been thinking about getting into shooting some video of some of mine flight. What type of camera is everyone using ? I will probably have to shoot the video myself so I have to fastened the camera to me some how. I been looking at the 808#16 keychain camera so I came get some in air video also. And I will have to learn how to YouTube also.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I been thinking about getting into shooting some video of some of mine flight. What type of camera is everyone using ? I will probably have to shoot the video myself so I have to fastened the camera to me some how. I been looking at the 808#16 keychain camera so I came get some in air video also. And I will have to learn how to YouTube also.
A buddy uses a hat cam and he has it rigged with a small "T" hanging down in front from the bill as sights to keep the plane in frame, its often the hardest thing to do. This is one he did

104" AJ Slick - 3d comfort food (9 min 19 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
A buddy uses a hat cam and he has it rigged with a small "T" hanging down in front from the bill as sights to keep the plane in frame, its often the hardest thing to do. This is one he did

https://vimeo.com/30119320
I watch his video before. He does a great job on his video shooting.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:12 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
I watch his video before. He does a great job on his video shooting.
Having that reference on the hat really helps.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:12 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,394 Posts
I velcroed a key chain cam to my hat - had to add some up angle because I was not getting the plane in view. Not the qualify of the previous video - but works for me.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
I velcroed a key chain cam to my hat - had to add some up angle because I was not getting the plane in view. Not the qualify of the previous video - but works for me.
getting the hat on the same each time can be important. I am terrible at turning my eyes and not my head so I am certain hat cam antics for me would be bad