SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Is anyone building with this foam ? How does it hold up ?(durable) Is it like building with FFF foam. ( same glue,carbon rod in the wing, paint and so on)http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Is anyone building with this foam ? How does it hold up ?(durable) Is it like building with FFF foam. ( same glue,carbon rod in the wing, paint and so on)http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
Strange.... that is extruded polystyrene aka Beer cooler foam, not sure i have seen anyone use this.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Strange.... that is extruded polystyrene aka Beer cooler foam, not sure i have seen anyone use this.
I found a thread about it, but I haven't started to read about it yet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:53 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
I found a thread about it, but I haven't started to read about it yet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245
Interesting.... if it is good enough for a Polaris copy, it must be good stuff. That reminds me.... I need to build one of these before it snows.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
I would like to try a Polaris.But we don't have much snow, and it's hard to walk on water to retrieve it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
I would like to try a Polaris.But we don't have much snow, and it's hard to walk on water to retrieve it.
I flew one off grass, they are silly fun

http://www.modelplanefoam.com/index....ver-beam-test/
Thickness: Readiboard - 4.0-4.3mm; Dow - 5.2-5.5mm; MPF - 5.4-5.6mm

This product is the thickest, and is the heavies in the 'side by side compare test. I get that the Blue foam is weakest <and cheapest>. This beats pulling the paper off ready board. However being thickest and heaviest is not often the quality people look for to build a light model... but it looks like it would work.

Also there is directional strength to consider, which direction were the samples cut from? FFF is twice as stong one direction then the other since there are waves in thickness.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:23 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,956 Posts
I'm a MPF believer. Two polarii and a Slowly. I've seen no waves. The waves were for gluing the foam to a wall. The MPF guys got the foam maker to not add them.

I've been following the Ellipso thread... and one is on my list.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I'm a MPF believer. Two polarii and a Slowly. I've seen no waves. The waves were for gluing the foam to a wall. The MPF guys got the foam maker to not add them.

the FFF has bad waves, there was a True Blucor before that had no waves, its no longer around. I am interested in how the MPF differs from Depron, but not enough to buy $50 worth.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,956 Posts
On the MPF thread, there's discussion about ways to sell lesser quantities but, there's still the shipping costs. I bought a box and split it with another RCer after I put a "offer notice" on the bulletin board at the LHS and he responded. That might be an option.

The foam doesn't have the "skin" that depron seems to always have. On my Polarii, I've uses a thin coat of WBPU primer to give it a skin. On the slowly, I did not. It's a little stiffer then dollar tree w/o paper... and in the one test I did, MPF is a bit lighter, per unit area.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post

I love both these models!!! I hope to build both of them myself, however I don't have a lake to fly from so I'll fly off grass and put wheels on the Slowly.

I have lots of the FFF to use yet so I'll stay with it because I'm cheap but it doesn't compare to the MPF or Depron. They really make a beautiful model. You did a great job on building, thanks for posting the picture.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Hey Ron and Gary,
You guy's O.K.? I know Gary is in N.Y. and Ron is in PA but Sandy is headed in your direction and I was thinking about you.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
Hey Ron and Gary,
You guy's O.K.? I know Gary is in N.Y. and Ron is in PA but Sandy is headed in your direction and I was thinking about you.
Thanks for thinking of us. We were w/o power for a few hours this morning due to a blown transformer that has already been repaired. There is alot of flooding and wind here but not alot of rain. Here are some pics of the neighborhood just south of here. I'm sure the power will be out again soon. The worst will be from 6pm to 2am tonight. Be in touch later.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
Hey Ron and Gary,
I think we are ok here is Central PA. We came from Tornado alley in the mid west, these things come with warning.

Here is a pic I seen on Facebook this morning
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
We are getting pounded im only 2 miles from LBI we are getting hit hard already with winds in the 75mph range.....power flickering major flooding all over the place....This is going to be bad real bad..The storm is said to make landfall only 35 miles south of me

A short video in my yard about 1hr ago and things have picked up a lot more since...

smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:54 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Take cover guys and keep in touch. Smitty, have you thought about evacuolation????
That's hitting really close!!!!

Wow, y'all were in my thoughts and now in my prayers!!