HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:51 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Sorry - this turned out long - did not notice it until it was posted.....I should get like 10 post counts for this

Yes - it has paper on both sides. I have always removed it. I sprayed it with a product called Awesome - got it at Dollar Tree also.

There is a thread here - think it is called Divinity - it is a flying wing - I built one and it was built from DT foam. The guy who came up with that design made a video of removing the paper. The newer DT foam, I believe it just peals right off. If you go with awesome - do it outside and somewhere you do not care about. It is strong stuff.

I have also read people leave the paper on for added strength - if the paper just peals off, I would recommend removing it.

Glue - my favorite is UHU. Hard to find. I will see if I can find a link to it. It runs about $7-$8 per tube. Do not use Welders - it will melt the foam.

CA glue may work - have not used it - may daOtherGuys know if it needs to be foam safe or not.

Hot glue - this can weigh things down a bit, but good in places you really want to make sure stays on - like the firewall/motor mount.

Gorilla Glue - wonder stuff. Get the white, especially if you use white foam. When I apply it (do not use allot), I use the blue painters tape to seal the seam - most times both sides - just depends. For example, if you are gluing the left fuse to the bottom piece, tape on the outside is a must - keeps the foam from coming out and on the inside. The reason is to get the glue to expand into the foam.

One of those things you just figure out how you like it. If the foam expands out of the tape, smooth it out before it hardens - sometimes easier than removing it later - which really isn't a big deal, just an extra step.

Make sure to always use a sharp razor blade. When it gets a little dull, and it happens pretty quickly, it will tear the foam. I use a sharpening stone a couple times, but for important cuts, I use a new blade.

Some guys use those razor knives that you can break off the old piece, I have always used an xacto knife with #11 blades - cheap at wallyworld. Either way - pay attention to how well it cuts.

I am sure everyone finds their own way of doing things - part of the fun.

Here is a link to UHU: RCFoam: http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...868fd3351410c7

I have ordered foam from this place before - no complaints - but it has been some time ago. There are probably other places also, but I have not been able to find it in a regular store, Michaels, nothing.

Here is the video from the Divinity thread with some build instructions and paper removal. Here is the video from the Divinity thread with some build instructions and paper removal.

Probably some helpful hits even if you are not building that plane.

Make sure to take pictures. We like pictures.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
47 Posts
Hmmm. Let's see now, helicowBob. We got how to strip the paper, what glue to use, how to cut out the foam, how to hold the fuselage together using blue tape, how to clean up the squished out glue, and a bonus chip suggestion for instructions on removing the paper. Nope, not too long. Thanks very much. Just the kind of concise help I've been looking for. MJS
MartinJS is offline Find More Posts by MartinJS
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
The last batch of DT foam I used, the paper peeled off easily by rolling it onto a piece of PVC. I would definitely go with that for a first build. It is only 4mm thick as compared to 5mm for FFF or Model Plane Foam (Depron is 6mm) so you will have to adjust where necessary. UHU Por is getting harder to find and more expensive but it is great glue to use on foamies like these. I am now using Beacon Foam Tac and can tell you from experience that it is the closest thing to UHU I have used and it is less expensive. You will love this plane.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterysIncluded View Post
The last batch of DT foam I used, the paper peeled off easily by rolling it onto a piece of PVC. I would definitely go with that for a first build. It is only 4mm thick as compared to 5mm for FFF or Model Plane Foam (Depron is 6mm) so you will have to adjust where necessary. UHU Por is getting harder to find and more expensive but it is great glue to use on foamies like these. I am now using Beacon Foam Tac and can tell you from experience that it is the closest thing to UHU I have used and it is less expensive. You will love this plane.
I started a thread war over that Beacon FAB Tac some time ago. Beacon makes the Ultimate RC Foam Glue <URCFG> and it was selling for $12 a bottle. Foam tac, same bottle at Wal Mart Fabric / Sewing department was $4 for the same size. They got seriously mad, insisted it was not the same glue, it would eat foam.... I used URCFG's instructions and it would fine.
Fab Tac
http://www.allstitch.net/product/fab...ottle-3812.cfm
URCFG
http://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=pr...category_id=90
I see now its $5.99 a bottle
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I started a thread war over that Beacon FAB Tac some time ago. Beacon makes the Ultimate RC Foam Glue <URCFG> and it was selling for $12 a bottle. Foam tac, same bottle at Wal Mart Fabric / Sewing department was $4 for the same size. They got seriously mad, insisted it was not the same glue, it would eat foam.... I used URCFG's instructions and it would fine.
Fab Tac
http://www.allstitch.net/product/fab...ottle-3812.cfm
URCFG
http://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=pr...category_id=90
I see now its $5.99 a bottle
I've used Fab Tac too and it works just fine but I have noticed that it is a bit thicker than Foam Tac and can foam a bit. Nothing like Gorilla Glue but it does foam. I notice it more when it dries around the nozzle than with what I'm gluing and it is not an issue at all. The nice thing is that you can pick it up at Walmart or Michaels if you need a bottle quick and the price is right. I never tried the URCFG but I notice it is discontinued now.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
DT foam is good for target practice too. lol
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the good comments guys and good to hear from you Gary!

I was surfing around and when I saw "fly it without any pilot training" I had to read about this hovercraft. Pretty cool.....
http://news.yahoo.com/hover-vehicle-...171401941.html
DaDesign is online now Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
Hey, thanks for all the good comments guys and good to hear from you Gary!

I was surfing around and when I saw "fly it without any pilot training" I had to read about this hovercraft. Pretty cool.....
http://news.yahoo.com/hover-vehicle-...171401941.html
126 days til Christmas
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterysIncluded View Post
126 days til Christmas
Think I'll ask my wife now so she will have time to place the order!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Does anyone have a quick answer on the CG location of the cub ellipso please?

Thanks a lot
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Does anyone have a quick answer on the CG location of the cub ellipso please?

Thanks a lot
Jim
Hi Jim,
I shoot from one third to fourty percent of the cord from the leading edge. This will get you up on the maiden. Then, this is what I do. I gain altitude, cut the throttle and trim to the glide I like. This is great for good smooth landings. The only other manual trim is if the plane does a nose up when I add full throttle. Then I add down thrust to the motor. Another thing I like to do is, if the plane does not track stright on take off I will add right thrust so I don't have to add rudder. I like to add power slowly and watch the plane gain speed then lift off on it's own.

All planes fly different, even of the same model. So, down and right thrust may or may not be needed but other than that I use the trim. That is the great thing about these new radio's we have.

I know that is not a quick answer but this is just how "I" do it.

I would love to see a picture of your cub!!!

Dalton
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:35 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Check these pictures out.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...ish=15&start=0
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:47 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Great video - "Incredible shots by booster mounted camera from launch through water touchdown."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_aY4DApfuw
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Those are some great photo .
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:38 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Those are some great photo .
I agree Buddy. I made it through page 4, I'll finish them tonight. I have been on the aircraft carrier "Yorktown" on page four. It was really cool to see those pictures. Some of these would be suitable for framing. Thanks Bob

I'll watch the video tonight also.