HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:32 AM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
But is it basically just increasing everything by the same percentage to get a larger version or is there more to it than that?

I ask, because I found some plans for a EPP Slick, really like the slick, that I would like to make larger - like 42".

Any thoughts?

Bob
Cheers Bob,

I use Scale and Tile to resize plans but you need them a single sheet plan. I would love to have a 42" slick if you could share.

If you only have titled, I can put it together, scan them to a 1 sheet plan at work, and then It could be scaled to size then tiled again.

You have to watch you foam thickness for cuts and slots when you scale since that too changes.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
I have experimented with that and it wasn't good. This is coming soon...http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~tonbo/airframespec.html
This is VERY simular construction to Tobo's Mini Cassutt that Firetrappe has a thread on RCG. Looking at the parts, as soon as I seen the wheel pants, I know that type of build.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Gravity always gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
This is the link with the plans - right here on RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108951

There are two versions. Here is a direct like to V2:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=27

There is only 3 pages and I just happened to stumble on them. Not much activity.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:
This is the link with the plans - right here on RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108951

There are two versions. Here is a direct like to V2:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=27

There is only 3 pages and I just happened to stumble on them. Not much activity.
This is easy, what size are you wanting it to be, I can resize this tonight after work.

This guy is from the 3DHS thread, 3DHS just started selling EPP Slicks.
I think I am going to drop this into AutoCad, I see several simple improvements that could even make this better.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:55 AM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
I have the 32" EPP Extra - I have built foamies (leadfeather's YAK and Edge) but this thing flys so much better. Maybe the motor, as I went with the hacker, no idea, but it is really nice.

I was watching (and waiting) for the epp slick, but just have not been as interested in it - not sure why. Maybe a 38" foamie is not as popular as the 32. Maybe the cost of equipment, not sure, but there just does not seem to be the draw. There is a lot of bracing, which I understand.

As far as resizing these plans. I do not want to step on 3DHS in any way, but I was thinking 40 inch might be interesting. I was thinking of making the fuse the same way skywing does (square), and use ply support structures. Would be a fun task. Still working on how to do the structures.

I was thinking of something I saw long ago. It basically allowed you to trace something, while duplicating, and enlarging it as the same time. I will see if I can draw it up and take a picture, but I thought, if I could attach the dremel to the other end, then I could trace a small version and have the dremel route out a larger version in ply. Maybe too much, but still messing with the idea. In the long run, just want clean lines...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
I have the 3DHS Extra on order, should be in 12/12 according to the site. Their AJ Slick, not a lot different is 30+ dollars higher so I will build my own now.

I really like the 28 inch stuff for Indoor, hard to find. I just finished the Depron Ballerina Bipe and it fricken is great indoors, very slow and smooth.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8061
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:59 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
I have been looking for something I can fly in very small areas - my family room. I was looking at E-Flites UMX (This it is an edge). Figured if nothing else, it would be fun for awhile, but once it was al messed up, I would have teh small electronics. However, never could pull the trigger.

I will have to look a the bipe.

Are the plans only available in the mag or are the posed here?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
Milling

This sounds interesting and possibly easy to do. I suppose when I make the pattern, it becomes a re-usable thing.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21913

Ron - already found that bipe and got my answer. Just curious, what is the wing span?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:13 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
I have been thinking about adding balsa/ply support to fuses. Kind of how SkyWing does it

Picture here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3986000

I could take my dremal and "mill" (assume that is what the process is called) the balsa/ply by hand, but I would bet that would get real ugly very quickly.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas or have seen tools/equipment that do this? Not looking to start a factory, but come to think of it....

Anyways, adding this type of support to an EPP EA may be fun and a good thing.

Any thoughts?

Bob
If you do a lot of this you'll need a CNC cutter or laser cutter. This is a neat video cutting wing ribs.
Laser cutting balsa (2 min 7 sec)

If you're just building one plane then an x-acto knife works on the lite-ply very well. I like how SkyWing did that for sure!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
This sounds interesting and possibly easy to do. I suppose when I make the pattern, it becomes a re-usable thing.

Ron - already found that bipe and got my answer. Just curious, what is the wing span?
However, this milling looks really kool!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
I am sure that is not "cost effective" in my case but that is pretty slick...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:39 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
I am sure that is not "cost effective" in my case but that is pretty slick...
Yeah, I was referring to the starting a factory "but come to think of it..." comment.

That AJ Slick will be a great build. Keep us in da loop, I may want to build one myself for da winter months.

A lot of da RC Vendors have their "Black Friday Sales" coming up. Have you found any great deals we need to be looking for?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:

This Bipe is a 28 inch WS.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
Yeah, I was referring to the starting a factory "but come to think of it..." comment.

That AJ Slick will be a great build. Keep us in da loop, I may want to build one myself for da winter months.

A lot of da RC Vendors have their "Black Friday Sales" coming up. Have you found any great deals we need to be looking for?
Not yet. I tend to believe this year is just not going to be great. Hope I am wrong. Not sure what I need, but I am sure I need something :-)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:44 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
That A J S l i c k will be a great build. Keep us in da loop, I may want to build one myself for da winter months.
I am looking at the "Slick" the Bob mentioned, lets not call it an "A J S l i c k" <3DHS> since people might take offense / legal issues over that.

I really like their products and they do a great design and testing, there is no doubt they have a solid product.... I just wish they would get some in.