Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:57 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Let's hope not. I would think most of these guys want to be reelected...who knows.

Anyways, Dalton, wanted to let you know I am enjoying the tx lipo you pointed me to - I have only charged it once. Should have a bunny pictured on it.

How low do you normally allow it to get before you charge it, of course that stil may be a while.....
I have a 3 TX Lipo. I never full charge it but you dont want it going below the allow cell voltge. Also I notice once the get to a certain point, they start to drop quick.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I have a 3 TX Lipo. I never full charge it but you dont want it going below the allow cell voltge. Also I notice once the get to a certain point, they start to drop quick.
Same here. I keep mine charged between 9 and 10.9 volts only because I don't want the quick drop on the low side. However thats still high voltage for the transmitter but it seems to handle it O.K. and it holds that range forever.

Postal Service is getting picky about what they'll carry. I'm on Tower Hobbies mailing list but don't remember getting that one. Seems I'm on every RC mailing list out there.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:44 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
On this TX Lipo - I did fully charge it the first (and only time). I was under the impression it was designed to not over load the TX.

I did see 12v in the display - probably should have been an indication to me.

Guess I will start not fully charging it in the future to be safe.

Thanks
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
On this TX Lipo - I did fully charge it the first (and only time). I was under the impression it was designed to not over load the TX.

I did see 12v in the display - probably should have been an indication to me.

Guess I will start not fully charging it in the future to be safe.

Thanks
Different radios have different tollerences. Some dont mind the voltage, it can be more the "in Rush" current that is a problem. The Hobby City one I got is 6C low in rush. a 3S lipo full charge is 12.6 volts. I changed to 12 and crossed my fingers plugging it into my 9CHP.

Like Da Dude mentioned, I cannot alter my low voltage warning and if let go that low the lipo could be at risk for a shorter life, once it drops below 10 I am ready to charge.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:37 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
I think the factory battery was 9.5 volts so we should be good. I agree, if you get passed the "plug in" and have no surges, all is well.

Two days at eweek and the crowds are really growing but NO scratchbuilts and no one seems to have any interest in them. Everyone is very friendly and happy to talk about their favorite ARF or RTF but not building of any type. Vendors are selling batterys, ARF's, RTF's and radio's but I didn't see pilots buying building products. I've always felt that designing and building was two thirds of the hobby with flying being the remainder but maybe the hobby is more one dimensional now. Everyone wants instant gratification in the world, not saying that is bad but it's like the old saying "maybe sometimes we need to slow down and smell the roses". Teach the younger pilots not only how to fly but how to build, how and why the plane flys, etc. We learn from each other here on this forum.

Maybe we need fly-in's for scratchbuilders, inventors, thinkers, and such or maybe I'm just an old that needs to get with the program. One man said that he can buy a great flying ARF thats already been proven for the same or less money than building and I'm sure he's correct because the handful of parts I bought totaled what my flying buddy paid for a 3D Edge. All he has to do is bind and fly it. It had everything including the receiver. It was used but in excellent shape. He'll be flying it tomorrow and I've still got to build mine. No matter, us scratchbuilders get great satisfaction out of building each others designs and "Thats my story and I'm sticking to it."
Last edited by DaDesign; Sep 30, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Some of us are still building things that require sticks and glue.

Your not in a lost world Dude, eweek is just not that world... It will be ok.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:22 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Now that's what I'm fascinated with. A shop full of stuff. Looks like a lot going on there. I like da plane. I've got to get back to some iron-on film covering.

I do understand where the other guys are coming from. One of them said he didn't know how to build so its good that he can still be in the hobby without knowing. Another said that he had no room and his wife would kill him if he had model parts every where. The neat thing is that we can all get together and fly even if we have different paths that lead us to the flight field.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:07 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
Now that's what I'm fascinated with. A shop full of stuff. Looks like a lot going on there. I like da plane. I've got to get back to some iron-on film covering.

I do understand where the other guys are coming from. One of them said he didn't know how to build so its good that he can still be in the hobby without knowing. Another said that he had no room and his wife would kill him if he had model parts every where. The neat thing is that we can all get together and fly even if we have different paths that lead us to the flight field.
Sadly people are soo busy these days, they hardly have time to put together a ARF. Another thing is the hobby, for some reason seems to have become more affordable over time. 25 years ago it was hard to afford a kit much less an ARF.

Here is a little bit of interest.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:30 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
SEFF Theif Caught

There was a picture floating around in the threads of him. He wore an AMA straw type hat and stole some stuff at SEFF but got away. The guy from After Dark lighting systems recognized him. Started watching him. He went into Lukes RC tent. After Dark guy warns Luke and the watch began. He put couple batteries and things in his bag then oh paid for one of each.Luke went to the guy and said I need to talk to you. He tried to run,After Dark guy/Tom? Grabbed him by his belt and coue if other folk snatched him up and held him till the police got there Game over
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:54 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
There was a picture floating around in the threads of him. He wore an AMA straw type hat and stole some stuff at SEFF but got away. The guy from After Dark lighting systems recognized him. Started watching him. He went into Lukes RC tent. After Dark guy warns Luke and the watch began. He put couple batteries and things in his bag then oh paid for one of each.Luke went to the guy and said I need to talk to you. He tried to run,After Dark guy/Tom? Grabbed him by his belt and coue if other folk snatched him up and held him till the police got there Game over
Good. I'm glad they caught him. I'll bet he had plenty of money in his wallet to buy what he had stolen. I've read that people like that do it for the thrill of it. The bad thing is that the police will do little to punish him. I hope he is ban from ALL AMA events. Did this happen at eweek?
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:09 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Have you seen this 120 mile per hour RareBear?....

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hobbykin...12/cozbvIfN3hs
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Quote:
Good. I'm glad they caught him. I'll bet he had plenty of money in his wallet to buy what he had stolen. I've read that people like that do it for the thrill of it. The bad thing is that the police will do little to punish him. I hope he is ban from ALL AMA events. Did this happen at eweek?
Yes it did
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:51 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Quote:
Have you seen this 120 mile per hour RareBear?....

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hobbykin...12/cozbvIfN3hs
I already seen one on RCG that the owner had not build yet and was wanting to trade it for nearly anything.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:45 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Last night got down in the fourties and I saw some tent campers at eweek. I hope they're OK.

Now that I think about it all the things I bought at eweek was from Luke and Sue. I always have a long talk with Sue and we get caught up on how we've been etc. She seems to be more talkative (southern word) than Luke. Great folks. They stand behind what they sale. She was telling me that they had a starter go bad on the motor home and it cost a lot to have it repaired so I know they didn't make a lot of profit this trip.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:57 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,984 Posts
Quote:
Last night got down in the fourties and I saw some tent campers at eweek. I hope they're OK.

Now that I think about it all the things I bought at eweek was from Luke and Sue. I always have a long talk with Sue and we get caught up on how we've been etc. She seems to be more talkative (southern word) than Luke. Great folks. They stand behind what they sale. She was telling me that they had a starter go bad on the motor home and it cost a lot to have it repaired so I know they didn't make a lot of profit this trip.
Our Open Fun Fly / Camp out got very chilly so I know how they feel.

Luke is not a chatty fella at all. I seen them at the HuckFest in Ohio. They go a lot of miles and with the motor fuel cost alone, I am not sure how they make a lot of money.