HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
anyone have a 2212-6 motor or equivalent?

I need to know the dimensions on the motor mount that comes with it.

I think I used to just use a 1.25X1.25" square but not sure, if it was 1" square.

Thanks
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:45 PM
Gravity gets me down.
helicow's Avatar
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
First flight, still tail heavy - had to give almost full down to keep level, brought it in and lost my mind since I had full down, nosed it in a little. Nose broke off just in front of LG.

Glued back together - add tape to hide the scars. Also added 3/4 oz of lead to nose. Balances at 3 inches from LE with battery all the way forward.


I little windy but could not wait any longer. Flew nice and level - best I can tell in the wind, however the wings look like a crescent moon on very easy turns...I am now adding km steps to the bottom and another poplar dowel.

Will update tomorrow. Guess my carbon is a just not stiff enough.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:48 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
BatterysIncluded's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
1.25 x 1.25 will JUST fit. For a little leeway you could use 1.5 x 1.5. I have planes with 2212-6's that have both size firewalls.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Thanks batterysincluded


what do ya'll think about my using this ruler for a brace.

the main body will be three layers of foamboard foam and gorilla glue.

Im thinking it should be ok, especially if I cover the outside with tape or coat it with something.

This is the basic outline though.

Was gonna make this a flat bottom, imma thinking Ill move the fuselage down so I have something to grab onto and throw.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:56 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
BatterysIncluded's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
Thanks batterysincluded


what do ya'll think about my using this ruler for a brace.

the main body will be three layers of foamboard foam and gorilla glue.

Im thinking it should be ok, especially if I cover the outside with tape or coat it with something.

This is the basic outline though.

Was gonna make this a flat bottom, imma thinking Ill move the fuselage down so I have something to grab onto and throw.
I'm thinking you may not need a brace with a 3 layer laminate. How thick is the foam board? I bet if you used reinforced tape from wingtip to wingtip in between the layers before gluing and on the top and bottom (in same spot) that might just do the trick. You could always put a brace in if that doesn't make it stiff enough for you.
If you do need a spline of some type you may be able to make a slit in the foam a little short of wingtip to wingtip and then glue a thin piece of wood in there. I have done this on several builds and it worked fine. You could also consider putting poly-strapping in between the layers of foam (the stuff they bail up the wood with in home depot and lowes). It works well but is heavier than ply or CF.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
thats what I was thinking.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:42 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
First flight, still tail heavy - had to give almost full down to keep level, brought it in and lost my mind since I had full down, nosed it in a little. Nose broke off just in front of LG.

Glued back together - add tape to hide the scars. Also added 3/4 oz of lead to nose. Balances at 3 inches from LE with battery all the way forward.


I little windy but could not wait any longer. Flew nice and level - best I can tell in the wind, however the wings look like a crescent moon on very easy turns...I am now adding km steps to the bottom and another poplar dowel.

Will update tomorrow. Guess my carbon is a just not stiff enough.

Bob
Hey Bob,
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your plane. Having to add weight to make it balance works but makes it heavy. For it to fly really nice it needs to be light as possible. I'm sure it can handle the extra weight but I really want it to fly great for you. Mine flew awesome from the first maiden flight. The kfm steps should help a lot with the wing flex. I hope tomorrows flights will be successful.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:45 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
thats what I was thinking.
If you don't need a spar that will make it light!!! If you do need one, I built mine on my F22 like an I beam. It's light and very strong.

Looking good so far!!!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
I thought about cutting the ruler into three pieces length wise and laying them in like like an eye beam.....like you described, so I dont have to use three sheets, can just use two, but Im thinking this foam is thinner than Im used too.


Three sheets of this foam is 1/2" thick.

I was using two sheets of FFF with the strykers lykes, and I believe two sheets of that was just shy of 1/2".

So maybe I can get away without using any internal bracing, as three laminated sheets of foamboard will have gorilla glue on two layers, and that stuff is strong.

Id prefer the brace be imbedded but I supposed I can glue up the wing as mentioned, and see how strong it is first, and then if need be inlay a brace.

This is actually fun when you dont rush it. lol
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Last edited by inline300; Apr 01, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:38 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
I thought about cutting the ruler into three pieces length wise and laying them in like like an eye beam.....like you described, so I dont have to use three sheets, can just use two, but Im thinking this foam is thinner than Im used too.


Three sheets of this foam is 1/2" thick.

I was using two sheets of FFF with the strykers lykes, and I believe two sheets of that was just shy of 1/2".

So maybe I can get away without using any internal bracing, as three laminated sheets of foamboard will have gorilla glue on two layers, and that stuff is strong.

Id prefer the brace be imbedded but I supposed I can glue up the wing as mentioned, and see how strong it is first, and then if need be inlay a brace.

This is actually fun when you dont rush it. lol
I would think three sheets with gorilla glue would be strong enough. I like the shape of this one.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:24 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
BatterysIncluded's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
I used an I-beam spar on my 32" Funjet (Primejet8). The internal spar was 1/32" ply and the top and bottom spars were 1/64" ply. It worked really well until I flew it into a basketball backstop at WOT and converted it back into FFF. Used it on my typhoon delta also.
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:53 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,247 Posts
WOW!! Gary, That is a couple of fine looking models. You're a great scratchbuilder!

That is some good use of FFF. I wonder if the manufacture of FFF knows how creative scratchbuilders are with their product? I would think that it would be a good selling point (or just fun) if they posted pictures on their web site.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Converted it back to FFF...


Your mention of that brought back a bad memory using foamboard.


Realized yesterday, when I was sizing up the funjet 3 view's wing, that something wasnt right, when compared to my concept rendering.....so I used the rendering to transfer the figures and realized that my version has a slightly thicker wing, and more area in the front part next to the fuselage, I like that look better so I went with that. Gonna make finding CG interesting though.


Not sure if I wanna do two fins or one center fin...what do yall think?
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:06 AM
NY Freedom Fighter
BatterysIncluded's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Thanks but I'm just following the plans. The designers get all the credit for plans that go together so well. I'm impressed with people that share their plans for free all because of a love for the hobby. I feel compelled to give back but I don't have the skills yet. Anyway, back to your design, how about 2 center fins on the fuse angled out at about 60 degrees?

Edit: Found some pics

BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Thought about that...that first one is actually the reason I got the idea to mix the two different plans, say this will be real close to that, except this'n will have the ducts.


Id like to get ahold of some of that industrial coating for foam...but it aint cheap...
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo Low cost XBee/GPS plane locator plans rich smith UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 5 Feb 04, 2009 02:57 PM
Easy way to make a quick, good looking jet Tumbler Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 54 Feb 08, 2005 05:26 PM
How to build a good looking pager motor plane! gbarc Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 9 Jul 04, 2004 06:09 PM