HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:30 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Finishing another foamy for a friend, he likes some punch to his colors.
That looks good Ron. Now I know who I can get to build for me.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
after looking at prices, that idea doesnt seem very cost effective.


pretty sure I thought about this before, and I think this is why I didnt do it.


guess that leaves fiberglass or the water based polycrylic.


I know with a 22 or so inch wingspan, which is what im after, I can use shipping tape and need no internal bracing, but Id like to have a smooth outter finish, something.

and the madness continues....
You could build an Ellipstick.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601639

Untitled (4 min 20 sec)
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:32 PM
BANG IT!!!
DaOldGuy's Avatar
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
That looks good Ron. Now I know who I can get to build for me.
These are so easy, you could build 3 in the time it takes me to do one.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:48 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
These are so easy, you could build 3 in the time it takes me to do one.
They look good and seem to fly really sweet. I may have to build one. How well do they perform outdoors?
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:56 PM
BANG IT!!!
DaOldGuy's Avatar
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
They look good and seem to fly really sweet. I may have to build one. How well do they perform outdoors?
They dont like high winds but what foamy does. They are a tad heavy for indoors unless it is a large indoor.

This is the 3rd I have done for friends, they love them. I am going to build the P51 Mustang Version for grins next.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:00 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Dat will be yours.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
What has TallFlyer got cooking now? A new version? Air brakes and the such.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post


That thing was so strange yet perfect, I couldnt look away. lol

Made me wanna fly some asap, too.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline300 View Post
That thing was so strange yet perfect, I couldnt look away. lol

Made me wanna fly some asap, too.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat myself.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2010
13 Posts
So, these little planes have got me intrigued. I have all balsa glow planes and to be honest id love something like the low or high wing aero to punt around the local sports field or our flying field early morning before work.

I have very little idea about electric and foam planes so if i can ask some rank newbie questions that'd be great.

I understand the lipo batt rating and the basic concept of an esc and motors but motor sizes for the size planes... i have no clue.

I will build as per plan probably the highwing aero vII first what motor esc and batt size would you reccomend? I will be shopping at hobbyking as the prices are too good.

What is the best material? EPP sheet is about $67..... 20kg/m3 (approx. 1.3lb/ft3) density expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam. One (1) sheet measuring 50 x 600 x 900mm. (approx. 2 x 24 x 36 inch.).

Depron is cheaper at around $20 a sheet and foam core board is $17.50 per 40" x 60"
(1015mm x 1520mm) sheet.

What thickness sheet do i need?

What materials and tools will i need for the build?

I have read alot of pages in this thread but i dont honestly think i could read them all....

Any help much appreciated... I really want to build one of these asap!
-Nate- is offline Find More Posts by -Nate-
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nate- View Post
So, these little planes have got me intrigued. I have all balsa glow planes and to be honest id love something like the low or high wing aero to punt around the local sports field or our flying field early morning before work.

I have very little idea about electric and foam planes so if i can ask some rank newbie questions that'd be great.

I understand the lipo batt rating and the basic concept of an esc and motors but motor sizes for the size planes... i have no clue.

I will build as per plan probably the highwing aero vII first what motor esc and batt size would you reccomend? I will be shopping at hobbyking as the prices are too good.

What is the best material? EPP sheet is about $67..... 20kg/m3 (approx. 1.3lb/ft3) density expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam. One (1) sheet measuring 50 x 600 x 900mm. (approx. 2 x 24 x 36 inch.).

Depron is cheaper at around $20 a sheet and foam core board is $17.50 per 40" x 60"
(1015mm x 1520mm) sheet.

What thickness sheet do i need?

What materials and tools will i need for the build?

I have read alot of pages in this thread but i dont honestly think i could read them all....

Any help much appreciated... I really want to build one of these asap!
Hi Nate,
On the Depron I would think 5mm and maybe 10mm for the wing. On the EPP I will ask Ron what he recommends plus his suggestions on tools etc.

I used a 1000kv motor found here.... http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...8&productname=
I'm sure HK has the same thing with the esc they recommend. I would think 18 amp.

I need to do a build post on this one but the old style on the first page may help. The differance is the landing gear is bolted on. I used a 1/4 in. ply in the bottom of the fuselage with blind nuts. Also, I made the wing stronger by using larger Carbon Fiber on the LE and in the center where it bolts on. Look a couple of pages back for the pictures.

We'll be more than happy to answer questions as you build so PLEASE feel free to ask questions. We'll help anyway we can.

Thanks again Nate;
Dalton
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
are you in the united states? some folks go to dollar store or walmart or other craft stores and buy a product called rediboard or foamboard. Its a piece of foam thats simillar to depron, except it has cardboard laminated to one or both sides. Folks soak these with water and remove the cardboard. its a pain in the ass to do but its just a couple bucks for a pretty good size sheet of foam.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:58 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
DaDesign's Avatar
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Nate,
I will start a "building tips for the V.II" on post #12 of the first page tonight.
Dalton

I built mine with Fan Fold Foam that I bought at Lowes. Fly's great but doesn't look all that.
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
Gravity gets me down.
helicow's Avatar
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Progress

I put a poplar on the leading edge and a 3mm carbon rod embeded in the wing where the mounting plate will be able to go over it.

horz attached, vertical just pinned in to see how the control rods fit.

Wing still needs to have some gorilla glue that escaped....:-) Do not yet know if I will color tape the wings yet or maybe just the leading edge plus some other "touches".

I think I am still going to go with "flexible" LG, I liked the original - always nice to see them collapse versus ripping out.
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
BANG IT!!!
DaOldGuy's Avatar
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nate- View Post

What is the best material? EPP sheet is about $67..... 20kg/m3 (approx. 1.3lb/ft3) density expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam. One (1) sheet measuring 50 x 600 x 900mm. (approx. 2 x 24 x 36 inch.).
Personally, since these planes are built with a stiff foam product as the base design you would be best sticking with the depron type foam.

Its not that it cannot be done in EPP, it the construction differences with carbon fiber and such that would require veiwing the project differently. Also, an EPP build done correctly would weigh a lot less so it would change your CG with the recomended hardware / allow running lighter hardware.

You can get EPP to the thickness needed from venders like RCFoam.com and RCSKYFlyer.com and it be much cheaper then the 2 inch you have quoted, unless you have a way to saw cut it.

Typically to build some of the Elip planes I would be using a 9-10mm for the wing, 5-6mm for everything else, structural bulk heads and suck would be 9-10mm. It would make a very nice flyer if you wanted to take the plans and the steps to go EPP.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo Low cost XBee/GPS plane locator plans rich smith UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 5 Feb 04, 2009 03:57 PM
Easy way to make a quick, good looking jet Tumbler Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 54 Feb 08, 2005 06:26 PM
How to build a good looking pager motor plane! gbarc Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 9 Jul 04, 2004 07:09 PM