HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
You got that right partner....We have a small 10 acre ranch. Our neighbors had them and we decided to give them a try - wonderful animals. Keep my pasture mowed. We sell the calves. So I started with helicopters - ESky King 2 - got OK, no 3D, did a couple loops once, but never really relaxed - one mistake $$$$$.

Then I saw the foamie - slo-fly and that started addiction.

Had I known, might have been named lanecow :-)
Planecow......... Ever been to the Cincinnati Ohio Airport, I have strange flash backs everytime I think about the Pig Plane... It is Freaky...PlanePig........... Helicow, much better.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:06 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
What amazes me is that someone was paid to do that. A lot of wasted talent out there.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:17 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Well when I move to Iowa 10 years ago as a Desktop Technician, I was working in a conference room with some other techs, not a lot younger them me, but a little. I India young lady <network tech> walked in and asked the other techs "whos the old guy". With her India hitch in her english it came out da old guy. She of course at the time, was in her mid 20's and I was 33 at the time with solid grey hair. So it stuck, at one time I even had a domain name Daolguy.com with email addresses and everything. I often teased her about all of that.
Thats a cool nickname and how it came about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow
You got that right partner....We have a small 10 acre ranch. Our neighbors had them and we decided to give them a try - wonderful animals. Keep my pasture mowed. We sell the calves. So I started with helicopters - ESky King 2 - got OK, no 3D, did a couple loops once, but never really relaxed - one mistake $$$$$.

Then I saw the foamie - slo-fly and that started addiction.

Had I known, might have been named lanecow :-)
Yipee, I guessed it!!! I like your avatar, it goes with the name very well. Helicow sounds better than planeolcow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
Planecow......... Ever been to the Cincinnati Ohio Airport, I have strange flash backs everytime I think about the Pig Plane... It is Freaky...PlanePig........... Helicow, much better.
There is a saying down here in da south when something is just not going to happen and that is "when pigs fly." Do you think this has something to do with that saying?
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:34 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign View Post
There is a saying down here in da south when something is just not going to happen and that is "when pigs fly." Do you think this has something to do with that saying?
That was my point, the last thing I want to think about while at a connector airport is my flight will happen when pigs fly..... That thing is scary.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:59 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
Or the "cows" come home...
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:13 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
188 Posts
Well, I finally finished the 32" low wing EA Mamba. (I picked up some free Mamba stickers at RCX last weekend so hence the name. RCX is an annual event here in Southern CA for RC aircraft, cars, boats, tanks, rock climbers, etc. Mamba is a BL car motor from Castle Creations.)

I needed a low wing to add to my fleet to help me fly inverted and prep me for a warbird. The KFm2 airfoil was added for stability and I also cut a cough syrup prescription bottle for the canopy thinking it works with the color scheme. Although she's lightweight, I decided to use the same motor, prop and lipo set up as the larger high wing version.

The maiden take off went nicely but suddenly she banked and crashed. I anticipated her being a little touchy so I thought I had enough expo and reduced the throws. Guess it wasn't enough!

So back to the hanger to repair the cracks but she'll be back up sooner than later!

The EA story continues!

Steve
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build #38 (March 2014) F/A - 18
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:29 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Steve!

That is an awesome looking low wing!!! You did a great job. I like the colors and the canopy. Also the LG and the wingspan. The long hatch really opens up the entire electronics area. The green tips on the bottom should help with orientation in the air. It looks great next to the high wing!

So cool. I can't wait to get it on the first page!

Sorry you had problems on the maiden but when you get her set-up she should look really nice in the air!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:57 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Steve,

I would love to see some video of your Ellipso Aero's flying!!!

Dalton
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:58 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
A new wing for an old bird.

I feel like I have 500 flights on this airplane and I still get a thrill each time I fly it. It was the prototype and if it flew well then I was going to build a better looking plane but it flys so nice that I just kept flying this model. I have 30 something planes now but fly this one the most, so I decided to build a new wing for it. The old wing flew great and this one does as well but this one has no Carbon Fiber in it. I used balsa for the reinforcement. The engine cowling is a water bottle bottom.

Dalton
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:27 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
I think that balsa on the wings makes it look even better.

I also like the pop bottle. How did you go about that? Just find a bottle the right size or did you shrink it with heat?

bob

Dalton - looking at the pics real close, the one showing the pop bottle, it looks like the balsa is lifting up a little on the left wing.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:32 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
I think that balsa on the wings makes it look even better.

I also like the pop bottle. How did you go about that? Just find a bottle the right size or did you shrink it with heat?

bob

Dalton - looking at the pics real close, the one showing the pop bottle, it looks like the balsa is lifting up a little on the left wing.
Good eye Bob!!! I've been out in the shop regluing the balsa where the "spray glue" failed to bond. I used a different glue this time.

Yeah, the water bottle fit just right. It snaped over the 4 corners of the firewall and holds its self without any magnets or anything.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:35 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,384 Posts
that is just a nice touch - I will have to get one from my wife - she always has one around here some where. Looks like you sprayed it black maybe?
Old Apr 02, 2010, 03:38 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
Quote:
that is just a nice touch - I will have to get one from my wife - she always has one around here some where. Looks like you sprayed it black maybe?
I did. I painted it inside and out so if it gets scratched it will not show, maybe. I also put a picture of the bottom of the wing on the first page.

Thanks for the good remarks.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:55 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,576 Posts
Nice touch to your plane Dalton...now wheres the pylon racer?

Any of ye fellers have an old faulty 72 mhz receiver? I could use the antenna wire off it. Flew my latest toy yesterday and as I was walking inside I look down and theres only 3" of antenna wire left...where did it go...it was two foot long when I launched it? lol I checked online, the prices are nuts, after shipping its around 10 bucks for friggin wire. I have another rctimer 6x4 prop or two left, maybe someone would like to trade to try out that prop? Also have an rctimer 5x5.
inline300 is offline Find More Posts by inline300
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:11 AM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,229 Posts
I think I sold all my 72 mhz stuff when I went 4.2 but I'll check to see if I have anything. Maybe some of my friends that still fly 72 will have an old rx.

Were you happy with how your new plane flew? It sure looks great!

Finish the racer is next on the list!