SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:34 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,683 Posts
Discussion
Is the HET F-16 still a good choice?

The HET F-16 w/ 6904 and 2W-20 on 4S....

Or is there a beter choice?
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
349 Posts
I think it is. I logged the 33rd flight on mine today with the same setup you mentioned and I still love this jet. I've had 4 of the phase 3 f-16s and got tired of them breaking apart on me in flight. The only complaint I have about the het is that the inlet takes a beating even on good landings. Mine has a few cracks and chips in the gelcoat now, but I don't always fly in the best of fields. Btw if you do get it and go with that setup here is a great battery for only 26.99 http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack
I bought three of them and they do very very good. 5 min flights with some throttle management and just barely warm after landing
outtacontrol is offline Find More Posts by outtacontrol
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:17 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,683 Posts
I have these, lighter and more power.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9266
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,683 Posts
I already have the servos, receiver, ESC, a bungie, and the flying skills. I'm at a toss up whether to get the HET Super Sniper, F-16, or F-18 or something else if there is a new choice. I am aiming for fast and planning on keeping it light for better wing loading.

The only thing i don't like with the F-16 is the low hanging intake. What I do like is it is the smaller and lighter of the three so it should perform the best on the same power setup. Also since it is designed (full scale) as a single engine it would naturally have better ducting inside. The S.S. would too though.

Any help or opinions are appreciated.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:11 AM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
349 Posts
Between the three jets that you listed, the f-16 is going to be the fastest. The great thing about the f-16 is that it is both faster and slower than the super sniper. I love doing an all out WOT pass, and then coming down the field high alfa and really slow on the next pass. It's a very versatile jet with a wide flight envelope. IMHO the F-16 is the better choice, just be careful where you land it.
outtacontrol is offline Find More Posts by outtacontrol
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:14 AM
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
592 Posts
I had a HET F-16 until a tree grabbed it during a low landing approach It is nice and fast and the intakes are pretty strong on the new models. The old balsa F-18 flies well (easier to fly) but not as fast or as good looking. I never had a sniper so can't say.
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Have the F-18 with the 2w20 and use two 4S 2200mAh in parallel to make a 4400mAh. It hand-launches very easily and flight times are long but the speed is so-so. Maybe 110 or 115mph?
For speed I go with a high voltage setup using an ARC 28-47-2 and CC-HV45. With a 7S or 8S the F-20 and F-16 will just about leap out of my hand and the vertical performance is amazing. You have to see the 9S fly to believe it.
The power system runs fairly cool now that I changed to 6mm gold bullet connectors. The deans connectors on the harness couldn't handle the current and would get very hot. Haven't needed to bungee in a long time.

Regards,
Xwing
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:28 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jul 2008
164 Posts
Hey Evan

Where do you fly? I live in Charlotte also. I have a Sapac F-16, running on 4S 3300, and it's pretty quick. I belong to CAM and the new field we have is perfect for this and larger or quicker EDF's. We have short Bermuda grass that is great for belly landers, and last week one of the guys was able to rog with a HL F-16. Since I live near Sth Meck HS I did the Sapac maiden there and at first I thought the field would be plenty big enough but it really wasn't.
JETNC is offline Find More Posts by JETNC
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,683 Posts
I'm with the Flying Aces and fly at the Huntersville site and our new field at the speedway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETNC
Hey Evan

Where do you fly? I live in Charlotte also. I have a Sapac F-16, running on 4S 3300, and it's pretty quick. I belong to CAM and the new field we have is perfect for this and larger or quicker EDF's. We have short Bermuda grass that is great for belly landers, and last week one of the guys was able to rog with a HL F-16. Since I live near Sth Meck HS I did the Sapac maiden there and at first I thought the field would be plenty big enough but it really wasn't.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:45 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jul 2008
164 Posts
It's been a while since I've been to the Huntersville site, and I can't remember what it looks like. How's the grass out there? I was just out at the speedway a month or so ago and if I remember the grass was kinda tall, but it should be ok if it was cut back a little. I do like the paved runway though, thats very nice. Kinda like a carrier landing....

The nice thing about the F-16 is that it handles the wind very nicely. I did notice that it was windy every time I've been to the speedway field, but that shouldn't be a problem at all. For some reason that airframe just cuts through the wind with little affect on flying. At least on the foamy F-16's I've seen fly.
JETNC is offline Find More Posts by JETNC
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,688 Posts
Evan

I have had the Super Sniper and it met a very untimley death. It lasted about 1.75 flights when the wing folded.

It was cool enough that a bought another one but this has a moulded wing. Much stronger

I had a f-16 but never really flew it. It was an older kit and the 2.4 must have browned out during launch as it went about 20 feet and hit the high grass. It broke the seem and plywood stringer on the inside. I just never did anything with it after that. Its still in the shop split at the seam.

I would like to see one fly as I hear they are good. I might just get another as they look cool and I have the power system already.

Jeff

Here is a link to the new moulded one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2475162
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:19 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,683 Posts
The Huntersville site has tall grass on the other side of the runway for soft landings.

The speedway is cut very short and is OK...

CAM is Charlotte Area Modelers? I assume, not to be confussed with the Caldwell Area Modelers....
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:23 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,683 Posts
Anyone tried the Hoffman magnetics gear in these?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
Julian T
Fleet, UK
Joined Jun 2005
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
Evan

I have had the Super Sniper and it met a very untimley death. It lasted about 1.75 flights when the wing folded.

It was cool enough that a bought another one but this has a moulded wing. Much stronger

...Jeff

Here is a link to the new moulded one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2475162
The moulded one is stronger but it will still fold a wing at really high speeds. It is just too thin in my opinion. I am on my 3rd Sniper and the only wing that has stood the test of time has been a home built wooden one

FWIW I would try the F16. I haven't had the Het but I have had several others from an early Kyosho to a JePe and they all flew/fly superbly, fast and slow.
juliant is offline Find More Posts by juliant
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:43 AM
Julian T
Fleet, UK
Joined Jun 2005
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Anyone tried the Hoffman magnetics gear in these?
You could try that but it won't give you a light setup. Nice motors though imo.
juliant is offline Find More Posts by juliant