HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,871 Posts
Discussion
Lost, well not quite

I joined the downed AP plane club this afternoon. I was trying to get a picture of my neighbor's sister's motor home (parked out in front) when I hit a tree. It is my Food Wrap 2,000 with the Aiptek 1.3 SD camera. There is no feasible way to retrieve it.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
You can't use some sort of telescoping pole?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2008
56 Posts
I did something like that to my supercub. It was even worse because the fishing line struts wrapped around a branch which meant that it wouldn't blow out.

I got it down by using a telescoping pole with a knife attached on the top of a ladder. It was 30 ft up in a tree. Looks like you got yours up just as high or higher. The knife was used to cut it down.

Just climb the tree and get it or get someone else to climb the tree and get it. Use a pole with an attachment in combination with a ladder or tree climb. You might wreck your airframe but at least the electronics will still be intact. When mine fell the airframe was destroyed but everything else was fine.

Good luck though, and have lots of patience. They don't come down easy but it is worth it.
windywestflyer is offline Find More Posts by windywestflyer
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
Old Timer
Joined Apr 2001
3,871 Posts
Yes I would guess that is close to 40 feet up. One big problem is the owner of the property where the tree is, is VERY unfriendly.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
I don't think CC is going to climb the tree. This is when you need grandchildren around. Or a neighbor's kid. Have them climb the tree. Or, here's an image, your neighbor's sister should climb the tree! After all, it was her motor-home you were trying to get a picture of.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
It's shocking how rude homeowners can be in a case like this on there property. I knew a guy who was flying on the slope and had his plane land in a man's yard. He came out picked up the plane and took it in the house. My friend had to call the police to get it back and before he handed the plane over to the policeman he broke the wing in half. Not saying your neighbor would do something like this, just some people are born jerks.
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Aren't some neighbors fun? Our neighbor seems to have an obsession with parking in front of his house. If one of our cars is parked on the street anywhere near "his" (rental) property line he sends his mommy over to tell us to move.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:46 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
It looks like it is high enough that the limbs are smaller. You can use a pellet gun, they are powerful enough to cut the limbs with several shots. Just be very careful the direction you are shooting. Heaven forbid you hit your nice neighbor.LOL!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,634 Posts
Get the property person and tell him that you will AP his home free if you get the plane DOWN!!

Find a friend \ person that CUT DOWN trees
These people can climb ALL OVER with a pol he will get it down
Even if you need to pay money ...

Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,634 Posts
Keep updating whats going on with that
TX
Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
England
Joined Dec 2005
308 Posts
Diplomacy and apology I think then if it's still no go try the 'A team'

I have a neighbour with LMS.
Steve Mills is offline Find More Posts by Steve Mills
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:13 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
THIS has worked more that once.
http://www.amazon.com/PSE%C2%AE-King..._syf_dtl_top_3
U shoot the line up.Tie a rope to the line.Pull the rope up .And shake the branch...RTR
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:54 PM
Certified Codger
NE Texas
Joined Jan 2008
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
THIS has worked more that once.
http://www.amazon.com/PSE%C2%AE-King..._syf_dtl_top_3
U shoot the line up.Tie a rope to the line.Pull the rope up .And shake the branch...RTR
+1. I've used my bow and fishing arrow many times to retrieve planes from 60' pine trees. Usually takes me more than one shot to get over the right limb, but once there it does a good job.

Of course you may have to use it on the neighbor first...

Have you contacted the neighbor and offered to remove that unsightly orange thing from his tree?

John
wingspann is offline Find More Posts by wingspann
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:57 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Try a Flu-Flu for shorter arrow flights...RTR http://images.google.com/images?q=fl...um=1&ie=UTF-8&
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:16 PM
Old Timer
Joined Apr 2001
3,871 Posts
Today's update.
I talked with the owner of the property and it turns out he remembered my home built airplane (Tileston Drag'N'Fly) in my driveway years ago and he was a pilot also, so we had a good conversation. It seems the feud is just between the two women!
I believe I will get it one way or another.