SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
Discussion
Time to make your own parts! RepRap 3D Printer - The future of our hobby?

This might bring China to everyones home. Relatively inexpensive and capable of not only printing plastic parts, but also can replicate itself (almost).

As refinements in finish and detail improve this could be the ticket for home manufacturing of Heli parts and much more

Check it out here: http://reprap.org
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:19 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
715 Posts
Thats freakin cool. I wouldn't make blade grips with it, but i could certainly build all sorts of nifty stuff. Rapid prototyping costs a lot and thats just to make sure that before you machine metal, all the parts are gonna fit together and not interfere with each other. I would prolly only use it for building static parts for a heli, custom batt tray, elec tray, mebbee LG. I would have to see the strength of the plastic/resin under stress before I committed to building a dynamic piece.

tell you what tho. It would work great for building prototype jet ski parts for fit. If you can make it in 3d on a computer, then mostly any other computer will be able to reproduce it.

I really like the fact that it can build 60% of itself.
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf
Last edited by wetwolf; Jul 16, 2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:25 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Im gong to build one of those and then build copies of it and sell the copies.
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:52 PM
Needs more moose!
Brisbane. Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
856 Posts
Lazer,
Part of the Riprap agreement is that you must make copies for only the cost of the materials if someone else wants one. But it is still super cool.
Red_N_White is offline Find More Posts by Red_N_White
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
I know, I would only sell them for the exact cost that it costs to make one. Then everyone could build their own rc helicopter.
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
ya real brite idea just think of all the noob questions noobs could ask about this printer
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:55 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C
As refinements in finish and detail improve this could be the ticket for home manufacturing of Heli parts and much more

Check it out here: http://reprap.org
The implications of this device are beyond boggling. I have seen 3D printers before but absolutely nothing like this. There is defintely nothing anywhere near this price.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Jul 19, 2009, 03:52 AM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
I agree, as this type of technology moves forward we will see many household items no longer in the comercial market but rather simply produced in the home as needed. With the cost now being about $1000 US dollars this will be only a 10th of this cost in a few years as it further develops. Imagine, being able to print containers as needed for storage needs, or a tail fin for the heli We can only hope the quality of printed materials will some day be precise enough for our model heli's. Just a dream for now though
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Jul 19, 2009, 01:06 PM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
CHINA well be making them for $20.00 us by the end of the year wanta bet??
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude7422
CHINA well be making them for $20.00 us by the end of the year wanta bet??
In that case, they will be falling apart and killing people by Valentines Day.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
While you guys are replicating helis. I'm going to replicate myself and while my replica is at work, I'll be flying my helis.
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
I've been using one of our 3d printers at work to make landing skids for some of my helis (it prints out an ABS type of material which is pretty strong). For now that is as far as I will take it for anything heli related. I've seen some laser sintering machines that print out pretty impressive metal parts. 3D printing is an exciting technology.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion_V
I've been using one of our 3d printers at work to make landing skids for some of my helis (it prints out an ABS type of material which is pretty strong). For now that is as far as I will take it for anything heli related. I've seen some laser sintering machines that print out pretty impressive metal parts. 3D printing is an exciting technology.
Using your existing equipment, have you figured out the cost per skid to make this way?
Old Aug 04, 2009, 09:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Anyone who's interested in this should check out shapeways.com. There are a couple guys who have made heli parts already.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R