Closed Thread
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:55 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,031 Posts
Discussion
SR-71 model, Easy Tiger model with retracts

I wonder if anyone knows anything about this model. While it looks great, after watching the video, I looks like it scoots and I have a friend who has this model who wants a test pilot.

I have flown some ducted fans, I am sort of thinking this plane may be well over my head.

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...6654eb7c2b1698

Any information would be helpful.
I did a search, didn't find this model, maybe I goofed.
Thanks
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jul 16, 2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:30 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
If you think a model may be too advanced for you... you are probably right.

Its better to "fail safe" and find a more experienced pilot to help with the test flying and trimming than to try flying an untrimmed model at the limits of your skill.

Once the model has been trimmed properly and is up in the air, any RC pilot who has soloed has a reasonable chance of flying just about any model as long as they don't stall it... but might have issues when it comes time to land.

A few flights to get used to it and you might begin wondering why you were hesitant to fly the model. But thats an illusion due to being used to the model.

ANYTHING that the pilot is not used to flying can be quite a challenge...

Several years ago a local Pattern competition flyer (best pilot in the club at the time... possibly still the best if we could get him back to flying again) who tended to place well at the NATS tried a powered sailplane I had... and initially he had problems flying it because it wasn't the style aircraft he was used to. It didn't take him long to "figure it out" but it was entertaining to watch him overcontrolling the plane almost like a beginner
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,031 Posts
fhh,
I agree with you. I am the only one in our club that has flown any ducted fans, so this fellow who owns the plane, wants me to test fly it. I was hoping that people here would have some opinion as to how it flies.

I don't plan to fly it and wreck it for him. If I think it is too much, I am not going to fly it.

I was hoping that someone has this same model, has flown it and would have some hints, ideas, pointers as to how it flies and what to look for, what the drawbacks of this model may have and that would help me make a good decision.

If it is way too zippy or scoots it way too fast for me, I won't fly it nor will I try to.
It is way too expensive to have to replace on my budget.
Thanks for the advise.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jul 16, 2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling (of course)
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:12 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined May 2009
54 Posts
Theres a thread on this model in the foam edf section. Nitroplanes also distributes them as well as bananahobbies...

Zach
DEATHTRON is offline Find More Posts by DEATHTRON
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
794 Posts
Sr-71

My flying buddy has one of these from Banana Hobby. It flies great. The SR-71's retracts seem to be holding up, which was his biggest concern. He crashed however last Sunday when the impeller came off one of the motors in flight. He says it will fly again. The only thing I noticed was that it came in a little hot on landing. Not anything a good pilot couldn't handle, just keep your speed up a bit. It looks great in the air.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:25 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,287 Posts
Typically, a plane of these dimensions (long ans skinny)is quick on the aileron, but slow on the elevator.
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Bingo on the last post. Also, DO NOT empty your battery. If you cut power at normal speed its OK, glides OK. If you're flying slow on low bat and ESC's cutoff, nose goes straight up, plane comes straight down. Busted nose. One plus is its a great hand launch if your field is grass.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:54 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,031 Posts
Thanks so much everyone. Now I know what not to do. That is usually a great help.

I will let everyone know what happens.

Like I said, If I don't think I can fly it, I won't.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:23 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
SR-71 Elevon Hinge and Clevis Weak

Been following all posts on Chinese foam Blackbirds.

Some posts noted the stock plastic clevises are brittle, easy to shear the pivot pin off. I confirmed that by test to destruction, they break right off with little side force. Best to replace with nylon or metal off the bat.

Couple other reports of rolling over on take off. I got lucky on mine and found the stock point hinges break thru the foam and or pull out real easy. I replaced those with flat hinges before flying as well.

So far this one has zero tendency to roll over except in side gusts, and that is easily handled.

Its not hard to fly, and it looks and sounds pretty darn good in the air.
Last edited by dLdV; Jul 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:47 AM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
The airframe is available at BP Hobbies. It's made by Lanxiang. Full info in the foamy section.
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:10 PM
B Mac
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Aug 2009
149 Posts
I have the easytigermodels sr-71. I am trying to determine how much servo travel to maiden. Right now I have about 75% elevator and 80% aileron. Does anyone know if this is about right or does it require a change?

Brandon
mach7rc is offline Find More Posts by mach7rc
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:24 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
I have the LX-71, its basically the same model. I posted my setup with travel and DR/Expo settings at this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=983978&page=3
on page 2 and 3. Mine is easy to fly with this setup. Hope I don't steer you wrong, let me know if this doesn't work out. I'll delete all of those posts if it doesn't work out. Good luck.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
B Mac
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Aug 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV
I have the LX-71, its basically the same model. I posted my setup with travel and DR/Expo settings at this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=983978&page=3
on page 2 and 3. Mine is easy to fly with this setup. Hope I don't steer you wrong, let me know if this doesn't work out. I'll delete all of those posts if it doesn't work out. Good luck.
Thank you for the valuable input. I will give that a try and see what happens from what everyone has said it does require a bit of up elevator to level her out. I will get maiden video up as soon as I can. Thx.
mach7rc is offline Find More Posts by mach7rc
Closed Thread