HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 07, 2003, 03:11 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Announcement- new "Club Talk" forum

As I'm sure most of you have noticed, there have been several ongoing threads on Parkflyers that have focused on local R/C gatherings and activities. These threads contain discussions about local informal events such as a handful of people getting together to fly. These groups may not call themselves "clubs", but that is in essence what they are even though they may not have a formal structure or take in dues. These threads can be very useful for the people involved and have served as a conduit for organizing gatherings and sharing particular info between individuals. However, the threads have moved beyond the scope of the Parkflyers forum.

After much discussion, the E Zone management team has created a new forum for these threads. It can be reached by clicking this link:

Club Talk

E Zone has had a "Clubs" forum category for some time now, but previously only individual club listing forums were under the category. The new "Club Talk" forum is under the "Clubs" heading, but is an open discussion forum for informal gatherings, discussions and meetings. We will be moving the "club" threads already on Parkflyers over to the new forum and encourage you to continue the same type of posting in that location.

Thank you!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2003, 03:55 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,200 Posts
For easy reference:

Atlanta E-Flyers
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=102548

Orlando E Zone Squad v. 3.0
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=103163

Orlando Squadron at E-Zone:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=95450

Seminole Crash Fest:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=80753

Sunday Flying in Charlotte N.C.:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=79949

Park/Indoor Flying in Indianapolis:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=53005

**EDIT- added the Indy link--Tres W**
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Last edited by Tres Wright; Apr 13, 2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 07:16 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I think the "club" forum is a good idea if you don't want the clutter of these five threads in the parkflyers forum.

However it is also going to put a damper on one of the neatest things about E Zone, and that is meeting new people.

As a result of the Seminole Crash Fest thread we have had the honor of having E Zone visitors from other cities and states dropping by to fly with us. Without the thread in Parkflyers we probably would have never gotten the chance to meet these fine folks. I thought it was wonderful to get to meet BoomerAce, Kansas Cloud and Flycast Seven.

Will people going on vacation remember to look in the "Club" forum for any possible groups they might be able to visit?

Without E Zone the Seminole group would not even exist, so regardless we all are grateful to E zone for making it possible in the first place.

See you in "Club Talk",

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Apr 08, 2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 08:14 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,200 Posts
Hey BC,
That was our thoughts exactly in the Atlanta forum. I have had a couple of PM's back and forth with Tres and he is taking the concern back to his team. I do not entirely disagree with the intention, but I think it is too distant from the Electric side of this Message board. We have asked for a comprimise in that a "Club Talk" Forum be inititated in the Electric Forum as all of the threads moved to Club talk are electric. I agree that with these threads in the "general eye" they have gained attention and sparked quite a bit of newcomers and experienced flyers to meet up and fly. Tres is a great guy and I know he will take this serious. His response can be read at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...readid=102548.

Mike
Old Apr 08, 2003, 10:41 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! We have discussed the concerns and are going to leave the changes in place for a couple of weeks. We'll touch base then to see how things are going.

The intent isn't to shut off those discussions, but to give them a new home where the discussions can continue and flourish in their own unique setting. You are of course welcome to point people to those threads from this forum or any other forum if you think they would benefit from the discussions. For example, if you're active in the Atlanta thread and you see a new member mention he's from Atlanta, then by all means point the thread out to him! We want this change to be an improvement, not a hindrance.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 11:48 AM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
Thanks for the feedback guys! We have discussed the concerns and are going to leave the changes in place for a couple of weeks. We'll touch base then to see how things are going.

The intent isn't to shut off those discussions, but to give them a new home where the discussions can continue and flourish in their own unique setting. You are of course welcome to point people to those threads from this forum or any other forum if you think they would benefit from the discussions. For example, if you're active in the Atlanta thread and you see a new member mention he's from Atlanta, then by all means point the thread out to him! We want this change to be an improvement, not a hindrance.

Tres, first, thank you for all the services you provide for the forums. I really appreciate that.

If I may quickly add, there are many "viewers" of the discussions, utilizing the forums as a valuable resource. Those "viewers" are not necessarily joined "members" of the R/C Groups. I initially took the steps to put up my first thread when I had a problem I could not find the answers to, while just reading and researching the threads. On the same note, in our particular informal gathering, even with the nasty winds we were having, we have people just showing up and enjoy watching and flying together. Some have joined the membership because of our thread, and some have posted their "first reply" to the thread. So, I guess I'm not sure if readers will find us, even if we occasionally chime in and post up a reminder thread. Even if they did, without immediate content revelation, how else will they see the group as nothing more than a due-paying membership club. No matter how the descriptor might read about the "clubs", this issue is based on perception, not logic. And why do we have to be forced to put up "reminder" posts from time to time? As we have weekly fly-ins, results are posted in picture form and flight footage, that many other ezoners can benefit from, and also the updated posts double as weekly reminders to beacon in the other flyers in the area.

I do appreciate what you and the RC Groups team are trying to do, but I do not think this is the best way. When I started the thread for our Atlanta group, it made sense. It had visitors, it had readers, it had members posting replies... It was a perfect environment for self-sufficiency and possibilities to "flourish". This change, I see as slow, but sure end of the potential growth and reach our group.

Just one member's personal opinion... Thanks.

-James-
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Apr 08, 2003, 06:13 PM
Chesapeake Squadron
Maryland
Joined Feb 2003
97 Posts
You do know if someone does not want to read a thread they don't have to click on it. And burying here is not fair to the people that like to read what others are up to. After all isn't that what the forums are for. And the answer for the few that complained is tell not to look at it. At least name it something better and put it right up front with the rest of the forums.
rager24 is offline Find More Posts by rager24
Old Apr 08, 2003, 07:36 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I think it's a good idea. Our little informal 'club' like many others includes planes and pilots from several e-zone categories. It'll prevent the regular subject threads from becoming asynch chats for these groups (been guilty of that myself).

OK... on to create a thread.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Apr 08, 2003, 10:21 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,200 Posts
I think it would be just better suited under the Electric Catagory, since that is where most newcomers go straight to anyway. I know I did. I didn't leave the Electric forums for ages. As a matter of fact, I bet half the people on this message board, didnt even know there was a Club Talk.....at least I didnt. I say it needs to go right below training area in E-Zone Forums under the electric column. Yep, that is where I see it:

EZONE FORUMS
Open Discussion
Batteries and Chargers
Power Systems
Training Area
"Electric Club Talk"
Old Apr 08, 2003, 11:58 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==And the answer for the few that complained is tell not to look at it.==

Ah yes, the classic freedom of speech argument. Just to clarify, E Zone is not a democracy, it's a privately owned business enterprise. Any concerns voiced will be considered, but keep in mind that we're not holding a vote on this. What the owner and administrator say will go in this case. The consensus is that this change helps the organization of E Zone.

==I think it would be just better suited under the Electric Catagory==

As I mentioned before, we will let things stand as-is for a couple of weeks and then examine it. I am keeping track of legitimate comments and suggestions and we will consider them then.

This is not intended to be a debate, we made a forum change and did what we could to make everyone aware of it. This thread/sticky was merely an announcement of the change, so I'm going to lock it now. We'll open a new thread on the Club Talk forum for further discussion and suggestions.

Thanks!
Closed Thread