Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Discussion
Wally 118 Build

Hi everyone!
New to the forum. I am going to build a Wally 118 over the next few months and wanted to share my build with you guys. I know its not the typical type of boat that you guys build here. I am going to scale it down to 72" long with a beam of 18". I am still in the planning stages and can't decide if I want to use a twin jet drive setup or put twin struts on it. I was looking at the Graupner unit 5 jet drive but can't find at stats on the drive any where. I don't know but I may be able to get buy with one drive. If you pro's have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it any input offered.

Jimmy
jjac is offline Find More Posts by jjac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Hi Jjac and welcome to the forum for scale boats. I have to say that 72" is a very large model boat and I suppose you have a truck to haul it in??? I have a Dumas American Enterprise to build and I'd like to use jet drives in it too. I'll be interested in what you come up with for your build.
Now would you post a picture of a "Wally 118"? I have no idea of what one looks like.
Thanks. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,101 Posts
jjac.
Hi there & welcome to the family.
If you're going to build the Wallypower to that size you will need to put three jets in in just like the original. I've seen a video of a model with only one jet drive & it banked into the corners too much & looked all wrong.
However you do it you will love the build, & so will we watching it.
The lines on this thing are just glorious.
I scratch built one a couple of years ago at only 46" long & fitted three home made jets with speed 600 motors on them driven by 12 cells.
It gets up & planes to scale speed quite well.
Here's a couple of pics that may help you decide.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
I'm partial to 1940's and 50's power boats...

But I really fell for the wallypower the first time I saw it- really is an interesting bit of design work... Nothing at all like the boats I 'normally' gravitate to-

Reminds me of the "earthrace" boat that stopped in town a couple of years ago- got a tour of that- all carbon fiber... very cool-

you did a great job on your model, 785!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:28 PM
Jupiter Florida
Joined Feb 2009
44 Posts
Awesome!

Have you been fortunate enough to see the beast in its real form? What a craft it is.

Great idea on the build. And yes, 72" seems huge..But it makes it a bunch easier to build in all of the details.

My Miller is 72" and when it gets set in the water it seems like its only 30"!
themissinglink is offline Find More Posts by themissinglink
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:03 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,691 Posts
Interesting boat with very strange lines. Who built and designed the original and was it something for the military? Looks like a military stealth design.
Your model is great looking 785boats. Did you do a build on it? I'd like to see how you made the tunnels and gear for the thrusters. Does it have a reversing bucket?
jjak has a good ptoject ahead of him and I want to see what he does with the jet drives. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:58 AM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Hey guys,
The Wally was not designed for the military. It is a luxury yacht design for performance. From what I have read around the net was that is only 2-3 in existence. I have found prices ranging from 25 mil to 40 mil euro's.I believe the designer's name is Luca Bassani Antivari.

I have dropped the length down to 60". That will be big enough. Still researching the jet drives, I'm off today so I will call around and get some info.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,101 Posts
Hi Guys.
Here's a site for the boat. It's where I got all the info for building my model.
There's a video link on the right hand side above the small drawings which is a must see.
They've also made a 125' one now. Don't like the look of that one much.

http://www.wally.com/jumpCh.asp?idUs...l=44&idLang=IT

Pete.
I didn't do a build on it I'm afraid. Sorry. Did do a video of its maiden voyage though.

wallypower (pt. 2) (0 min 41 sec)

This is a video of a fantastic model built by someone else.

Wally Power 118 (6 min 51 sec)

Sorry jjac, I didn't mean to jack your thread. I'll be happy to help with anything I can with your build. Just ask.
All the best.
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Last edited by 785boats; Jul 17, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:18 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Nice video!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Nice video 785! I have seen the second one before. That boat is completely constructed from sheet foam. He has an mp3 player and speaker mounted in it for turbine sound. I think I will end up going with 3 of Graupner's 2340 jet drives. I think that should be plenty of power for what I want to do. This boat will end up sitting on a self here at the house when its all said and done.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:08 PM
Bavaria, about 45km from Neuschwanstein-Castle
Joined Nov 2006
220 Posts
The Wally Power 118 is a very interesting object. Some modelbuilders in Europe did build this type:
http://schiffsrumpf.de/index.php/volley-fire-108/

This one is from Germany and you can get parts over here.

The model which is shown in the second youtube-film, comes from Austria. You can have a look at the building of this model in a german forum:
http://www.rc-modellbau-schiffe.de/w...ight=Wally+118

After Roland did the youtube vid, he got a phone from Monaco, and now the model swims in the pool of Mr.Wally himself...
FatBeech is offline Find More Posts by FatBeech
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBeech
The Wally Power 118 is a very interesting object. Some modelbuilders in Europe did build this type:
http://schiffsrumpf.de/index.php/volley-fire-108/

This one is from Germany and you can get parts over here.

The model which is shown in the second youtube-film, comes from Austria. You can have a look at the building of this model in a german forum:
http://www.rc-modellbau-schiffe.de/w...ight=Wally+118

After Roland did the youtube vid, he got a phone from Monaco, and now the model swims in the pool of Mr.Wally himself...
Thanks. I signed up on the German forum the other day to check out Roland's pictures. I don't read any German so it was a challenge to even sign up!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
Lübeck, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
the modeler has sold the boat to the designer of the original. Price unknown !
Pekka is offline Find More Posts by Pekka
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'm tired.....
Conway,Myrtle Beach SC
Joined Jul 2009
519 Posts
Here's an update!

I got my hull built, still needs a little work and then some fiberglass inside and out. I got no where with finding out info on some jet drives. So I am going to do like 785boats did and build my own. I will be going with 3 40mm jets using different pvc fittings. I got everything ordered today to build all 3 jets better and more durable than the ones that I came across on the net. The best thing about it is that I can build all three for the price of one, that's a savings of $400! Here's some pics of where I am at right now.