HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
392 Posts
Question
Turnigy servo wiring?

Ust a quick question:

I just got some Turnigy TG9 servos and there is nothing on the plug to prevent the plug from going in either direction. The wires are yellow, red, brown, my assumption is that the center red wire is +, and the yellow wire is the signal wire and the brown one is -. Just thought that I would ask before I plug one in wrong and fry something.

Thanks for the help, John
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,831 Posts
Yes that is correct, the yellow is signal, the red is positive and the brown is common.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oian
Ust a quick question:

Just thought that I would ask before I plug one in wrong and fry something.

Thanks for the help, John
Hi, John. Turnigy assumes you know your receiver better than it does. Many newer receivers don't have keyed receptacles for the servo connectors, but they usually have a little diagram printed on the case to let you know which pin on the connector is for the servo's signal wire (yellow or white) and/or which pin is for the servo's ground wire (black or brown).

If there is no diagram or other indicator, you'll have to check the receiver's documentation. When you find out which pin is the ground, mark the receiver with a black permanent Sharpie for future reference.

In the past, I've plugged servos in backwards and I thought I fryed them, but nothing bad happened and they went on to work correctly when plugged in the right way. If you aren't sure which is the right way, experiment with a cheap servo. -- Joel
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:39 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,831 Posts
For the most part, plugging in a servo backwards doesn't do anything bad.
The power wire is in the middle, so it always stays in the middle. if the signal wire gets connected to common instead of signal, the servo just doesn't work.

now on the receiver, plugging in a battery backwards usually doesn't kill anything either. You are putting the signal line on common so nothing much happens there either.

Now years ago, some companies like Sanwa-Airtronics used to have the servos wired up as signal, common and positive instead of the more common signal, positive and common wiring we see. But they had the connectors keyed to prevent plugging them in backwards. So it wasn't normally a problem. But if you somehow did plug it in backwards then the signal line had 5v on it, and it could cause the receiver output IC to lose a channel then as it couldn't drive the signal line low.

On the modern IC chips the chip doesn't normally lose a channel or output pin if the channel winds up being connected to common. But it could be a problem if the pin wound up connected to positive though.
So since they made the positive pin the middle one, we should not normally have a catastrophic failure on the receiver or servos.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:47 PM
USA, CA, Selma
Joined Sep 2004
392 Posts
Thanks for the responses, John
Oian is offline Find More Posts by Oian
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,079 Posts
On pretty well all rcvrs now, the black or brown ground wire goes to the edge of the rcvr.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2