HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:41 PM
Deerton, Mi
Joined Apr 2005
112 Posts
Laine if you decide to go to Oshkosh again this year, call me and let me know I am not far away and I havent been yet. I just need to figure out some way to get around without walking..
Thumpin455 is offline Find More Posts by Thumpin455
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2007
133 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing Laine and thanks for serving your country. If anybody gets special treatment, it ought to be you guys.
timbo66 is offline Find More Posts by timbo66
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:14 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
They had P-51 rides at the Reading PA airshow the one year that I was there. I think they charged something between $300-$500 for a ride in one. They had height restrictions too, so even if I had the money I couldn't have gone up in one.

Best free ride I got was in one of the Red Baron pizza Stearmans, the pilot did loops too.

tell me about it. I go to the show every year. where are you located?
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:15 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455
Laine if you decide to go to Oshkosh again this year, call me and let me know I am not far away and I havent been yet. I just need to figure out some way to get around without walking..

Thumpin455

The EAA has motorized 3 wheel scooters you can rent
Or if you have one, you can bring it, but it has to be registered and have proof of insurance, and you will be given(have to purchase) an EAA gate pass sticker to put on it which allows you in certain areas
Golf carts can be rented also, but this year ( 2009) traffic like
Golf carts and John Deere Gators will be restricted, so the danger of foot traffic and motorized vehicles will be reduced.
There were just so many gators and golf carts being used in the areas where there were a lot of pedestrain traffic, occcasionally people would get hit,and a lot of teenagers were using them, and speeding around in them
Being on the vAA Security team, we often had to stop these folks and ask them to slow down
This year only EAA authorized vehicles , the County Sheriif deputy cars and Wisconsin State Police vehicles will operate in these areas

Also there are the trams which haul people around.
So if you've never been to Oshkosh, the place is vast!
On airport aircraft parking usually reaches close to 10 to 12,000 aircraft

If you should need a golf cart or scooter, ask the volunteers who run the main gate entrance, and they'll point you in the right direction
The Oshkosh show has about everything under the sun that pertains to aviation.
Forums where youy can learn to weld, cover airframes with fabric, wiring, etc, etc and it's all free!

Theater in the Woods will have some great entertainment this year.
All the shows are free, and the one I like the best is Jeff Dunham, the vent riloquist and his puppets!
Last year, Jeff drew the largest crowd ever for a Theater in the Woods performance.
It was estimated that over 10,000 people attended!
Jeff Dunham himself is helicopter pilot and builds his own helicopters
He is sp[onsored by Rotorway

To just give anyone an idea about Oshkosh, go the website

www.eaa.org and click on the "Oskosh" Spirit of Aviation video and watch it.

If anyone goes to see the new movie "Public Enemies" , it was partially filmed on the Oshkosh airport, and on Pioneer Fiield on the airport and some other filming was done in downtown Oshkosh.
The EAA Ford Trimotor was used in the new movie also.
Part of the movie set props we donated to the EAA and are in one of the hangars on Pioneer Field.

If you come, have fun and enjoy yourself!
It's a GREAT PLACE with the greatest people you could ever want to meet!

Maybe I'll see you guys there!
Ed VAA Security Team
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Last edited by Ercoupe Ed; Jul 14, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,279 Posts
The P-51 is some bird !
About 10 days ago while out fishing in my boat(at S.M.L. Va.) one did a low level,high speed pass over the lake.The sound it put out was unreal .Quite a plane considering its a 1/2 plus century old.I wouldnt want to be on the business end of it .I couldnt help thinking THAT was the last thing a lot of enemy troops ever saw or heard in WW2..RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thanks for the comments again guys. As for EAA, I dont know if I will make it up there again this year or not. Right now, $$ is the big issue. I have been a bit short on $$ for the past couple months. Things are starting to get back to normal now.

EAA is probably the best airplane related show I have ever been to. If I could go every year, I certainly would. We spent quite a bit of time at the sea port and my wife, kids and I got to fly a Husky and a 182, both on floats, off of the lake. We had a great time and there are soooo many great people and planes up there.

Oh, we didnt do any aerobatics this time. We stayed in the KLEX airspace. Next time (yes, I will get to go up with Joe again) it will just be me and my son so we will have time for a longer flight and have time to do some messing around.

Laine.
Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:24 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
I really wish I had a story like yours Laine. You are so gosh darn lucky.

Glad you got a chance to fly in a P-51. Are you still smilin'??
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:50 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,587 Posts
Yer gettin on my nerves...

You do know I'm developing a severe dislike for you for being able to experience all those things I'd LOVE TO DO but never will don't you? Just kidding bud... I'd swear you could fall into a bucket of manure and find a golden ring.

On the side of the 51, we had one fly into Pasco a few weeks ago that has dual controls, supposedly the only 1 in the US, and was selling rides. $2500/half hour & $4000/hr. Sniffing and looking were free! Yikes! The guys came in from a 2 hour flight to get here in full sun in all that glass and were pretty much cooked.

A B-17 got here ahead of them and the Liberator didn't show up until the next day. None-the-less, the damn things are still impressive. Avgas rocks when it's hooked up to those old timey engines. Technology is sweet but that noise from those old timers absolutely kicks butt in my ears.

Ya got the biggest flying foamy we've seen built yet?

Dan
deckert is online now Find More Posts by deckert
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
United States, OH, Englewood
Joined Sep 2004
260 Posts
I got the opportunity to sit in a UH-60 this weekend. That was a highlight, but you get to fly them AND get a ride in a P51!? You are one lucky and deserving guy.
Arznek is offline Find More Posts by Arznek
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:43 AM
Can't leave well enough alone
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
You lucky son-of-a-gun! The holy grail: a P-51! Actually I'd kill for a ride in a Blackhawk too for that matter! Either would make my many hours in Piper Cherokees and 15 minutes in a R22 seem downright lame! LOL!

-Scott
SyncroScott is offline Find More Posts by SyncroScott
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:14 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,388 Posts
congrats on that flight! Sounds very exciting

any chance you know Rizwan Shah? Hes my cousin and just got done flying BH's

matt
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
SE USA
Joined Aug 2008
191 Posts
WOW! That baby shot down FIFTEEN Nazis, and still flies today!!

I would fly one to work if I could
RTFD is offline Find More Posts by RTFD
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 08, 2009, 02:00 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
sorry Matt, dont know him.

Yups, 15 kills on that bad boy. I think we would all fly a Mustang to work if we could!
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:00 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
Awesome! I got a ride in Jumpin Jacques for my 16th birthday. best 30 minutes of my life!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72