HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:50 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,845 Posts
Cool
Flyin in a REAL P-51 Mustang!!

Some days the planets all line up, the sun shines, the birds sing and everything just works out perfectly. Well, Friday, the 10th of July was one of those days for me.

I filed an IFR flight plan to Lexington, Kentucky, jumped in a UH-60, climbed to 5000' and off we went. I did the ILS RWY 22 into LEX, taxied down C taxiway to D taxiway and into parking at, get this, "Air 51" and shutdown the Blackhawk.

Joe came walking out to the helicopter to meet us. Joe an emergency room doctor, the owner of Air 51 AND the proud owner of "Hurry Home Honey", an original WW2 P-51 Mustang credited with 15 kills!

We met Joe a few weeks ago by chance when we stopped into Lexington for fuel. We all started talking and he offered to show us his collection of airplanes. The hanger door opened and OH MY LORD! Right there in front of us, a T-6, A PT-17, a P-51D and a couple others I cant remember right now! WOW was all I could say. Joe told us, that if we were ever up there again, to call him and we could get a ride in Hurry Home Honey! Needless to say, we planned our next flight to Lexington!

Again, we went down to the hangar, he opened it up, pulled Mustang 3751D out, did a pre-flight and fired up that big 12 cyl engine! The smell of the exuast is sooooooooo good!

Adam (my buddy) went first. I watched as the Mustang taxied out, took off and flew off over the city. About 20 min. later I watched Joe and Adam slide in on a perfect landing, taxi around and come back to Air 51. Then it was my turn! I jumped in, strapped on the parachute and off we went.

Now, flying Blackhawks is a pretty darn cool job in itself, but there is just something about a warbird like that Mustang that is awesome. I heard the tower clear us for takeoff, we took the runway and as Joe pushed the throttle forward I felt that huge 4 blade prop chewing away at the air. It shoved me hard into the seat as we accelerated. The tail came up and the first thing I thought of while looking over his shoulder was what it must have been like over 60 years ago looking through that really small windshield, closing in on a FW190 and squeezing that trigger. Looking out through the windshield during takeoff like that is a memory that will stick in my mind for a loooong time.

Joe pulled the nose up and off we went. We cruised around at about 230knots at 2500' for awhile, then Joe brought it in right on the numbers and greased the landing. The only part of the flight I DIDNT like was getting out. Only because that meant it was over.

What a great day, and THANK YOU JOE for the ride of my life!

Folks, if ever find yourself in Lexington, Kentucky, stop into the airport, find Air 51 and talk to Joe, who knows, you might even get a ride in a P-51 Mustang!

CW2 Laine Stahr
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:00 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
so jealous laine, so jealous
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:52 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,566 Posts
Wow, a day to remember for ever. I've flown in an AT-6 and a Stearman down in Gallatin, but a P-51. I can't imagine.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
I Love 30mm
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2001
377 Posts
Waa Waa Wee Waa as Borat would say! Sounds like a good time! I mean even the taxi must have been a rush since that's faster than the Vne on a UH-60. I kiiid I kiiid! Sorry man I gotta give the Army helo drivers a hard time. Do you have any more pics of his collection? Maybe you can scam a few more rides from him
FlyinAg is offline Find More Posts by FlyinAg
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:55 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Drats!!!!!You got all the luck. Flying a Blackhawk and now a ride in a real P-51.

Bet you wanted to take the stick more than once.!!!!!!!

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
They had P-51 rides at the Reading PA airshow the one year that I was there. I think they charged something between $300-$500 for a ride in one. They had height restrictions too, so even if I had the money I couldn't have gone up in one.

Best free ride I got was in one of the Red Baron pizza Stearmans, the pilot did loops too.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAggie05
I mean even the taxi must have been a rush since that's faster than the Vne on a UH-60.
OUCH! That smarts! lol Yeah, you Air Force guys and your "look how fast my planes go" stuff... lets see ya HOVER! HA!

Thanks for the comments guys. It sure was fun to fly in a piece of history like that. I'll never forget it thats for sure.

Laine.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:59 PM
I Love 30mm
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2001
377 Posts
Actually I have no room to talk lol, I think the Hog will just about hover if the headwind is strong enough.
FlyinAg is offline Find More Posts by FlyinAg
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,845 Posts
LOL, yeah, I love the A-10s thats for sure. They were awesome over in Afghanistan.

Laine.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:48 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Did he give you a telephone book to sit on.. you can just about see over the open canopy
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:55 AM
Deerton, Mi
Joined Apr 2005
112 Posts
You can get people to give you stuff and they think they are getting the deal of the century, wish I would have gotten that trait. My only comfort is my car is faster and prettier than yours.

color me green, really deep metallic pearl green....
Thumpin455 is offline Find More Posts by Thumpin455
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:53 AM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,166 Posts
Didn't do any aerobatics?
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
laine if the had a middle finger smiley id eat up all the bandwidth on the server posting them,,
YOU LUCKY ARSE

ahhh RR Merlin
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:41 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Nice story!!!
A friend of mine used to fly P-51 "LOU IV" out of Ft Wayne, Indiana. Later he got this idea in his head to mix a Lear Jet model 23 with a P-51 Mustang.
The end result was an airplane called "Vendetta"
Half Mustang, half Learjet!
It did race at Reno, but had problems.
The airplane got sold off before my friend John Dilley could set the absolute world speed record for a propeller driven-internal combustion powered airplane.
John did take it to 540 mph straight and level with only 80% manifold pressure.
Everyone who knew John, had confidence he could have taken it up to 600 mph or more.
But fate stepped in the way after a forced belly landing in a bean field near Auburn Indiana. John walked away from it, but the owner decided to sell it
It was sold off to Gary Levitz and later called "Miss Ashley 2"
Unfortunately , it met its end at Reno during the National Air Races
I've got some video on VHS of
Vendetta"
Well in a couple of weeks I'll be at Oshkosh and there will be a lot of Mustangs and other airplanes there.

Any of you guys coming to Oshkosh, you might want to go check out the EAA website at www.eaa.org

The reason I say this, is the ground traffic pattern is TOTALLY DIFFERENT this year!
The "Fly Market" has been moved and is on the southwest corner of the big hangar exhibit buildings -A-B-C-D
The old control tower is gone, and a new one has been built elsewhere.

If you drive in and come in the main gate, you will immediately see the changes.
The EAA has aerial views on the website
There are new roads taking you to Warbirds, the North Forty, etc.
Also stop by the new VAA Hangar next to the VAA Red Barn.
The "Type Club" tents are gone, and the Type Clubs will be inside the new VAA hangar along with Harold Nuemanns 1941 Monocoupe( freshly restored) "Little Mulligan".
Also while on the EAA website, check out the "Oshkosh" Spirit of Aviationn video!
Download it and watch it for free!

Ed,
EAA-VAA Security Team

C yall there!
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Last edited by Ercoupe Ed; Jul 14, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:32 PM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,327 Posts
You suck. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. Cool story Laine. Thanks for sharing.
HomeDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HomeDaddy