SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2003, 12:40 AM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
What is your sub-micro servo of choice?

I now have a mixed collection of Hitec HS55s and GWS Pico+ BB servos. I need some more and was thinking about which sub-micro servo on the market is best.

Both servos mentioned are priced similarly and have their own pluses.

The Hitec servos I like because of the blue casing (call me shallow) and a perception that I have of better quality.

As with the GWS servos, I like the BBs which may use up less amps from the BEC and will likely make them last longer (?).

Both servos hum every now and then when installed. I have not been able to tell if there is any difference in centering, speed or power.

I'd appreciate to hear what you guys think. Any other sub-micro servo out there worth consideration. Digital?

I understand that your preferences would mostly be subjective but they would be much appreciated.

Rgds, JT
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2003, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2003
57 Posts
I really like Hobbico CS-5 servos. They are very similar in size and weight (and probably price) to the 55. CS-5 has about 10% more torque. I have had a lot of 55's but do not like them personally. Something about them feels REAL cheap to me. I have had more than one that has failed -- seemed like the gears stripped or something. Never looked into it, just tossed them out.

The CS-5 has more of a quality feel to it IMO. Smoother gears or something and they have never failed me. Only problem with them is the output arms are short and there are no longer ones supplied. I asked Hobbico if longer arms are available and they said no. Also, I'm not a big fan of Tower Hobbies/Great Planes/Duratrax/Hobbico as a company(s) but that's another story.

You hardly ever hear about the CS-5's in these forums so maybe I'm the only one that likes them.
R Shackleford is offline Find More Posts by R Shackleford
Old Apr 08, 2003, 01:02 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Has anyone tried the new FMA PS-20 servos?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY