Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:00 PM
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
642 Posts
Nieuport N11 "Bebe"-- a Peter Rake design

Well after a couple of years of hanging from my office ceiling, I finally pulled the N11 down and finished her properly. I added scale wheels and struts and did a little more painting.

Here are the specs and some photos in my backyard.

WS: 32.5"
Area: 270 sq in
AUW: 22.2oz
Loading: 12oz/sq ft
Motor: Multiplex 6v s400
Gear: Maxx products 2.5:1
Prop: APC 10x7 SlowFly
Battery: 8 x HECell 1100NiMH
Rx: FMA Tetra
Servos: Cirrus CS09 (1 aileron in each panel, elevator pull/pull)
Covering: Buff Litespan (BalsaLoc)
Markings: Handpainted with Acrylic

It is a rendition of this N11 on display at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Built by Gordon and Kay Bainbridge with an original 80 HP LeRhone rotary engine and instruments, this aircraft is currently finished in the colors of the aircraft flown by Victor Chapman during the First World War. Chapman was a local Hudson Valley, NY hero who flew with the Lafayette Flying Corps and was the first American pilot to lose his life in World War I:

I'll have to get around to adding the Lewis gun, exhaust stack and dummy engine...in all my spare time

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/aircraft...1.htm#Nieuport
Zhack is offline Find More Posts by Zhack
Last edited by Zhack; Apr 06, 2003 at 10:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:02 PM
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
642 Posts
More Pics

Another view:
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:05 PM
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
642 Posts
One More

Last one:

I have been asked about the wheels occasionally. They are hand built. Tires are from latex surgical tubing.

I can post close-ups of them or any other particular areas if anyone is interested for similar projects.
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:06 PM
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
642 Posts
Couldn't Resist

Okay, JUST ONE MORE
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:33 PM
Happy happy, joy joy!
Portland, Oregon, USA
Joined Jun 2001
623 Posts
Jeez!
That's your backyard? I'm envious.

Jeez^2!
That's your model? I'm envious.

Very nice, have you flown her yet?

-Todd
Goge is offline Find More Posts by Goge
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:45 PM
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
642 Posts
Wait...There's more!

Check this out if you like the back yard:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95157[/url]
Last edited by Zhack; Aug 09, 2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 03:34 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Mine's ready to fly tomorrow...
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Oct 19, 2003, 03:35 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
some of the detailing still needs to be done, but it has to show me it can fly before I take the time..
Old Oct 19, 2003, 05:16 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Zhack,
Very nice looking model, I trust your patients were suitably impressed.
I quite agree, they don't thrash around the sky with masses of power to spare, but then it wasn't supposed to. It's a case of "horses for courses" I guess. If you want a model to fly like a Nieuport, then pick a Nieuport, If you want it to fly like a sport model, don't pick a Nieuport.

Robert,
Undeniably also a nice model, but you are cheating a little. Your model is half as big again. Have you had a chance to test fly her yet?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:31 AM
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2001
421 Posts
Robert,

Very nice – what did you use for covering?

I have an un-started Peter/AerodromeRC N11 kit that I’m dying to get my teeth into -looks like that’s what you built yours from? Unfortunately, a house move, decorating and work and the summer have all got in the way. Hopefully this winter will see it done. I can’t believe I have had this kit for 10 months.

Cush
Cush is offline Find More Posts by Cush
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:32 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Cush - yes, that's the kit.

I used Solartex to cover it, in complete disregard of the instructions. I like the way it looks so much I'm willing to take the weight penalty. Also, it's wonderful to work with. It responds so well to heat, and comes out so wrinkle free, it's my favorite materal. I tried litespan once, got so frustrated with it I threw it away. I saw a plane covered with it recently. There were wrinkles everywhere.

Hobby Lobby advertises a relatively light weight fabric covering called Superfabric. It might be worth looking into.

Regarding the kit itself, the only place I departed from the instructions was with the cabane struts. I was unsuccessful in bending the rear strut - three acute angles, all having to be precision matched to achieve the right wing incidence - I couldn't do it. I bought some spruce and built my own structure. I also put in functional rigging with non-stretchable 50lb test kite string, to strengthen the structure in lieu of the aluminum struts.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:22 AM
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2001
421 Posts
Ah! Solatex – one of my favourites – very easy to use and very strong. I had been sacred that it would shrink too much for such a light structure, or just be too heavy. But you seem to have proved both worries unnecessary. I was going to use Litespan which I have had success with on smaller models. I know others, including Mr Rake himself, favour the use of film flattened with Prymol – not something that appeals to me I must say.

I would be interested to know how much more yours weighs than the target weight. I’m not too worried about a lack of power as I’m going to use a 17 turn motor and 6:1 gearbox. However, I am worried that too large an increase in wing loading would destroy the planes flying characteristics.

I’ll have to do some research on “Superfabric”

Thanks
Cush is offline Find More Posts by Cush
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:27 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
I used Solartex on my Sopwith Swallow and although it came out looking good it ended up far too heavy.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:37 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Try coverlite (litespan) guys. The stuff looks good and is light. Personally I love Solartex but its a bit heavy for most of our applications.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Oct 20, 2003, 02:11 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Re: Solartex - apparently at one time it was made lighter, I'm told. Maybe mine was the older, semi-transparent covering, or maybe it was Polytex. The reason I'm not sure is that it was in an unmarked bin at the LHS.

Superfabric is advertised as being light. Anybody who tries it, let us know.

My first flight was this morning - quite successful. I'm using an Astroflight 15 geared motor with 12 cells and a 12x8 prop. My ROG was about 40', very reasonable, perhaps could have rotated sooner. It took a bunch of trim in the sky, mostly I think because of the torque in the motor. A more efficient motor, brushless, would help.

Turns in the sky were fairly flat. I'll be adding in rudder mixing. Landing was smooth as silk.

One bad habit; it ground-loops like crazy. I had 6 aborted attempts before I could get a straight run. I imagine the small rudder and no vertical stab plays a part in this.

Now to horrify Mr Rake: Weight without batteries was exactly 3 lbs. The 1 lb, 11 oz battery pack (2600 nimh's) puts it around 5 2/3 lbs flying weight. Heavier than average? The wing area will easily support this weight, but I'll have to be careful not to apply too much g-force...
Last edited by Robert Stinson; Oct 20, 2003 at 03:49 PM.