HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2003, 09:42 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Corona Flew off on it's own yesterday, like a ghost. Help figure this out please..

I have been flying my Corona since dec and never a problem other than a bad battery pack till yesterday. What happened scared me and could have been dangerous but i got lucky, real lucky. I had flow it for a few minutes earlier in the day at a local park but moved to a larger field where some of the locals meet up on the weekends. I am the only one there at the moment and fly the corrona down the edge of the field directly away from me. I am about 100-150 feet away and give her left to get away from an upcoming telephone pole. Just then I realize I have no cyclic control , so I chop the throttle and realize it's dead too . I have no control over the helicoper at all. It's not glitching or acting erractic, just flying along pefectly smooth just I had no control over it. Luckley it drifts over to the left away from the pole then heads out staight out in the field. Its flying along about 15ft in the air , about 15 mph. Not once do I see any glitching , its like it's got a mind of it's own as it was flying so smoothly. As it continues to fly out of the field, it begins to very gradualy lose altitude. After about 150 ft or so it slides in for a landing, hits a bump in the grass and falls over. I run over and it's ok other than a tailboom strike. I changed batts and see it's flying ok like nothing ever happened. I put it up right then as I need to know what caused this before it' safe to fly again.

If this was a radio failure , like loss of signal, shouldn't the bird glitched? And shouldn't the hacker esc shut down the throttle after 2 seconds of no signal?

I looked for previous signs of problems and can think of only 2 things :

Last tuesday I flew after work before the sun went down. Bird flew fine. As battery was dieing I would rearm ESC after shutoff
to kill it more. AFter 2 times esc would not rearm. THis has never happened before. At the time I thought it was strange but thats it. A day or 2 later I noticed there was a delay in arming when I flew again and I think esc changed modes on me from normal to governeed mode. Maybe I had throttlel up and didn't not realize it but I don't think so. This could be a clue.

Once, about 2 months ago I was programming the transmitter (fut T6XAS) and it seemed to lock up me and i turned power off and back on. This is first and only time this has ever happened.

I fly 3 models on this xmitter (soon to be 4) and they have never had this problem I flew one of them after I put up the corona and had no problems with it.

Help me erraticate the Ghost in my machine

Regards,
Fletch

Any ideas?
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2003, 09:49 PM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
Just random thoughts here.

I'd start with a range check.

I'm crious if you're using PCM, and if so, how are you set up for fail safe mode.
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:03 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
I walked the aprox distance with bird on ground after crash. I still had control but I did not have rotors spun up. I started rotors, then stoped, tried tail rotor , etc and all fine.

No I do not have pcm. Xmitter can do pcm but Rx is hitech 555. I will say this is probably the furtest I have ever flown heli directly away from me . I have heard of RF nulls but bird should have recovered when it flew out in field but it didn't . The mystery to me is I had no control yet hacker esc did not shut down.

tnx, Fletch
Old Apr 06, 2003, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
It is possible someone with a radio on your frequency turned theirs on. Was anyone else with RC around?
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Apr 07, 2003, 12:44 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Fletch,

Thats a wild storey. Logicially, either the receiver locked up (the ESC couldn't do this itself), or the radio failed, locking its out-bound signal.

I really can't offer much of an explaination, except I don't remember stuff like this happening before we were using computer controlled radios. I am using a Focus 7 quite a bit, but it wouldn't surprise me to find a bug in the software that would cause a weird lock-up situation like this.

To be honest, I know it seems a waste of radios, but I still prefer my basic 6 channel analog FM radio, without the computer. (I even work in the computer industry.) I have one transmitter for each plane. (so I have 12 transmitters)

Anyway, this happens in real planes too. Remember the 767 flying into Florida from an trans-atlantic flight, all the computers failed simultaniously, along with the backup systems. The engines were running, and the hydralics were good, but their glass cockpit was DEAD. So they had to land the old fashion way, feeling the plane with their butt-in-the-seat. Then the mechanics couldn't find the problem.

Same kind of story. Defintely gives one pause.

- Rick
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Apr 07, 2003, 07:33 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xnaron
It is possible someone with a radio on your frequency turned theirs on. Was anyone else with RC around?
No one there except me. It is land owned by a farmer and it's basicaly invitation only so it's only a handful of us there on a busy day.
Also I would think if it would have been interference, heli would have glitched , jumpled around like a brushed controler will cause.
Old Apr 07, 2003, 07:46 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Carlton
Fletch,

Thats a wild storey. Logicially, either the receiver locked up (the ESC couldn't do this itself), or the radio failed, locking its out-bound signal.

Ok so the controller can't do this? ONly thing I can think of then is the radio did lock up while *programming* one time.
It must have still had a carriar and the encloder failed. If the RX had failed, would the servos'' hold their last position pefectly like that?

I really can't offer much of an explaination, except I don't remember stuff like this happening before we were using computer controlled radios. I am using a Focus 7 quite a bit, but it wouldn't surprise me to find a bug in the software that would cause a weird lock-up situation like this.

Don't tell me that as I was thinking of buying that one (or is it the eclipse) as a backup.

To be honest, I know it seems a waste of radios, but I still prefer my basic 6 channel analog FM radio, without the computer. (I even work in the computer industry.) I have one transmitter for each plane. (so I have 12 transmitters)

Well it sure is conveint to have just one or 2 xmitters. I guess I could send it in to futaba and have them check it. I really need to figure this out. If this would have happened 1 hour earlier, I would have been in a popular local park. I have ama and all but still.

Anyway, this happens in real planes too. Remember the 767 flying into Florida from an trans-atlantic flight, all the computers failed simultaniously, along with the backup systems. The engines were running, and the hydralics were good, but their glass cockpit was DEAD. So they had to land the old fashion way, feeling the plane with their butt-in-the-seat. Then the mechanics couldn't find the problem.

Same kind of story. Defintely gives one pause.

- Rick
Thanks for the info. Yea automatic is great as long as you have a manual overide. I guess I won't be flying anything but my slow stick until I know I won't be killing anyone..

regards, Fletch
Old Apr 08, 2003, 09:30 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Yeah,

Send it in, with the receiver, and tell them what happened!

This is defintely a liability issue for them. Trust me.

You'll feel bad if something happens, but they are the deep pockets that will have to go to court if this thing locks up and takes someone out.

- Rick
Old Apr 08, 2003, 09:49 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
U should probably send in the TX also. I know this hasn't happend with any other models. But it only happed one time with the heli.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Apr 08, 2003, 12:09 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
I guess the bright side is that the Corona probably won't kill anybody, but it will sure piss them off good if they get hit.

- Rick
Old Apr 08, 2003, 12:14 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
If u aim for the neck u could proabably do them in. I'm building a raptor 50 now. Comes with carbon blades. Scares the heck out of me. And I guess a little fear's a good thing in this case.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 01:01 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Carlton
Yeah,

Send it in, with the receiver, and tell them what happened!

This is defintely a liability issue for them. Trust me.

You'll feel bad if something happens, but they are the deep pockets that will have to go to court if this thing locks up and takes someone out.

- Rick
If I had to guess, I would think it's the tx since it did lock up on me once while programming, but I am going to pick me up another TX then see if they will examine all of it for me. RX is hitec and tx is futaba so I will have to deal with each separatly.

I am thinking about the Hitec Eclipse 7-Channel FM Transmitter. Any concensus if this is a decent unit? Anyone ever heard of it having the kind of problems I just experiened (which may or not be the futaba's fault).

Tnx, Fletch
Old Apr 08, 2003, 01:36 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
I'd think TX also on this. Seems more like a s/w lock up then a failure of analog equp. Seems like u had a signal. But just no way to change the signal via the tx.

I'm using a futab now. No problems of that sort. I did have a lcok up on a multiplex one time. But the batt was low.

I've used Hitec. In fact I have one on ebay now. I liked it. But I think the Futaba 9CHX is a bit more flexable. It does cost more.
Old Apr 08, 2003, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
I have the hitec eclipse 7... I am very happy with it. Get the version with the spectra module and it will work with all channels.

Brendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Apr 08, 2003, 02:02 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Sounds like software hickup in your radio?
Sometimes helps to pwer it down, remove battery, leave it for a while, then install battery , sometimes it helps to reboot from zero.
Before you do that i would recomend to write down all your settings, in case they are lost.(if it is computer radio)
Maybe its a good time to upgrade to new radio?
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime