New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by schrederman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by schrederman
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
8,063 Posts
The fleet's complete... almost...

It's Mid-July, and my throat is dry, and... no, that's not the subject of this.

I first got back into this seriously in early 2000, after piddling with it, and flying full-scale gliders for 20 years. When I first started in the early '70s, my first glider was a Windfree. So, I had decided that's where I would start again. I bought a laser-cut Windfree kit and built it. I had been thinking about this for some time and so I modified it slightly. I extended the top sheeting 1" further aft of the spar. It seemed to improve the performance somewhat.

Over the next few years, I progressed rapidly in the hobby, and I wanted to get my (now deceased) brother involved again. We had flown R/C sailplanes together some in the '70s. I was, at the time, the president of the Houston Hawks, a post he had held in the '70s. I was trying everything I could to get the membership up. I gave him the Windfree. To make a long story short, his widow gave it back to me after he passed away.

I have had it all this time and put it away, not thinking about it much. The rudder and 1 stab were slightly damaged, and the Monokote had loosened up, and it was pretty dirty. So, on a hot, windy Sunday afternoon, I was looking through some pictures, and came across a picture of my brother with this model. Just on that whim, I went and got this model down, cleaned, repaired and reshrunk it, checked the wing for warps and proper washout, and installed the radio gear. I still had the servos and receiver that were in it when it was new. I couldn't believe how good it looked.

It was about 30 minutes before sundown when I threw everything into the back of the SUV and headed out. I knew there would be no time for a high start setup, so I resigned myself to hand launch it a few times. The wind had slacked and was blowing about 8 mph when I threw it for the first time. Unlike my Bantam, the WIndfree wanted to climb almost vertically when I threw it hard. At 26oz, this one's pretty much a feather. It still flys great!

Sounds pretty mundane to most of you, I guess. What struck me about the whole thing is how truly pleasing the whole thing was. All the memories of my first R/C experiences, and times with my brother, and the excitement of that first controlled hand toss, so long ago, came flooding back.

So, now the fleet consists of my Xplorer, a new Houston Hawk, a good Yardbird, a Bantam, and the Windfree. What's missing? Just a good Legionair... and I have the stuff to produce one...

PS: The Journey prototype has been started. I'm still drawing and redrawing El Jefe...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Aug 16, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by affair
Rotorua, NZ
Joined Aug 2007
48 Posts
CAD plans

affair is offline Find More Posts by affair
Last edited by affair; Nov 12, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: should have been a PM