SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:14 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Discussion
A 2m Electric RES collabrative design

Hi,

I'm keen on a collaborative design of a 2m (78") Rudder, Elevator and Spoiler Glider, with an elec motor on front. The goal is to have a new plan made available to all, free of charge, as a pdf doccument, in both letter and A4 sizes. I can get the plan drawn up professionally.

I know there are suitable kits and ARF models out there, but I can't find an easily printed suitable plan.

My suggested glider criteria.

2m wingspan
4 Channel control, as above.( RES plus throttle)
Traditional 2 piece/ or 3 piece wing for easy transportation
Pushrod elevator control, (possibly down midddle of boom)
Push / Pull rudder?
Std tailplane, not v-tail or t-tail (easier to build) with possibly removable stabilizer
Bolt on wing option

The Wings: Built up balsa and spruce, sheeted on front top and bottom (light balsa) with rib caps and sheeted trailing edge.
I don't know much about aerofoils, so can someone suggest a suitable wing chord, and aerofoil shape?

I hope someone else out there shares my enthusiasm for a readily available glider that meets these criteria. 2m RES flying is a lot of low cost fun, i'm keen on introducing a sunday morning friendly comp to my local club.
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
Unshaven yokel
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
1,483 Posts
I'd suggest AG36

Have you seen the allegro?
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl..._allegro2m.htm

There's also the Allegro e-lite.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...egrolite2m.htm

All the ribs/wing stuff are already available in laser cut form for cheap:

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=188

Just need to make a woody fuse.
sparkysko is online now Find More Posts by sparkysko
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:38 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
The Allegro E-lite is very similar to what i'd like to achieve. My only change would be changing the wing construction to straight balsa and spruce, using shear webs. I'm scared of the fancy spar of the allegro / bubble dancer, and believe a traditional design, while weighing a bit more, is more reachable to the gereral modeler, and would still fly well enough for in club competitions. I'm a fan of Dr Mark Drela, and his incredible glider designs and aerofoils, I just prefer the ease of traditional balsa bashing construction.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:59 AM
Unshaven yokel
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
1,483 Posts
Woops, didn't realize it wasn't a simple spar.

Drela foils are a pain in the butt to cut out by hand tho.
sparkysko is online now Find More Posts by sparkysko
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:31 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Bump, Anyone else interested in a simple, 2 meter wingspan elec glider, of a pod and boom design?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:58 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Take a look at the Playboy, an old-timer design that has an RES wing quite suitable for this kind of model..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
Rotorua, NZ
Joined Aug 2007
48 Posts
I would be very interested in this. Apart from the Drela plans I don't know of any plan only designs that are 2m wingspan and use relatively simple spar construction. How would you go about laying out the wing planform? I guess we emulate existing proven designs (notice I didn't use the word copy)
affair is offline Find More Posts by affair
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:55 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Planform. Do you mean polyhederal etc? I'm in two minds, Drela's sucessful Bubble dancer and allegro use a three piece wing, a r centre section with the spoilers running full width, with tips set at an angle.

The other option is the traditional polyhederal ie Spirit, Riser etc.

personally I like the idea of a three piece wing, with a single servo in the centre section, as apposed to a servo in each side or a polyhederal 2 piece wing.

Fuselage pod.

I'd love to do a nice, rounded pod out of balsa, but don't know of a simple method that would still have strength, Light weight, and not too many formers. Lots of formers make it very hard to fit Servos, Battery, speed control and reciever around.

A square sided option,
My first suggestion is to go for 3/32 balsa sides, with 1/2 or 3/8 inch triangle stock for joinging the sides to the bottom and top. The triangle stock gives a large glue area, while still being light in weight. It also allows you to round the corners off a lot more than square stock

For the fuselage botton, I'm leaning to 1/16 balsa skinned with 1/32 ply to hopefully withstand a hardish landing.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:13 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
The flat center section with raised tips makes for an easy build.The airfoil and wing chord from the riser 2 meter would make a good sport flying set up.Pod wise when I get some time on Saturday I could draft something up and post it here.1/16" ply would work for the fuse bottom and be plenty tough enough.How large of a battery are we looking to get in this thing?A 2100ma thunder power 3 cell perhaps?scottie
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
I'm hoping for more good gliding performance, so was thinking of a smaller 1500-1800 mah 25C Hyperion battery myself, but as the 2100 3c is a common battery it is probably best designed to accept one of these.

Motor wise, my first thought is a KDA 22-15. Cheap as chips, and about 200w with a 9x6. That's my first thoughts anyway, i've used this combo in the past.

Servos, Would 9g HXT900 be powerful enough? I think so, but aren't sure
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:10 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
You have caught my interest and just to throw a thought out to consider

I have a Bot with spoilers that attach to the one servo in the fuse so a two piece wing can still work in your design with poly or single 12 degree dihedral
Terror Dactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terror Dactyl
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:40 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I figure draw room for the 3 cell and keep it near the c/g,that way if the breeze is up you could put the 3 cell in and get 1.5oz of ballast that can be used better than adding lead.Terror good thought and it will work fine but it may be a bit more simple over all to go with the flat center section and a one wire hook up.dwalk are you fixed on the pod and boom to save weight or drag or both or because they look cool?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
If you want simpler construction how about inspiration from the Miles 2M or Chrysalis 2M. Both are balsa RES.
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
With the chrysalis Don had drawn a fine wing and a fine sail plane for E power or thermal,and it builds well and if its possible the chrysalis flies better than it looks,and I have to say that the chrysalis has real good eye appeal.That being said why don't we just work a nice easy to fly ship that builds well from sheets of balsa and spruce spars and have fun with it?Why not take some elements from things that fly well and try to put them together into a eye pleasing form that works well?scottie
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:51 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
728 Posts
Also take a look a the plans for the AX, in the June 2009 issue of Radio Control Soaring Digest. 90% of what's being talked about, just needs spoilers designed into it.

John
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein