Old Jul 11, 2009, 02:14 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Discussion
Richmodel 55" EP/GP SE5a--**VIDEO**

EDIT 8/24: All finished and flying. Link to video is in post #51

Just ordered one of these off Ebay. Did a search but didn't see where anyone else had posted/reviewed it anywhere on RCG.

Richmodel 55" SE5a

Richmodel's site says it's new and the pics looks really nice, but you never know with some of these Chinese ARF's. Nice looking wing rigging and it looks like it comes setup for either glow or electric. Judging by the rest of Richmodel's offerings it's probably a $109 plane with $39 shipping added in. I figured I'd take the plunge and get some more info in case anyone else is interested.

For power, I was thinking of a Scorpion 3032-12 on 4s. I already have a Scorpion 4020-12 that I could use if it's not too much.

Anyone have any experience with this model yet? Did I just waste $150?

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Aug 24, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,328 Posts
I hope this is a nice plane, I have the spitfire from them and love it.
Thrawn150 is online now Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47 30CC EP build
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:27 PM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,328 Posts
When you get this let me know how the battery hatch works.
Thrawn150 is online now Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47 30CC EP build
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn150
When you get this let me know how the battery hatch works.
That would be my question too.How do you access the battery?I have the G.P. Electrifly SE5A and really like it,but I always wished it was a bit bigger.This one might just be a good replacement.Let us know how it stacks up once you have it in hand.
bouncebk2003 is online now Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003
I have the G.P. Electrifly SE5A and really like it,but I always wished it was a bit bigger.This one might just be a good replacement.Let us know how it stacks up once you have it in hand.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. I was really hoping it would come today, but no such luck.

I'll keep ya posted.

kendall
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
I posted on another site RE this model. Not a soul owned it!

Looking forward to your opinion of it. Looks good in a few pictures, and looks like a "cartoon" in another.

Keep us updated!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Kit Has Arrived!!

The box was on the front porch when I got back from watching Harry Potter 6 with my son. I'll be taking pics and posting as I go over the next few weeks. I say "few weeks" because this Sunday we're off on our semi-annual pilgimage to pay hommage to the giant Mouse in Orlando (emphasis on pay--pay,pay,pay. Mickey is quite the accomplished pickpocket. And this will be trip number 20-something in the past 14 years. )

Anyway, I opened the box tonight and got everything laid out, inspected and weighed.

kendall
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Box Contents & Inspection

Overall

The plane arrived via USPS, double boxed with no external damage. Inside the parts were all individually wrapped and seemingly well protected though there was no packing foam or spacers--just the parts inside the second box. There was one damaged piece. The forward strut attachment hardpoint on the lower port wing was broken. These pieces were covered with XPS blocks to prevent them gouging other pieces, but this one must have taken a thump at the factory. Should be an easy fix.

Initial Inspection

The major assembly pieces have a low parts count: two 3-piece wings, h-stab, v-stab and fuse. The covering is lightweight and had 7 or 8 spots that will get some tightening with a low temp iron. Nothing unusual there. The green is a reasonable OD facsimile albeit a shiny one. The undersurfaces are a light yellow approximation of doped fabric. The nose and v-stab have their trim already applied. The rest of the trim bits are on a decal sheet. The cowl is very nicely done in painted fiberglass with what to my eye is a perfect color match. CA hinges are installed in the flying surfaces awaiting final gluing. There is no attempt at anything whatsoever scale in the cockpit.

The assemblies are all laser cut balsa and ply. The wing center panels and forward turtledeck are fully sheeted. The outer wing panels and rear half of the fuse are a typical covering-over-ribs which actually looks quite appropriate.

The battery hatch is located on the underside forward of the LG. The hatch opening measures 92mm x 80mm x 37mm deep. From the back wall of the bay to the front edge of the opening (ie-maximum battery length) is 125mm. Two 4s/2250mAh or smaller lipos in parallel look to be about right. A single 4s/3200mAh bat would probably fit, but my PQ 4500's mostly certainly do not. It looks for all the world that the hatch was intended to be secured with 4 screws. That's just no going to happen. Shouldn't be hard to mount some rare earth buttons in there somewhere and cut a fingerhole in the hatch cover.

There is a large 57mm x 24mm cooling hole on the lower portion of the firewall directly into the battery bay. Another could easily be cut above the motor mount to accomodate the ESC. The firewall is constructed with 3 degrees right and 5 degrees down thrust.

Servo mounts are standard sized. The wing servos are mounted on their side with the aid of some balsa blocks and are concealed under hatches with just the servo arm protruding. There are strings in place inside the wing to assist with routing the extensions.

The construction manual is mostly sequential pictures with very few words. However, the words that are there do seem to follow conventional English syntax .

kendall
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Hardware

Also included is an apparently very complete hardware package for both electric and glow (if you're into that sort of thing ) setups. Looks like I got duplicates of the headrest and tailskid, but nothing was missing. The glow parts include an engine mount, fuel tubing and cap, 8oz tank and throttle servo mounting bracket. For the electric option it includes a ply box motor mount with a pretty standard looking 19mm x 25mm hole arrangement and also a set of 48mm x 48mm lugs on the outside. I'll be going with an adjustable aluminum mount for my 40mm motor.

The included control rods are 1.5mm music wire. Some are pre-bent with z-bends, some are threaded with metal clevises. The hardware package also includes all control horns, EZ connectors, wire guides, wing rigging, LG (aluminum with 113mm wheels), struts, cabanes, and plastic dummy cylinder head/exhaust stacks.

kendall
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Weights

The weights for the box contents are as follows:

Fuse: 9.7oz (275g)
Wing center panels (x2): 7.7oz (218g)
Wing outer panels (x4): 12.2oz (346g)
Tailfeathers: 2.2oz (62g)
Cowl: 2.3oz (65g)
Hardware: 17.5oz (496g); LG accounts for 8.1oz (230g)

Total Kit Weight: 51.6oz (1463g)

I'm looking at adding:
  • Scorpion 4020-10 (10.7oz/304g)
  • Scorpion Commander 70A ESC (1.7oz/47g)
  • CastleCreations 10A CCBEC (0.3oz/10g)
  • 4 JR DS821 Servos (6oz/170g)
  • 2x (parallel) 4s/2150mAh 30C Rhino lipos (17oz/480g)
  • Spektrum AR7000 rx (0.5oz/14g)
  • Misc wiring/balancing weight fudge factor (4oz/113g)

So I'm estimating an AUW around 5lbs 11.8oz (2604g). The manual specifies a flying wieght of 5.1lbs (2300g). Doesn't say with glow or electric. I could pretty easily lose 10oz if I go with a Scorpion 3032-10, smaller battery and no fudge factor, so their estimate doesn't sound unreasonable.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Jul 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:22 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and document the model. I know Ill be watching for sure.

I finally got a PM from a fellow who has a clubmate flying one of these <electric>. He was not very specific but said it was a sweet flying model.

Can't wait to read about the assembly!

Tommy D
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:53 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
I just got this kit . looks as good as any of the pictures. I got mine two days after I ordered it usps, no dings, missing decal sheet. I called,hope to hear back today about that. Paid $ 149.00 shipped from hobbies for less on Ebay.
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Glad some people are picking these models up.

Good luck getting your missing parts, if it's only decals it's no big loss.

Looking forward to seeing your builds.

Tommy D
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:04 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THREEWING
I just got this kit . looks as good as any of the pictures. I got mine two days after I ordered it usps, no dings, missing decal sheet. I called,hope to hear back today about that. Paid $ 149.00 shipped from hobbies for less on Ebay.
You may finish yours before me then since I'll be out of town all of next week. If you don't mind, keep posting here. I'd like to hear if you come up with any tips or build issues.

What are you planning for a power system?

kendall
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:35 PM
Dam Dutch Fokker.
USA, UT, Farmington
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
I am planning on useing a TR42-40B 900kv $24.70 GWS park HPX servos $ 12.23 Turnigy sentry 40 esc $33.95. About $50.00 less than the Powerline Albatross DIII ,will see witch I like best.
THREEWING is offline Find More Posts by THREEWING