SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:05 AM
Germany, BW, Sankt Leon-Rot
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake's Udet Flamingo Prototype Build

Having been a long time reader of FSM and the Scale Electric area here, I thought I take the chance to build Peter's Udet Flamingo Prototype.
While the bootiful laser cut parts arrived 2 weeks ago, I was challenged to print the plan. Luckily, we have a printing department within the company, and the guys helped me to finally print the plan. As they normally print shiny posters for all sorts of events, I was laughing when I received my first model plan on poster paper - something to remember mefinks.

I think I start to post a few pics from the yesterday night, and also some inspirations I collected recently...
uranus456 is offline Find More Posts by uranus456
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:21 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Udet`s planes have always been of interest to me, so I`ll be following this one closely.

What size is this one gonna be?
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jul 11, 2009, 02:41 AM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
380 Posts
Not sure that this is the correct machine as the tail looks a little different but the man, as an accomplished flyer certainly is impressive. This deadstick crosswind landing defies belief. There is also one where he comes out of a loop and lands. Magic stuff.

There are a number of other clips on youtube if any one is interested.

1930's Ernst Udet (1 min 38 sec)

John
brennanj2 is offline Find More Posts by brennanj2
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:29 AM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
Udets Flamingo Had several changes, such as an enlarged tail, another engine and one Cockpit only.
The colour was Red.
More pics to come
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:54 AM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
I just realized that the pictures I wanted to show did not make it.
OK try again.
There is a lot of history on this particular aircraft, especially when you search for the tail D 822.
The more I read about it, the more interesting it gets.
I welcome all feedback and thoughts !
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
It took me a few days to come back to built.
While I finished the square piece of the fuselage box, and the rear part, I cut and bent the wires for the udnercarriage as well as the struts.
Hoping to get the top wing nicely alligned with the fuselage, I realized I should finish the wings first. The 2 main 16 SWG (or 1,5 mm as we would say) struts will be bent and glued to the fuselage box - So I think I finish the wings, get the saddle clamps cut and position the wing over the fuselage to that I can get things in the right position to bend and glue the struts.
I was wondering for a while whether I should build ailerons, but as I do not want to disappoint Peter and also it saves me 2 servos and I can use a tiny 4 channel receiver - so a lot of convinving arguments to go without.

The wings are very quickly built, even if I used PVA as I ran out of medium cyano. Just be careful as some ribs (around the dihedral brace) are of slight different shape around the spare (you see : good to use PVA as it gives you a few more minutes to realize the mistakes)

I sanded 4 out of the 5 wing elements, and I should be back at late hours somewhere during next week.

Btw: as it is only 2 servos, I thought I treat myself with HS55 servos - the ones I normally use are about 2/3 of the price. The local dealer is 1 EUR more expensive then the large stores on the web - but apparently you save 6 EUR for postage and packing.... O.K. - to be continued
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:04 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,655 Posts
Andreas,
Don't forget the scrap balsa around the strut sockets in the wings. Might as well do it before you finish the sanding.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 19, 2009, 06:45 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Looking very nice, Andreas. PVA is great for giving a little flexibility to joins, I use it almost totally. Those videos of Udet are amazing in their technical skill - definitely not someone you'd want to meet in the air with twin spandaus pointing at you.

By all accounts he was a pleasant and modest man, though he enjoyed a party and the company of ladies - many of them Sad that he eventually became so disillusioned due to politics and conflict with Goering and ended his own life.

Look forward to seeing more of your build.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:05 AM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
Thanks.
I just come from a show nearby where the large Udet ( above 5 m wing span) was performing wildly as well -
Being german I want to be careful about history and people, obviously Udet also played some part in the later Luftwaffe - but in the 20ies he was a real 'flying hero' - so as I already made up my mind on the colour scheme, it will be Udet's private Udet : silver and red -

Pete : Thanks for the remark - will do this right now
Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
found some time to continue....
Took Pete's advice and added some balsa to the ribs where the wooden struts fit in. Sanded the nicely shaped wodden struts. Glued the 3 wing halfs together.
I connected the fuselage box with the rear part, and connected the struts to the fuselage with a 0,5 mm Nylon string - no glue yet.
It starts to look like a little flamingo now...
Next will be to glue the metal struts carrying the upper wing, followed by planking the upper side of the fuselage. This step I really look forward to
Last edited by uranus456; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
I somehow have challenges uploading pictures - after 1 hour and switching from Firefox to IE I am finished for today
Last edited by uranus456; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:01 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,655 Posts
Looking very good. I feel this will be a very pretty little model.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Looks like a nice sturdy bird, I like them wide wing struts.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,013 Posts
Sehr schön! Kraft mit Anmut, ja?

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
HI James,
Kraft mit Anmut? I assume the little flamingo was relatively powerless (kraft-los), Anmut? Obviously you like old german words - but I agree, Flamingos are 'anmutig',
Gruß Andreas