SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2009, 02:10 AM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Build Log
"Simplicious" build log

Well I finally got the plans to come out right, so I'll try my best to show how I make this plane here in these videos. If your building one, you might want to watch all three before you start, as my first time video editing s ks. Well there's just one thing outa place.(cutting the elevon hatches in the top skins before you put them on is easier) Also The bulkheads are'nt on the plan, they are 28mm wide and 41 and 43 mm high for the 22", or at whatever size you choose to make one, the width of the front of the fuse taper former and the hight of the fuse at those positions.
Simplicious assembly instructions part 1 (7 min 43 sec)

Simplicious instructions part 2 (9 min 48 sec)

part 3 (5 min 50 sec)

So that gets us up to the point of mounting the gear, and finishing with the top fuse sheeting and batt. and canopy hatches.

We just got the final adjustments made yesterday and i used the first perfect laser cut kit to make these vids. So The final file(..you know, the one that all the parts actually match up on ) Is on its way, I'll make sure he sends it to me tomorow when i pick up the kits, and I'll get it up here then.
Well I hope this helps answer questions thus far, and I want to thank again EVERYONE for helping me get to this point, with your possitive input and advice!!!!!
Ran outta time today, I'll get the rest of it done soon.
gtrScotty is offline Find More Posts by gtrScotty
Last edited by gtrScotty; Oct 04, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2009, 03:53 AM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Simplicious throws, CG, and reflex. (0 min 41 sec)

GtrScotty's Simplicious RC Airplane (1 min 42 sec)
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:41 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
Cool Plane Scotty !!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
Great plane and great build videos ! I found specs here..

Simplicious is ;
span 22"
4.6 oz
motor; Suppo A1510 2150 kv outrunner-14g.
ESC; suppo 10A 5x3 APC
batt.; ThunderPower ProLite V2 250 3cell, -27g.
servos; JR S185's 6g. x3, rudd. elevons. (.08 transit speed I think REALLY helps get the precision and quickness that a plane this size and weight demands. Squirltime for sure, but SOLID!)

I will be looking forward to the .pdf, more videos, on the power system installation.
Awesome Scotty!
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Last edited by bsfixit; Jul 10, 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Adding plane PS specs
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Ok this is the one!!

Here is the final tiled PDF to build "Simplicious" , by Scott Bouck 2009.
Have fun everyone!
Last edited by gtrScotty; Mar 07, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:03 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Thanks gpw and bsfixit! This one works out right. The only things to note are that I've made the whole plane with 2mm, it works ot fine, and you 'll have to trim 1-2mm off the bottom sheet after the top skins are on. no biggy.
Thanks bsfixit for slippin those speks over from the other thread! I suppose you just copy and paste them? Iknow I need to figure out how to use the thread tools at some point.
Well enjoy all!! Ill get the rest up asap, but it's pretty straight forward once you get this far.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,448 Posts
wow scotty you made that look so easy but i am sure its not as easy as you made it, and cant wait for your package to arrive and i can lay all the pieces out and get cracking on the build, and whats the name of that glue your using, it looks really strong, is it similar to super glue ?
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:59 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Howdy carl! Yes the glue is superglue, the foam friendly type. I strongly recomend "Bob Smith" Gold. It's oderless foam friendly CA. It's good to have gap filling(medium) and fast(thin). I think this brand is the best.
Hmmmmm.. I would have thought your kit would be there by now!?! Should be any day now. They said 6-10 buiz days, but we did have a quite substantial national holiday last weekend. ;^)
Old Jul 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2009
1,448 Posts
hey scotty, i am hoping to get the simlicious package next couple of days, and yeah 4/7/09 is an important date for the USA so maybe thats what is delaying it, but it will give me time to get that glue you use, and i am not going to rush the build, and i have watched your vids a couple of times, and will do a few more times, looking forward to seeing how you fit the electronics
carl
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:02 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Ready for top sheet. After sheeting, cut out your REC/rudd. servo / canopy hatch. You can make it any shape you want, Just make sure to leave enough foam up front of the canopy for the front tab to slip under. 1/2" is fine.
Glue a piece of dep inside the front of the canopy that fits snugly between the fuse sides. then I use 1/2A fuel tubing and round toothpicks for the rear retaining latch.I'll detail that with a vid when I get back to my shop.
Last edited by gtrScotty; Jul 11, 2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Add content
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:42 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
I do the batt hatch the same way exept using a toothpick for the front pin also. I attatch the elevon servos to the covers with double stick tape and then block alittle scrap foam around the edges of it to brace against twisting. I put 2 pieces of scrap depron on The inside edges of the openings as a ledge for the covers to set on. Then just scotch tape in place. I'll make a vid of it soon.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:42 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Part 4-7

build log 4 (9 min 54 sec)

build log 5 (9 min 9 sec)

bl 6 (9 min 31 sec)

BL 7 (3 min 41 sec)

Ok I'm gittn this done as quick as poss.,almost done. I gotta go make a buck now but all there is left is control horns (I use 1/32 ply in the slots, going all the way through the surfaces), and pushrods,.. oh and mounting the rudder servo. Well and final settup and flying, I'll video those all here ASAP and get them up for you. I hope this log is helpfull and sufficient so far!! Thanks all!, and any coments or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
Joined May 2009
1,448 Posts
hey scotty, nice vid's, and only got to get my glue and spare sheets of depron and i will start my build, then cannot wait to get this baby flying, and plan to take it to work for some dinner time fun also nice bit of string pluckin
carl
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:42 AM
ApachePilot
United States, MI, De Tour Village
Joined Oct 2006
1,940 Posts
Wonderful job!!

I just downloaded the pdf file and have all the materials and electronics. I have a question though, when I try to print is just gives me 3 pages with plans measuring 3"x5". Is there any way to print it out at 100% tiled?
The weekend is nearing and I would like to get started....

Again, thankyou...

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
Outside the box!
Joined May 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApachePilot
Wonderful job!!

I just downloaded the pdf file and have all the materials and electronics. I have a question though, when I try to print is just gives me 3 pages with plans measuring 3"x5". Is there any way to print it out at 100% tiled?
The weekend is nearing and I would like to get started....

Again, thankyou...

ApachePilot
Thankyou! Well I'm better with airplanes than I am with computers. There's a free program called "Cute PDF writer" that may help, and the original file is a corellx4 if that helps. Also try a search here at rcgroups for scaling PDFs, I'm sure someone has the Info you need. I'm a scratchbuilder but I only build my own designs so I have no experience manipulating files. I haven't had a pc for about 5 years until last week, but I don't have a printer yet. If I did I'd get right on that and figure it out for you. I hope you are sucessful, it's really a fun airplane. There is a thread in the indoor and micro forum titeld "Microlicious" by MUTTCAKE, and they seem to know how to get it to print out right. I hope that helps.
Scotty