HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:09 PM
Jacksonville, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
22 Posts
Discussion
First plane, T-28 or Apprentice

Which plane is better?

I have an instuctor to help me and a lot of sim time.

I also have a Club field neaby, but parks are closer to where I live.

Thanks
wahodges is offline Find More Posts by wahodges
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:53 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,019 Posts
I've never flown the Apprentice, but if you have help and some sim time I think you'll get more enjoyment from the T-28. I helped someone learn on a SuperCub (great trainer, but quickly became boring for them) and then onto the T-28. They are doing great on the T-28 and really like the scale looks, etc.

My 2.5 cents....
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:57 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,241 Posts
Hello fellow Jacksonvillian. The Apprentice would be a much better first plane. It has a lighter wing loading and more powerful motor. The T-28 is a great 2nd plane once you have mastered the Apprentice.
Come fly with the Dawn Patrol at Ed Austin park (formerly the Dunes golf course, off Monument road near McCormick.) A bunch of us fly every Sunday morning at dawn by the large soccer field. http://www.dawnpatrol.iwarp.com/

No club dues or meetings, just come out and have fun.

Video channel on youtube>> http://www.youtube.com/user/nfdawnpatrol
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Last edited by wmcneal; Jul 09, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:40 PM
Jacksonville, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
22 Posts
Hello WMCNEAL

I live near the Ed Austin Park and have watched the Dawn Patrol in action.

I always show up on my bicycle.

I'm sure you know who I am.

My intent is to fly at the park. However, was not sure if the Apprentice maybe is too big for that area.

Currently, I am out of town and have been flying the T-28 at the LHS on thier sim and was thinking it may make a better park flyer. I was looking to buy the new Air Force BNF version coming out later this month. http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5080

I do have a little air time - Bill has given me a few lesson on a Electirc Star at Jax RC and I also have flown someone else's Apprentice at Jax RC.

I guess my main question is -will the Apprectic fit my needs better as a starter plane and will I be able to fly it at the park?

Thanks
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:55 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Horizon says Apprentice isn't a Park Flyer. Well, a REALLY BIG park maybe. Your park there might be big enough.

The Apprentice was designed to be a trainer with an instructor, with a buddy box.

I'm a newbie, with about 20 flights on my Apprentice. I fly in an empty (until August) park of about six to eight soccer fields, and I use it all.

I don't know how the T-28 flies, but the Apprentice covers a lot of ground quickly. I don't think it's the size as much as it's the speed of the thing that would determine whether a plane would be a good park flyer. Apprentice weighs 2.8 lbs with a flexible prop, so it would be pretty safe, but it moves.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:06 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,241 Posts
wahodges,

ok, yes I remember you. Yes you can fly an Apprentice at the park. Dave Dodd has one and flies it regularly there.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Jul 09, 2009, 09:25 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Feb 2009
49 Posts
I also started by spending a lot of time on the flight simulator with wind and crosswind turned on (only found out about turbulence settings later). It helped, it helped a lot. But it really is different when you don't have a reset button. I am glad I had the buddy box.

I am glad I started with the Apprentice on a buddy box. The Apprentice easily gets 15 minutes flight time on the 3200 mAh pack, even on days I have gone high throttle due to the wind. It is possible to slow the Apprentice down to a crawl when landing. It is large enough that it is pretty easy to see (although I did lose orientation a few times at first and needed an instructor to recover).

When I first started with the Apprentice I needed a lot more room for landing than I do now. But windless days still take up a bit of space.

I have finally been cleared and I still have anl uncrashed plane. So that approach definitely worked out well for me.

Now I am considering something like the T28 as a second plane.

Then there are those people who managed to take a T28 up on their first flight. But I think those people are few and far between. But there is the occasional person who manages.

And there are those who crash, repair and are up again. Which is great if you are good at repairs and/or if you can afford replacement planes and parts.

I think the old timers did not have as much choice about how they learned year ago. I preferred the lowest risk approach myself.
kirch is offline Find More Posts by kirch
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:40 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,229 Posts
I think if you have plenty of time on a good sim and an instructor, you'll be fine with the T-28. I've been flying helis for over 2 1/2 years and began flying airplanes five months ago. During the 2 years of flying helis, I also spent countless hours on the sim flying airplanes. I started with the Grayson Hobby 3D EPP Sukhoi, which is a 32 in. flat foamie, not the perfect airplane for a beginner. However, I was able to learn the basics of airplane flight on the Sukhoi and now I'm learning 3D maneuvers. About a month ago, I purchased the PNP version of the T-28. I absolutely love the T-28! See the video below of my 17th flight on the T-28 from a couple days ago, including my first inverted flying with the T-28.

Parkzone T-28 Trojan with Inverted Flight - July 7, 2009 (6 min 25 sec)
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:04 PM
Jacksonville, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
22 Posts
Sounds like the Apprectice maybe is a better first plane for me.

JAX RC is close by for my begining training lessons in a larger area and the park is just down the road.

I know between the park and Jax RC there is a good support system FOR NEW FLYERS.

Thanks to all for your comments.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:49 AM
hillsboro Oregon
Joined Jul 2009
255 Posts
I would get the 28, it is really stable for a under wing and has incredible slow flying ability and has the ability to go vertical and do most aerobatics with the right mods. I had not flown in 15 years and recently bought this plane. I think i flew about 10 times with one rough landing and was ready for more power! So i did a motor mod adding a eflite power 15 , Hacker x-40 esc. Real easy conversion. This thing will fly right out of my hand!!
mikeochs is offline Find More Posts by mikeochs