There are already accepted substitutes 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:36 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
Poll
Should we have an emoticon for "Newbie"?

There are two reasons that RCG is so great: (1) it allows us to share our knowledge and (2) it allows us to request knowledge.

I must admit that I often find myself occupying the later portion of why RCG is great. I often find myself visiting threads in which I have no knowledge about the topic and need some fundamental information. Most often, the topic has progressed beyond my comprehension level. My posts are often started something like, "Newbie question here..."

I know that I am not alone here; there are many people here that are just beginning to amass their knowledge of the RC world and need some simple fundamental information.

Would it be worthwhile to simply have an emoticon that you could use to preface your question? Instead of saying, "Newbie here, so what is blah, blah, blah?" you could simple insert the "Newbie" emoticon and precced. I guess this could also double as an emoticon for humbly asking a dumb question or it could accompany a statement in which you may not be too sure about the answer you just gave.

I know there is the "embarrassed" emoticon and the "confused" emoticon, but those dont seem to capture the emotion being expressed when asking a simple, newbie question or proffering information in which you may not be 100% confident.

So what do you guys think? My vote is "yes" but you can tell this by my initial effort to create this poll. Go ahead, say what you think, or rather, vote how you feel. I would love to know.

The next humdinger, is to design an emoticon that actually resembles the emotion that accompanies a newbie question. If you have an idea for a design, post them here.

Cheers
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:27 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,419 Posts
If you want to be rude:
For REALLY dumb questions:
When you're really lost:
For the LTnUP forum:
Babes in Toyland:
Go ahead and ask how to recover a lipo that you left plugged in when it's been asked ten times this week:

Have a ball.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:50 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Well, post counts are a dead giveaway and everyone was a newbie at some point.

I recently lost five lipo packs out of six for seemingly no reason.

Still playing with them but they are about to be tossed because of bizarre daily voltage readings and a certain fear/respect of fire.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
What we really need is an emoticon for people answering questions on topics they have absolutely no knowledge of. I've seen way more of that than I've seen anything else.

Dumb Questions I've seen from Newbies: 0

Dumb Answers from "experts": myriads

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)