SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:24 PM
Lake Orion, MI
Joined Jul 2004
91 Posts
Discussion
Duelist Twin Conversion

This is actually my third conversion after my LT-40 ARF and my (originally) rubber-powered Right Flyer.

I was given this Pica Duelist powered with a pair of O.S. 25 glow engines and no other equipment. It is painted up in the livery of a WWII-era Italian bomber. As close as I can figure, it was built sometime in the 70's.

I had a laundry list of mechanical refurbs including freeing (and lengthening) the landing gear, building servo mounts, assembling linkages and re-installing radio gear and servos.

The other part of the equation was determining the E-powerplant and batteries. I chose to use 2 Mega 22/45/3 brushless inrunners each powered by it's own 4S1P A123 pack through a Castle Phoenix 45 controller. The props are Master Airscrew 11x8 3-blade props and it all pulls about 34 amps static for 394 watts (close to 800W total). I'm not sure of the AUW but estimate it in excess of 10 lbs.

The servos are Standard Hitec HS-422 (rudder, elevator, 2 for ailerons) and I have a separate 4S Nicad pack (no BEC).

It flys!!! We maidened it this evening in 6 mph winds and it took off very sweetly. We did 3 laps of the field in 3 minutes (all WOT) and landed (breaking the tail-wheel mount). Only pulled 699 mA out of the 2200 capacity so I figure I'm good for 7 minute flights WOT, a bit more with throttle management.

Now to repair that tailwheel and learn to fly it for myself for this weekend's Mid-Am Fly.
Robyn_r is offline Find More Posts by Robyn_r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:39 PM
Lake Orion, MI
Joined Jul 2004
91 Posts
Update... I've flown it myself.. A very surprising amount of power for takeoff.. Up in 10 feet on the propellors!

I've gotten around to weighing it. AUW of 9.5 lbs for 83 W/lb power ratio..
I figure I'm good for 6-10 minute flights.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:09 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Robyn
Seriously slinky twin that. Looks good with that tailwheel UC too - vaguely recollect that the oily version had a trike, but could be wrong. The paint job is awesome - I've have kept quiet and claimed I did it ! Except my club buddies know I can't paint for squat.

Your motor choice is interesting - I have one of them in my present Piper Cub - Sig 1/6th scale clipwing. Very handy and powerful, very quiet running too. Mine might be a different wind to yours, but it's an impressive motor.

Where's your batteries - fus or nacelle? I really have to do a twin, might pin your photos on a virtual notice board somewhere for inspiration.

Thank you for sharing

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
Lake Orion, MI
Joined Jul 2004
91 Posts
Hi Dereck,

Thanks for the props! (sic)

I took it out last night to the local club hosting the Mid-Am this year for a pre-contest wringout. I turned the sticks over to my flight instructor, one of the pioneers of electric flight. He did all sorts of fun things with it in the air including snap rolls, slow 4-point rolls, loops, hammer-head turns and of course big gorgeous loops!

I got another flight in myself but dorked the landing (too far out) and broke a prop. All good after new prop. Will fly it again this weekend.

Motors are 22/45/3, 1000KV (not the e model) and yes, very smooth and quiet. At full song it does sound really neat though. The batteries are right in the nacelles, snuggled back against the LE, right where the fuel tanks used to be. UC is very springy and yes, various people have commented that the Duelist was nose-wheel.

Let me know if you want any full-resolution pics and I can email them to you.

Robyn
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:44 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
We have the arf on the wall here,it's tempting me badly,even have the retracts already
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:32 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,527 Posts
Well guys I'm gonna do it..........scored an original Duelist kit the other day and I am going to convert it to ELEC

Robyn's plane is fantastic!! I hope mine turns out half as nice. I'm going to stick with the trike gear and air retracts. Still not sure where to put the batteries as I am concerned about the final balance....

If there is one thing I HATE it is adding weight to a finished plane in order to get it to balance. I'd rather put the servos in the tail now rather than add lead later.

Any advice is well taken and accepted Skip
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; Dec 24, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Nov 2009
16 Posts
Hi owned a duelist in the 70's and it and all others I have seen were for 40's IC mine had twin 45's and while quick not unmangable. I'm getting ready to convert several models myself is am very interested in this adventure some vid. would be nice good flying Les
balsadust1 is offline Find More Posts by balsadust1
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:45 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,527 Posts
I now have both wing halves done and after some sanding will be joining them. The CONVERSION part will come when mounting the engines. I plan on extending the firewall forward some to get more room in the battery compartment (where the fuel tanks would be). ESC's in each wing will be under the batteries in a seperate compartment. COOLING....will be an issue for the batteries and the ESC's which will be delt with when I get to that point!
This is going to be fun!
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Aug 04, 2014, 09:16 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
I ended up buying a partial kit for $25.00 that belonged to a friend that passed away. It was missing the fuse but luckily former templates were in the box. I cut them out on our bandsaw at work and I'm looking over the manual, thinking about the conversion. I fly all EP currently so that is the route I'm taking .

The wing is already built and very well at that, going to put in Electric retracts as well, may convert to a tail dragger
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:24 AM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
Anyone have build tips? I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this bird
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:30 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,661 Posts
You might get some ideas from the Paul Bradley Mini Duelist, designed for EP

http://www.bmjrmodels.com/radio-cont...ist-mk-iii-1-2

RCG thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705994
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:33 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,661 Posts
Check out this video, it is Gerry Armstrongs Duelist EP conversion from SEFF 2011
DuelistMKII (3 min 19 sec)

Lots of very useful pictures.....
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:35 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,661 Posts
BTW, much like the old EFlite Deuces Wild (a copy of the Duelist IMHO), ground clearance is at a minimum....
Grass can be an issue. 3 bladed props help a bit, slightly taller gear/wheels also help a bit.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 02:51 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Sep 2007
128 Posts
any up dates

Just remember about this one while i am getting my slimmer version ready also started converting a older one over to electric need to finnish it
georgeair is offline Find More Posts by georgeair
Old Sep 07, 2014, 02:58 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,440 Posts
A few projects ahead of this one for me