SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:41 PM
Joined Mar 2009
153 Posts
Discussion
First FPV application for the iPhone, decode EzOSD Telemetry : Beta Now Available!

Fellow FPVers,
The ImmersionRC team has been busy on another innovative way to use the EzOSD telemetry data.
Since the data is sent in audio form, we can decode, in real time, on the popular iPhone (2g/3g/3gs) without additional hardware.

A connection from the video receiver's audio channel to the mic. input on the iPhone is basically all that is required. A couple of resistors in the cable handle level shifting (these parts, and the required connectors, can all be picked up off the shelf of a radio-shack store).

The iPhone contains a nice mapping application, presenting both traditional maps, and google's satellite imagery. On 3g/3gs models it even contains its own GPS, so it makes a very interesting tool for finding FPV models which have landed far from their pilot (or even near to their pilot... in a corn field...).

The position of the plane is updated in real-time on the map, along with the position of the iPhone itself.

For EzUHF systems, the full status of the R/C uplink is present in the telemetry stream, so the iPhone app can show received signal strength data (allowing max. range to be estimated).

The app. is just about ready for beta testing, which we will do via Apple's 'Ad-hoc' distribution method, prior to getting the it up in the App. Store.

If you own an EzOSD, and want to be involved in the beta test, drop us an email on info@immersionrc.com.
(Note that this method of testing iPhone apps doesn't require a 'hacked' iPhone, it is fully supported by Apple).

iTelemetry Intro (1 min 22 sec)
ImmersionRC is offline Find More Posts by ImmersionRC
Last edited by ImmersionRC; Oct 07, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:39 PM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
Really nice stuff, time to upgrade my "old" 2G Iphone.
What´s the name of the app?
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:49 PM
FPV Junkie
somewhere in space
Joined Aug 2006
675 Posts
arf ,Antony , good app you've develop ..

I'd like the same for my Android magic google phone..!

what about uhf link ?

Cheers
tazdevil is offline Find More Posts by tazdevil
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:16 PM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
oh yeah...I knew this would have to come one day!
another very good reason for the ezosd

...how about also use it as a 3axis headtracker
Patscherpofel is offline Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Old Jul 08, 2009, 07:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
554 Posts
Subscribed!

Amazing stuff! Count me in!

I see your 3 axis head tracker, and raise you up loadable waypoints
ben1101 is offline Find More Posts by ben1101
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2008
488 Posts
this is so nice!!
JohnyGab is offline Find More Posts by JohnyGab
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:56 AM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1101
Subscribed!

Amazing stuff! Count me in!

I see your 3 axis head tracker, and raise you up loadable waypoints
haha...I raise
-voice alerts by iphone
-voice control by the pilot
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2009
153 Posts
Hey fellow FPVers,
We sent out emails to a few flyers this morning, with the beta version of the iPhone application attached.

As mentioned in the first post here, we will be distributing the application using the 'ad-hoc' method initially (as opposed to the apple App-Store).
If you would like to try out the beta, send us an email with your iPhone ID (find it by clicking on the serial number of your phone in iTunes. This is a 40-digit code.

The documentation contains the recipe for building the interface cable (using readily available parts). This simple cable will be available soon from Zoltan, from NGHobbies.

Some 'success stories' had been mentioned in a related thread 'eating our own dogfood', but this last weekend it again helped us locate a downed plane.

A small group of FPVers got together for a few days of flying in the Alps, beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, and some cool technology to put through its paces.
One flight with an EasyGlider didn't go so well, it was launched without the pilot noticing that a drained battery was used.

By the time the battery voltage was noticed (the 3s pack was at 5.7v), the plane had dropped into a neighboring valley, with the video signal starting to disappear.
A split-second decision to try to fly out of the bottom of the valley was taken, with a goal of putting the plane at the bottom of the slope that we were flying from.
Video was bad, the plane had to be flown between gaps in trees, with no power to climb above treetops.

The plane was finally put down on what appeared to be the bottom of 'our slope', last reported altitude was -100m. Video was lost a few meters from the ground, so the actual landing spot wasn't really known.

A one-hour search started, with a couple of us climbing down the slope, and searching the area where we believed the plane went down.
No sign, the thing had disappeared, with a few hundred $$$ of FPV gear on board (including the only prototype of a new variant of the EzUHF receiver).
(we met one of these guys on the way up... scary moment!: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ns-Eur-001.jpg )

After giving up, and climbing back up to the launch point (Note to self: need more time in the Gym!), we decided to review the recorded video footage. The last few seconds of flight did have a few good video frames (between Camcorder 'blue screens'), but even from that the landing point wasn't very clear.

As a last attempt, the last few seconds were played (from the DV tape) through the iTelemetry app (luckily the interface cable was sitting in the bottom of the flight case).
One of the last received telemetry packets was decoded successfully (amazing considering the state of the video image), and a pushpin appeared on the embedded map.

A second descent down the slope was started, with iPhone in hand. The two pushpins grew closer together, and when they met, in a shallow hollow, a slightly broken EasyGlider was found.
This spot had been just a few tens of meters from the path taken by the first search.

It is important to note that this is not a solution which will recover the plane in all situations. It does assume that you have a relatively decent A/V link until close to the point where the plane goes down.

The longer-range flights with the fully-loaded Cularis used an 'ebay GSM/GPS tracker'.
This is a fairly heavy unit though, and not really suited for smaller models.
(so far this hasn't been tested to recover a lost model, and with a bit of luck it won't be :-)
ImmersionRC is offline Find More Posts by ImmersionRC
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:04 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Nobody? We've slaved away at this application making sure your pricey iPhone purchase would be put to good use when enjoying your FPV hobby as well!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:02 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I don't have an iPhone and I only have mono audio but the idea is awesome!
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:54 AM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
I have an iphone and the superb ezosd
but I have lots of work renovating our house these weeks and probably wont have time to do some fpving

but I will try anyway
Old Oct 09, 2009, 11:00 AM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
and yes, the idea is awesome

would have saved trappy 1 hour of "panicsearching"
if he would have 2 channel audio tranmisson, cant fly without vario of course
Old Oct 09, 2009, 11:09 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
well, not really ... that "very nice lady" in the bar would have still needed to give me access to her PC
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:03 PM
Patsch, Austria
Joined Jul 2007
467 Posts
no playback
the iphone shows it in realtime also, no?
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Oh, right ... I forgot we're in the ezOSD thread Here stuff just works