HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:46 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Discussion
IACC 120 Class

In other threats have been touching on the European IAAC 120 class which has been quietly growing out of Italy & France over last few years.

Claudio Diolaiti is the god father (mean that in the nicest possible way) who designed these beautiful racing yachts and along with many others I would acknowledge him as one of the most talented RC designer/builders of today.

Everything currently scratch built (few start selling hulls, sails etc) and the Italians have such passion for designing and building beautiful boats (like their cars) that sail like Ferrari's.

What is IACC 120 ? well take a look for yourself on these sites into this new wave European class
http://iacc120cup.altervista.org/Main0.html Italian site
http://iacc120cup.free.fr/ac_pages.p...20&height=1200 French site

The IACC 120 is supposed to replicate “almost” to scale 1:20 the America Cup boats. Overall length is 1200 mm, water length is no more than 1000 mm, the Sail Area is 80dm˛ maximum, it should be weighting 4500g minimum and the Fin+Bulb shall not be above 3000g (66%), the draft from the hull bottom is 420mm, Main Luff is 1750 maximum

Total freedom of construction materials not above lead density, for more, the IACC120 Cup "Class Rules" are attached.

On the Italian site there number of pictures and videos you can watch and is full of plans and other interesting details. Plans are free for non-commercial use so far and boats are replicas of a real America Cup Boats such as: ETNZ, Oracle, Alinghi, Desafio, ChinaTeam , Shosholoza and more...

AC 120 races are run in fleet and match racing format practically in the championship most of the race are fleet round robin and the top two winning boats racing against each other in finals, more or less the same as in real Americas Cup racing.

I’m becoming more & more interested in this class, are you? I'm starting researching learn more about this exciting new class of RC yacht racing. Have heard there are a few builds outside Europe in Canada, New Zealand & Australia and maybe more ... love to hear from ya!
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:22 PM
Battle Creek Mi
Joined Jan 2005
760 Posts
Those boats are beautiful Kone. It looks like no expense was spared doesn't it?
Crewdogg998 is offline Find More Posts by Crewdogg998
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:29 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Yes they sure are roughly figured it would cost approx the same as IOM and have finally decided to scratch build IAAC 120 and work in collaboration with another Kiwi building one at the same time in Canada sharing ideas ...as soon as I get up and started I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers K1
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:59 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Alright man .... please post every details ...... i'll be following up close with your build thread ...... I was thinking of building one also
lamafever is offline Find More Posts by lamafever
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:29 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Gidday Lamafever, we started a build thread last evening which you can follow here:

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...2696#post52696

Hey GREAT SAILING for your regatta that starts this weekend ? looking forward to see how you and Darth go ... hope perfect sailing conditions and no sinkings this year uh

Did optune get his new build IOM ready in time ?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:56 AM
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Well , race practice is excellent until my sail hit the fan in the tent and tear the tip of my sail ...... what an unlucky day ..... i was avoiding the crowd in the tent than suddenly without realizing the mast was too close to the fan and ..... next thing i saw was a snapped back stay and tip of my sail creased and got a some what big hole. Geesh ......

Lucky did manage to patch that hole with dacron and hope that it'll not affect my performance .... but before that my boat got commented that it was quite fast and can keep up with the production boats ..... the only i could not chase right now is Azetone, Widget 09 ..... that's about it ... i hope this will continue tomorrow and the day after man ....
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:30 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Don't believe ! hit the barriers in practice well you're only got 2 boats to run down over the weekend and it's in the bag man !?

Then you can put the IOM into storage and start your IAAC 120 build ! NIKE ...JUST DO IT !!!! man I'll come sail with ya
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Hehehehe i'll see if i've got the energy and time i'll build one definatly ...... man ..... i've got no enough skill and got 6th this year :P at least a position better than last year
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Steve, the hull plan as per my PM
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:45 AM
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Konewone, i can only find the plans for the hull, how bout the sail ? are you guys home making them or purchasing them from pro sail maker ?

How about the keel and rudder ?

I'm still thinking which to build ..... IOM Reggae or this? kekekekekeke
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:22 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamafever
Konewone, i can only find the plans for the hull, how bout the sail ? are you guys home making them or purchasing them from pro sail maker ?

How about the keel and rudder ?

I'm still thinking which to build ..... IOM Reggae or this? kekekekekeke
Hi Lamafever ... lol tough decision well me know what you finally decide.

In the mean time I will tempt your decision with attachments (in addition to plan above) which is everything you will need to get started.

I'm using professionally made sails from Todd at Isobar, nothing but the best at good prices, he now has template they will be ready in no time, drop him a line.

Cheers K1
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:27 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Why build the old class? Go for the new AC33 class. The boats have much more potential, speedwise and look a lot better to boot. I have a copy here and there is a thread somewhere that has more on it. Take a look and think about it.
1967250s is online now Find More Posts by 1967250s
Last edited by 1967250s; Jul 28, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:39 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Dagnab it, can't upload the plans. If someone with better skills could post up the AC33a plans , ( I believe they're here somewhere )it would be most appreciated. This is the desgn I believe should be the next AMYA class and maybe even an international class. Lovely slim wedge design with an almost straight shear line and flat bottom, makes it a more attractive yacht and it should go like hell!
1967250s is online now Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:56 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,263 Posts
And why not go the catamaran/trimaran route - or too fast for the monohull sailors?
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:20 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
AC33 is not a class yet, this is a design by Claudio as an early concept boat,

Build log here starts post #45 http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...?t=4991&page=5

But if you happen to know what the next generation of AC designs will look like, I would be very interested along with many others ? excluding the two horse AC trimarans Dick

Did you see the new Alinghi tri launch and pics ....unbelivably fast looking