HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2001, 01:59 PM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
Mounting GWS motor in Depron Planes

Does anyone have a good suggestion for mounting GWS DX-A motors in non-stik plane applications?

I'm trying to get a decent breakaway mount for my depron Klaustrophobia Citabria that doesn't bury the motor in foam or ruin the profile with a rubber band. Here's the original:

http://bund.unisport.etc.tu-bs.de/~m...a/citabria.htm

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Rain City Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Rain City Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2001, 02:16 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Simply build a mount from depron and attach the motor into mount with a drop(s) of epoxy and secure it using glassfiber tape (rubberbands work as well). Then attach the mount into plane using epoxy. If you want to detach the motor later, it is done by just cutting the mount with sharp knife.

Works for me, no problems so far. Check following links for pictures:

Entaes_Nyt?
Garden Cub

-=Mike=-
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Sep 12, 2001, 02:33 PM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
Thanks for the close-up photo. My Citabria is wider than your planes at the nose, but I think I can adapt the design.

How is your wife and new daughter?
Old Sep 12, 2001, 02:45 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rain City Flyer
How is your wife and new daughter?
Thanks , the whole family is very well. The newborn just eats and sleeps and eats and sleeps and... - lets the parents to sleep and rest the nights (the first one didn't...).

-=Mike=-
Old Sep 13, 2001, 02:34 PM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Hi Mike,

my congratulations to you and your wife! Patience worked at last?

Rain City Flyer,

I normally make a firewall from 1/16" birch plywood and glue it to the fuselage, then fix the GWS drive to it with some small self-tapping screws. Example:
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Sep 13, 2001, 03:55 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jberg
my congratulations to you and your wife! Patience worked at last?
Thanks, yes finally - and the result was definitely worth of waiting...

Rain City Flyer: I'm looking forward to see your Citabria photos, flight reports, etc...

-=Mike=-
Old Sep 13, 2001, 04:37 PM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
I don't have a digital camera!

I don't have any indoor areas to fly, so I made a few modifications to the Klaustrophobia plane. Here are the spec's

Span - 36 inches
Chord - 7 inches
Motor - GWS DX/A
Prop - GWS 10x4.7
Gear - Stripped Focus 3 AM, Micro servos
Battery - Qualcomm LI 2 cell 7.2V (stripped the plastic case, retained the protection board and bought a Qualcomm charger on e-bay)
AUW - 8.5 oz

The plane is made from some of the last few sheets of blue underlayment depron from an Award floor dealer mentioned on this site. I am told they are now using 1 mm roll instead of 3mm sheets!

The directions are good with the exception of the motor mount. Built the plane in a couple of hours using UHU Por from LHS.

The original wing was 3 piece, but I built it as one piece with a 2.5 mm carbon tube as a spar. It is held on by traditional rubber bands. I made allowances for the diagonal wing struts, but left them off to allow the wing to separate from the fuse in a crash.

The landing gear as designed was floppy, so I added diagonal carbon rods for stiffening. The poly tube mounting is brilliant in that it let's go on a crash.

I covered the fuse with some strapping tape at the edges to prevent road rash from the parking lot. I then decided to cover the plane with U-Line packing tape. It's too strange having an all blue plane and the foam won't tolerate any paint I have.

It flies well in no wind (am looking for an indoor place to fly). It is a fun plane. I'll try the motor mount suggestions.

Chris