Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:08 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Alert
Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown

Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown

Arvada Associated Modelers presents our inaugural Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown.

Saturday, August 22nd, 2009
Pilots meeting at 8:30 AM with open flying 9AM-dark. With a tentative noon demo featuring AEROWORKS sponsored pilots.

This is a Fun Fly open to ALL 3D aerobatic enthusiasts. Bring you electric, gasoline, and glow powered 3D machines. Heli's are welcome too!! Open flight line with your spotter.

From Foamies to 40%+gassers, EVERYONE is welcome!! If you can Huck it, BRING IT!!

Open invitation to all pilots with an AMA card. $20 pilot registration fee covers lunch and refreshments. Picnic style food includes hot dogs, brats, burgers, chips, and drinks.

Pre-registration is encouraged so we have a head count for food and drinks. Please RSVP by August 15th 2009 if possible. Late arrivals ARE welcome on the 22nd!! RSVP chrisharris2266@yahoo.com Website: www.arvadamodelers.com for up to the minute weather, live web cam, and directions to the field.

750'X50' concrete runway with six pilot stations, a huge pit area with 30+ benches, generous concrete pad for giant scale planes with overflow in the grass and dedicated heli pads.
AAM has 50+ acres of on site parking and car camping is encouraged!! No services provided, but we do have clean Port-o-lets, permanent 30'X50' shade structures, bleachers, and a solar charging station on site. AAM is a world class facility that is proud to carry the AMA Gold Leader Status for 10 years.

Come out and camp Friday night!! Bring your bug spray and sun screen. Be prepared for a full day of hucking on Saturday!

3D fun fly, Extreme Aerobatics, with Down and Dirty 3D ON THE DECK!!

Everyone is welcome to attend! If you want to learn 3D come out and see the show!

Harriers, Blenders, Rollers, Hovering, Walls, Flat Spins, Knife Edge Spins, high alpha Knife edge, Waterfalls, and Torque Rolls are encouraged!

Due to possible radio interference from nearby broadcasting stations72mhz channels 20 and 21 are not recommended. Also avoid using any SINGLE CONVERSION JR RX
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:06 AM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Looks like fun - I'll see you there!

Ryan
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:18 AM
Fly DW foamies!
longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,285 Posts
awesome! i will be there!
appleflyer is offline Find More Posts by appleflyer
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:30 AM
Fly Navy
Rockwall, TX
Joined Sep 2007
245 Posts
Rocky Mountian high...

Kudo's to high altitude flyers. I am from C Springs had to move away for the military, visiting this week. Brought my TREX 500 and a Typhoon 2 to goof around with. When I first flew the Typhoon, I thought wow my battery must be bad. Then I realized it was the altitude. You guys must have to really over motor your birds. I couldn't believe the performance difference from Dallas. BTW TREX did a lot better. Wish I could make the fly in....

MARK
zaboaa is offline Find More Posts by zaboaa
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:44 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Excellent! I'm glad we have some 'locals' that will be out to represent! If you can RSVP Chris so we can start getting things together. We are also talking about having some fun events like tail dipping in a baby pool, or busting balloons while hovering etc... Post your ideas!

zaboaa- there is a fine line between having enough power to pull you around, and having too much weight to get off the ground! I'm flying a DA-100 and I have barely enough to pull out of a hover with a 27# 2.6M Extra. Most of my exits are horizontal...
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:47 PM
Fly Navy
Rockwall, TX
Joined Sep 2007
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody WIlson
Excellent! I'm glad we have some 'locals' that will be out to represent! If you can RSVP Chris so we can start getting things together. We are also talking about having some fun events like tail dipping in a baby pool, or busting balloons while hovering etc... Post your ideas!

zaboaa- there is a fine line between having enough power to pull you around, and having too much weight to get off the ground! I'm flying a DA-100 and I have barely enough to pull out of a hover with a 27# 2.6M Extra. Most of my exits are horizontal...
The Typhoon will hover at 600 ft MSL at a little less than 3/4 throttle. In CS It barely hangs vertical at full throttle, yes horz escape. Would love to know how my 3DH 51" Slick would behave with my Reaper GR45.
zaboaa is offline Find More Posts by zaboaa
Old Jul 08, 2009, 07:25 PM
Tx
Joined Oct 2008
1,007 Posts
Should be a good time, count me in.
tjhawker is offline Find More Posts by tjhawker
Old Jul 08, 2009, 07:30 PM
Like a boss!
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhawker
Should be a good time, count me in.
Oh, just checked my calender, turns out I have a, uh, ski trip to vail scheduled on that day. Sorry I won't make it after all.

Ryan
Old Jul 08, 2009, 07:35 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaboaa
Kudo's to high altitude flyers. I am from C Springs had to move away for the military, visiting this week. Brought my TREX 500 and a Typhoon 2 to goof around with. When I first flew the Typhoon, I thought wow my battery must be bad. Then I realized it was the altitude. You guys must have to really over motor your birds. I couldn't believe the performance difference from Dallas. BTW TREX did a lot better. Wish I could make the fly in....

MARK
One of the great things about electrics is that you can just prop up a little bit (I'm at altitude also) due to the thinner air and get a lot of the power back. The electric motor will still deliver the same power at any altitude, so you can swing a larger (or higher pitch or wider blade) prop to move more of the thinner air.

With a gas or glow setup, you get a double whammy. Less O2 for combustion, and less air for the prop to grab.
Berean is offline Find More Posts by Berean
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:12 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Rocky Mountain 3D pilots are a tenacious bunch! Sure we have some extra challenges; like thinner air; less oxygen for combustion; and a shorter flying season. But that doesn't stop us that's for sure!

One of our goals with this event is to help build up the 3D community in these parts. Get us together and maybe we can learn a few tricks from one another! Down in AZ, CA, NV, NM, and I'd even bet Utah they have thicker air, more flyable days (unless it's 120*!), and can practice year round. We aren't necessarily at a disadvantage, but there are proportionally less of us up here at 5,280'!

Oh- and it costs NOTHING to RSVP.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:45 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,850 Posts
I'll be there. Should be alot of fun.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:22 AM
Gustatus Similis Pullus
USA, CO, Arvada
Joined Mar 2007
573 Posts
Awesome! I will be there. Great job Cody!
qmulus is offline Find More Posts by qmulus
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:34 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Thanks guys- this should be a good time!

We have some info from the club safety officer- let me just say that they were more than generous regarding our flight line. Common sense is the key to keeping the freedom they are granting us. We will have at least one line boss out there at all times keeping things sane, and they will be closely observing whats going on. If you are a competent pilot with good control, and depending on how busy it is we can bring it back clear across the runway, and to the dead line just in front of the pilot stations. This is a very good turn of events. I need to stress that we behave ourselves and be safe. This is more like park flying then I ever expected, and we need to be very aware of other pilots safety and space, and be courteous.

Don't forget about the camping- we are going to see if we can get a burn permit and a portable fire ring for the night before, or after...
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:11 AM
Like a boss!
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Cool, this really sounds awesome. Thanks for making a real 3D event happen in Colorado. Just checked out your site and had no idea how close you were to Boulder - should be a 25 minute commute for me!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:24 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
OK, we have a new flyer. Hope you guys like it!