SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:51 PM
How does it work? How did it?
Karlsruhe, Germany
Joined Mar 2009
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasswalker
As in when the motor is mounted in there, the 2 screws aren't 100% perpendicular to the rest of the frame,
Remove motor, turn 90 around, put back. Unless the other two holes are M3 instead of M2.5 your problem is solved...

Marek
mareklew is offline Find More Posts by mareklew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:58 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareklew
Remove motor, turn 90 around, put back. Unless the other two holes are M3 instead of M2.5 your problem is solved...

Marek
that is a good point,i just built my 450se v2 and noticed the 430 motor had 2 different mounting patterns with different size screw holes.
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:58 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
131 Posts
I think all 4 holes are M3.

I'm using M3 screws now. (hence why I said the holes used to be too small but on mine they appear to have been widened)

Or do you mean the other two holes are normally closer together? they looked to be 4 identical holes mounted in an essentially square pattern.

I'm using the Turnigy 2836 3700Kv motor from HC.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure the holes are all the same, I'll check when I get home. I just suspect it from what I saw before assembly.
Glasswalker is offline Find More Posts by Glasswalker
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:25 PM
Karlsruhe, Germany
Joined Mar 2009
1,155 Posts
On all motors I've had one pair of screws was closer than the other. Sometimes thread sizes differed too, but not as a rule.

Marek
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:31 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,738 Posts
I'm using the same motor. The two inner holes are slightly larger. I had to carve the inner side of the slots with an exacto to widen the holes a bit. The plastic carves easily. Then went to my junkbox to find suitable metric Allen screws. I put washers under the screws to spread out the load so they wouldn't sink into the plastic when you tightened them. I am machining an aluminum motor mount when I get a few minutes at a time.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:02 PM
Karlsruhe, Germany
Joined Mar 2009
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
I'm using the same motor. The two inner holes are slightly larger. [...] Then went to my junkbox to find suitable metric Allen screws.
In my HK450 screws bag tehre were 2x M2.5 (black) and 2x M3 (silver) Allen screws included - however no washers, which are really good idea especially for M2.5 bolts.

Marek
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:13 PM
Safety Beach Victoria Australia
Joined Jul 2007
56 Posts
My first impression is that the motor pinion is to tight a fit to the nylon main gear.
Check a couple of things, the gap between motor and nylon gear, you should feel a small amount of free play between the teeth. Make sure the brass pinion gear is meshing across the FULL face of the nylon gear. Once you got that sorted you will have a fun chopper, I got two hovering and two spare in box for parts, yah I have had a tail boom strike allready, I have reset the negative pitch at idle to neg 1 degree. I think spare kits are the way to do repairs, probably cheaper that buying parts to fit, faster to boot
Tsurwolf is offline Find More Posts by Tsurwolf
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:13 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,738 Posts
Yeah, the 3 mm screws were too short with the washers. I dug up some longer ones and cut them to length.
In the middle of making an EPP body for it of the Sikorski Dragonfly. Should get better at flying the HK before I install it.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:19 PM
Karlsruhe, Germany
Joined Mar 2009
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, the 3 mm screws were too short with the washers. I dug up some longer ones and cut them to length.
If you have a bag of spare mainboard/CD mounting screws (from your PC) the fine-threaded ones are M3 too, and they come with flat large heads that need no extra washers and have perfect length. I was running Turnigy X500-4000 with a pair of these. Only drawback: Philips head, not Allen.

BTW: don't forget threadlock, I once did, motor vibrated the bolts away...
Marek
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:26 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,738 Posts
I'm not a threadlock user. I tighten them down as tight as I can get them, then two turns more. Been tightening screws for to many yrs without it. Havn't had one fall out yet.

Gord.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:32 PM
Karlsruhe, Germany
Joined Mar 2009
1,155 Posts
I consider the plastic motor mount too flimsy to tighten the motor bolts properly, mine was warping when I tried, specially if you needed the motor in the middle of adjustment range.
YMMV, I just threadlocked these in and they stayed put. Whatever works...
Marek
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:09 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,738 Posts
A buddy dialed in IDLE UP in the DX7 for me the other day but it was to windy to try it. Was just outside on the front lawn, up about 8 ft. and kicked in the idle up and it dropped like a brick. Needs a little tweeking as soon as I change my shorts

Gord.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:19 PM
Still a n00b.
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,624 Posts
Quote:
A buddy dialed in IDLE UP in the DX7 for me the other day but it was to windy to try it. Was just outside on the front lawn, up about 8 ft. and kicked in the idle up and it dropped like a brick. Needs a little tweeking as soon as I change my shorts
What are your pitch and throttle curves for normal and IU?

grnbrg.
grnbrg is offline Find More Posts by grnbrg
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:33 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,738 Posts
Not quite sure how to describe them but normal throttle at hovering is about 60% and IU was 50% . No wonder it dropped Didn't realize how far across that bar was till I looked at it while flying. I think I need to put more pitch in mechanically to get the % lower. Just sort of fumbling my way through this stuff.
Gord.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:55 PM
Still a n00b.
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Not quite sure how to describe them but normal throttle at hovering is about 60% and IU was 50% . No wonder it dropped Didn't realize how far across that bar was till I looked at it while flying. I think I need to put more pitch in mechanically to get the % lower. Just sort of fumbling my way through this stuff.
Gord.
What are the numbers in the curves? Mine (before I was running w/ governor) are:

Normal throttle: 0-50-80-80-100
Normal pitch: 45-48-50-75-100

IU throttle: 100-80-80-80-100
IU pitch: 0-25-50-75-100

As you can see, I like a high head speed. Useful things to note are that past 50% throttle, Normal and IU curves are the same and that the IU curves are symmetrical.

It's also best to run brushless motors at 75%-80% throttle or so -- higher throttle levels are more efficient.

grnbrg.
grnbrg is offline Find More Posts by grnbrg