Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:16 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
Build Log
Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub .40 Build Thread

I've started building my Great Planes Piper J-3 Cub .40 today.

This plane has been sitting in my bedroom for a few months now, where I just admired the box and never really decided to open it up. After a while I got bored just looking at it and decided to begin building it.

I figured I should probably get a good start on it now, that way it will be ready by next summer. It's hard for me to always find time in the winter between school and basketball practice every night.

I've never built or flown a Great Planes product, but I have heard very good things about the quality of the kits. The instructions are very clear, the die cut parts all interlock beautifully, and there were no problems with broken or damaged wood.

Tonight I started building the rudder as the intructions suggest. I will later build the vertical stab. Didnt take me long at all.

Here are some pictures of what I have so far.

As always, comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

Dominic
dsaturday is offline Find More Posts by dsaturday
Last edited by dsaturday; Jul 08, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:29 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
Planned power?

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:32 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
I plan on using the recommended 2 stroke OS .40. The plans include an aerobatic clipped wing version for use with a larger engine but I plan on having a more calm relaxed flyer.

Will post some pics of the Horiz. Stab. in a few minutes.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:37 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
Finnished the vert. and horiz. stabs today.

Look pretty good. I will finnish the elevator soon and begin sanding. Then I will use pinned hinges instead of the cheapy little strips provided with the kit.

Here are the pictures so far.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 05:49 AM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Good start! I will be following your build with interest..

Larry Jasmann
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
Old Jul 09, 2009, 02:58 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
Elevator halves are complete.

That makes the vert. stab., hor. stab., rudder, and elevator halves all finished except for some sanding. The hinges will also have to be fitted after I get some pinned ones from my uncle.

These went together just as easily.

In addition, the tailwheel wire will also have to be installed in the rudder and the elevator halves must be joined.

I will be leaving this weekend so no more will be accomplished until sometime next week.

Thats all for now,
Dominic
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:32 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,183 Posts
Nice start on a good project. You will enjoy this Cub !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
Thanks Tom.

I've been flying my T-28 Trojan lately but theres still a place in my heart for the nitro/gas powered planes (Nitro is probably the proper term but we also call em gassers).

Im sure I will enjoy this plane. If it flies like any other cub, I would imagine is a calm and docile flyer.

After a little more work on these tail feathers, I shall begin the wings. They should hopefully be a fun project.

I have my T-28 with me this weekend here in Columbus, but the wind hasnt died down since we got here. Looks like all flights are gonna be grounded. =[

Until next week,
Dominic
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:57 AM
Joined Oct 2005
98 Posts
Make sure that you always fly with the wing struts installed, eventhough the manual says you don't have to use them. I had the wing break in half on mine while flying without the struts. Here is a link to the thread with pictures of my cub. It broke right at the dihedral brace, where the two spars come together. Great Planes did send me a replacement kit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544206
cubman221 is offline Find More Posts by cubman221
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:05 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
Cubman221, did you build that kit of was it an ARF?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:11 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
More work today.

Ive started the left wing today. Went together like a snap. Im amazed at how great these parts fit together. Minimal gaps if any. Never built a Great Planes product but Im impressed and will surely build another sometime.

Heres the pics. Next step involves adding the wingtips.

This set of wings are gonna be a pretty decent size. 76" I believe.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
What the heck. I couldnt stay away from this plane. I was down in the basement the rest of the day.

Finnished both wing halves. All thats left is to join em.

Heres some pics.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:32 PM
Perpetual RC Newbie
Powell, OH
Joined Aug 2007
96 Posts
Cool project... watching with interest! I always wanted to try out a Cub, but my "slow puppy dog" quota is filled by my Senior Telemaster

Noticed you mentioned Columbus... I fly up at the Alum creek (WMAA) field... in case you ever get there

Cheers... look forward to seeing your bionic cub come together!
Shazbot996 is offline Find More Posts by Shazbot996
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sun got in my eyes ...
Northeast Ohio
Joined Jun 2007
207 Posts
Yea I've been to Columbus a few times before. My sisters into traveling softball. It would be interesting to meet up with some other flyers. Our field has been deserted for a while. My great uncle is 80 and used to fly there probably 15 years ago. Most of the people that belonged to that club have either passed or are much too old to fly anymore.

I will pos some more pictures soon. 30 min epoxy is required for my next step. "Joining the wing halves"

Dom
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:03 AM
Joined Oct 2005
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaturday
Cubman221, did you build that kit of was it an ARF?

I built the kit version (non-arf). It was a great flying plane, until the wing folded. I guess no plane will fly good with a folded wing though.
cubman221 is offline Find More Posts by cubman221