HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2009, 09:57 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,158 Posts
Build Log
New Approach Engineering AH-1F Cobra kit

Approach engineering has finally released it's BIG cobra kit. Available from Starwood Scale Models. I've been waiting for this one for a couple of years. I just ordered it, I dont have any pictures of it but will post them as soon as it arrives. I'll try to do a good detailed build log with lots of pics.

Although the kit is marketed as 60-90, Dr. Tim assures me that 50 mechanics will fly it just fine, so mine is going to be based on a Raptor .50

Cant wait, its my 50th birthday present and also my project for while I'm home with back surgery (another subject entirely)
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:30 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto
Approach engineering has finally released it's BIG cobra kit. Available from Starwood Scale Models. I've been waiting for this one for a couple of years. I just ordered it, I dont have any pictures of it but will post them as soon as it arrives. I'll try to do a good detailed build log with lots of pics.

Although the kit is marketed as 60-90, Dr. Tim assures me that 50 mechanics will fly it just fine, so mine is going to be based on a Raptor .50

Cant wait, its my 50th birthday present and also my project for while I'm home with back surgery (another subject entirely)

You will enjoy the build. This re-release of James Linder's big Cobra brings his first kit offering back to life. Dr. Tim Dawson has completely reworked the original kit with many improvements and I know it's going to be a winner and a big seller.

Thanks again Dr. Tim for all the effort and continued success for Approach Engineering kits. Can't wait for the Whiskey Cobra.

Cheers - Boyd.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:45 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,158 Posts
this is tim's build up to primer

I got to see James' original 60 cobra a couple of years ago. Was sorry to learn of his passing
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:12 PM
Springfield, MA
Joined Dec 2004
510 Posts
Proud Owner of the First Production Model

I'm putting my Raptor 50 (electric conversion) in it..

We'll have to share building techniques...

Grant
GrantL is offline Find More Posts by GrantL
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:53 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,158 Posts
cool deal Grant. Did you just order yours? There is a guy at my work who was a Cobra mech back in his army days. He is going to help me with the panel lines and detail once I get that far.

what are you going to paint with?
Old Jul 08, 2009, 07:46 PM
Springfield, MA
Joined Dec 2004
510 Posts
Quote:
cool deal Grant. Did you just order yours? There is a guy at my work who was a Cobra mech back in his army days. He is going to help me with the panel lines and detail once I get that far.

what are you going to paint with?
I have a guy in our club that used to fly Cobras and I'll be picking his brain.. Haven't even thought about paint yet.. Your build will be far ahead of mine as I'm building a Huey for my flying Bud and I've got to get that finished first..
GrantL is offline Find More Posts by GrantL
Last edited by GrantL; Jul 08, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:18 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
I got to see this in person at the Champaign fly in. Was way to big to fly inside the building. But talk about detailed !
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:24 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,158 Posts
wow, I only hope my cobra comes out just half way as nice as that apache did!
Old Jul 09, 2009, 06:34 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,158 Posts
Heres what was on my doorstep today from UPS. I guess I was expecting a refridgerator box... everything is nicely packed and organized. The smaller box is the tail drive adapter unit. Full size plans, nice construction book, well packaged. So I dont think I'll get started tonight, dont have my building space back yet. My wife has been working on her master's degree in art and my building space is now a studio.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:29 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious
I got to see this in person at the Champaign fly in. Was way to big to fly inside the building. But talk about detailed !
Very very very nice photos!! I show those photos to one of my flying buddies who are interested in getting it.

BTW, the 1st and 2nd picture, they install the blades in the wrong direction.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Heres what was on my doorstep today from UPS. I guess I was expecting a refridgerator box... everything is nicely packed and organized. The smaller box is the tail drive adapter unit. Full size plans, nice construction book, well packaged. So I dont think I'll get started tonight, dont have my building space back yet. My wife has been working on her master's degree in art and my building space is now a studio.
Wow, now that is what I would call a builders kit! Reminds me of one of them balsa airplane kits

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
walkera (ab)user
Joined Jul 2007
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Hornet

BTW, the 1st and 2nd picture, they install the blades in the wrong direction.

SH
mebee just proof of concept, ie: just get her airborne in "conventional trim"
then sort it out for the rivet counters later?
gimbal is offline Find More Posts by gimbal
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
mebee just proof of concept, ie: just get her airborne in "conventional trim"
then sort it out for the rivet counters later?
There was a time that Indy Heli used display blades that showed a CCW rotation, but when it was time to fly off came the display blades and on went the flight blades which spun in a non-scale CW direction. I have two of these big boys and the one in flight trim is set for CCW as in the full size Apache.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:07 AM
Will work for heli's
Bend, OR.
Joined Mar 2005
2,057 Posts
looking forward to seeing your build
Dogwoodtheone is offline Find More Posts by Dogwoodtheone
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Gee

I wish I had driven past your house and seen that sitting out there all by itself !

Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious