HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by nauga, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:34 PM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,445 Posts
Well, if you had paid your extensive ISR dues, you might have access to the two, countem two! paint booths in the new ISR world headquarters..... DOH!
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:03 AM
Sherpa
La Quinta, Ca.
Joined Sep 2003
1,634 Posts
Min Bladefor sale

Dave,

Well the new year is almost here and we are still thinking of flying our toys. Speaking of which the mini blade is still ready for your inspection and pick up. I will be attending the AMA show next week and can bring it there if you want. Just let me know.

Rick
Schwemmer is offline Find More Posts by Schwemmer
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Finally some progress.

Been a while. New pics don't look like much, but a new cockpit floor is in (and back out for painting), new panel blank has been cut and fitted, and a slick new throttle quadrant installed. I've spent a lot of time fiddling with the new panel gear - glass is replacing most of the steam gauges. I've gotten three new boxes (EFIS, engine monitor, and GPS) to talk to a netbook that will be strapped into the back seat for flight test - they'll go in the panel after the forward deck has been re-fitted.

Nauga,
who knows it's a mess
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Last edited by nauga; Jan 27, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:46 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Been a while...PSS Fest 2011 is over and the garage has been swept again. Spent the last few days catching up on status and sorting out things before diving back in. The RV is back on the gear, the panel has been cut and the canopy latch has been completely reworked. Spent the last bit of the evening fitting a new throttle grip (no pics). This one will have PTT and a start switch on the throttle grip, where they belong.

Nauga,
and his gripping tale...
Last edited by nauga; Jan 27, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 07:54 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Joined Mar 2004
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauga View Post
...It should also be a bit lighter after the rebuild so maybe a little better performance...

Nauga,
riveted

Dave, how about the pilot?
John Rood is offline Find More Posts by John Rood
Old Jun 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
Dragon Link/Labs Engineer
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
You're based at an airport near Chesterfield that has an ICAO resembling that of what Santa says, aren't you? Randomly saw this on the sidebar and recognized the bridge in the background of one of your photos.
chris1seto is offline Find More Posts by chris1seto
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
If you think wiring's tedious, try *re*wiring. I swear it all made sense when I drew it.

This time I'm laying it all out and doing a fit-check with the fuel and brake plumbing before cutting and crimping the ends to make things look a little neater.
Takes some time but should be worth it.

Nauga,
spending more time thinking than building
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Tonight's installment: Fitting and cutting and flaring rigid internal fuel lines.
Last night's installment: Fitting and cutting and flaring rigid internal fuel lines.
Tomorrow's installment: Fitting and cutting and flaring rigid internal fuel lines.

There are only 5 sections in the fuse, but they have to be a fair bit more precise than the flex-lines they're replacing. They look a lot neater and take less space, that's for sure. Pics when I find the camera.

Nauga,
who can make modern art with the scraps. A LOT of modern art.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:26 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Finally got around to organizing a few photos. As soon as I can find a more appropriate and flexible site to host this stuff I'll be moving it...is anyone actually reading it?

Currently working on the pitch trim system. The trim actuator is being relocated from inside the elevator to in the tailcone, a known mod for this airplane. After the Reno mishap you can bet I'm checking things pretty carefully. That means the fuse gets banged around a bit while I move and fit things, so the panel remains empty. As soon as the trim is done I'll start installing the avionics and basic wiring. Then the pictures will look a lot cooler.

Nauga,
slowly but surely
Last edited by nauga; Jan 27, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:15 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I'm definitely reading along Nauga! Keep it up!

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Lots of panel doin's going on. Tail is mounted, elevator trim has been reworked and is done except for a connector on the actuator. Pneumatic fittings on order...things are happenin'!

Nauga,
who needs a third elbow
Last edited by nauga; Jan 27, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
An instrumental.

Nauga,
stepping into the light.
Last edited by nauga; Jan 27, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Gawd that's a lot of wires! Are the radios and transponder built into the EFIS?

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Gawd that's a lot of wires! Are the radios and transponder built into the EFIS?
That's only 3 of 7 wiring harnesses behind the panel There's one more out of frame and three sitting on the bench.

The radio and transponder are separate from this EFIS, although the altitude encoder is built into it. In the picture, left to right, top to bottom:

Column 1:
Canopy holddown (a hole in the panel with a bearing block behind)

Column 2:
Intercomm/audio mixer (combines all the different sources of audio)
2 trim disconnect switches (pitch and roll)

Column 3:
Transponder (mode C right now, maybe mode S in the near future)
VHF Comm radio

Col. 4:
Standard airspeed indicator (analog backup )
Integrated engine monitor
Tach source select switch

Col 5:
EFIS (airspeed, altitude, attitude, AOA, heading, and a bunch of other stuff)
Portable GPS (signals also drive steering on the EFIS)

Col 6:
Standard altimeter
The rest of the GPS
Caution/warning/advisory lights

Col 7.
Wet compass
Accelerometer ("g-meter")
Lights press-to-test pushbutton

Col 8.
ELT test panel
Position reporting system on/off switch

That's most of the flashy stuff. Most of the switches are on a panel on the right sidewall (just got repainted, not mounted in the picture), or on the stick and throttle as appropriate. Most of the avionics dump data out to serial so I've got a 'data acquisition' computer that mounts in the back seat. Also have a 2nd GPS receiver in the right wingtip for automatic position reporting (APRS). Should be a much nicer setup than my original panel (pic to follow).

Nauga,
paneling the office
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Here's what that replaced. I'm getting rid of the flaky PDA moving map, the vacuum system (artificial horizon and vertical gyro) are gone along with about 15 pounds of hose, regs, filters, and other associated junk. I didn't like having to look around the stick to read the engine numbers so that's been moved to the panel and the trim indicators and fuel gauges are now managed by the engine display. I'm looking forward to flying behind it. The old panel was all very manageable in flight but the new panel should be much more readable and lighter.

Nauga,
and his man-machine interface
Last edited by nauga; Jan 27, 2012 at 07:23 PM.