HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2009, 07:31 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
Discussion
ParkZone P-51 Gunfighter vs F4U Corsair

Well Parkzone now makes my two favorite Warbirds in ZFoam So I need to pick one to be my tough aerobatic parkflyer.

For those that have both, would you be so kind as to compare the flight characteristics for me as well as others who I'm sure are interested as well.

Speed: Looks like the Gunfighter will have an easier time here.
Wind Handling: Which bird gets thrown around less in the wind?
Tracking: Which bird flies like it's on rails more?
Aerobatics: Which bird does a better job at flying pattern type moves, cubin 8's, stall turns, knife edge flight(rudder servo added to gunfighter)
Slow flight: Which bird is under more control in slow flight?
Flat Spins?

Add anything else that will help.
Thanks!
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Last edited by JimTMich; Jul 07, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2009, 07:47 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Wind...corsair
tracking...tie
aero...corsair by a hair...really too close to call
Slow flilght.... tie... both fly well slow
Flat spins..no idea as I havent done that with either

I dont think you could go wrong with either....
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jul 07, 2009, 09:46 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
824 Posts
Pretty much of a tie on everything except slow flight. My Corsair has much more control in slow flight, and I could probably fly it in a Gymnasium. John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:52 PM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
I only have the Mustang and I love it, but this may help... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068281
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:56 AM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I would think the P51 with the Corsair's ESC and prop would be the winner
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:24 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I have both. The P-51 is an absolute blast to fly - I enjoy it more than the Corsair. Maybe because it's new, but it seems much more solid.

Here is my review:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=136

Since I wrote this, I was able to move the battery back a little and eliminate the nose-up trim. So now rolls are much better and pretty axial.

I am not great at knife edge, but the P-51 seems easier - less coupling between the rudder and roll.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:23 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll be picking up a Gunfighter tomorrow.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:10 PM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
Anyone using the PKZ Trojan Prop on the Gunfighter with stock elecs?

I'm assuming the 18amp esc could handle it.

How's the performance with the prop upgrde compared to stock?

B.T.W. Why does PKZone insist on using plastic geared boxes on brushless setups???

It seems so outdated and so inefficient???
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:51 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60
Anyone using the PKZ Trojan Prop on the Gunfighter with stock elecs?

I'm assuming the 18amp esc could handle it.

How's the performance with the prop upgrde compared to stock?

B.T.W. Why does PKZone insist on using plastic geared boxes on brushless setups???

It seems so outdated and so inefficient???
I wouldn't try that prop on the 18 amp ESC.

I have a 30 amp Corsair ESC in mine, and did fly with the T-28/F4U 2-bladed prop. It sounded smooth, but not as much thrust or top end as the MA 11x7.

I never even flew mine stock. I would have, but the day I bought it, I had a bunch going on until after dark, so I had time to mod, but not to fly.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 09:16 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
I have both. The P-51 is an absolute blast to fly - I enjoy it more than the Corsair. Maybe because it's new, but it seems much more solid.

Here is my review:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=136

Since I wrote this, I was able to move the battery back a little and eliminate the nose-up trim. So now rolls are much better and pretty axial.

I am not great at knife edge, but the P-51 seems easier - less coupling between the rudder and roll.
man why do you have to have such a great review posted when im broke?
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:25 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,458 Posts
Guys, I just picked up the mustang. I couldnt resist it. I have to say the mustang flys much better than the corsair. It tracks better and is more responsive. It seems more stable too???? I was blown away on how well she flew, I didnt expect that. My first flight I flew inverted and drugg rudder without issue. It tracks well. She weighed in at 23.5oz rtf. Its light and is faster than the corsair. I also like the fact that the wings dont look as though they are going to snap when you yank a tight loop like the corsair. So all in all I am very happy with it. The only thing is that I mostly fly 3D so flying without a rudder is really annoying. Thats going to be my first mod. Getting about 10 to 11 min flight times
Old Jul 10, 2009, 06:25 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Told ya'!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:57 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2007
133 Posts
Took my Gunfighter out for the second time last night, I am very happy with this plane. I don't have a lot of experience, I just got into this hobby a couple of years ago (and I'm a slow learner) but this plane seems very solid and very smooth. It's also faster than I expected, with all the talk about larger props and speed controls, I thought it was going to be a little slower.

I've flown the T-28 and the Corsair and to tell the truth, they all seem to fly really well, I can't see where somebody could go wrong buying any of the three.

If I give it too much throttle while taking off it rolls over to the left, I assume that must be from the torque of the motor, correct?
timbo66 is offline Find More Posts by timbo66
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:01 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo66
Took my Gunfighter out for the second time last night, I am very happy with this plane. I don't have a lot of experience, I just got into this hobby a couple of years ago (and I'm a slow learner) but this plane seems very solid and very smooth. It's also faster than I expected, with all the talk about larger props and speed controls, I thought it was going to be a little slower.

I've flown the T-28 and the Corsair and to tell the truth, they all seem to fly really well, I can't see where somebody could go wrong buying any of the three.

If I give it too much throttle while taking off it rolls over to the left, I assume that must be from the torque of the motor, correct?
That is normal. Its the torque of the motor