HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2003, 10:20 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
Question about Imeins tail LED setup

I have a question for Imeins, or anyone who has done his tail LED. I did it on my piccolo, and it workes great. I dont know to much about electronics, but was wondering how the slight increase in current draw from the LED would affect the Piccoboard gyro, because I had to reduce the gain after I soldered it on. just wondering if it could affect the gyro in a negitive way. although I dont seem to have a problem after I readjusted it.
robw is offline Find More Posts by robw
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2003, 05:52 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Rob,
What LED did you use for the tail? I looked at Ingmar's circuit, and he doesn't show a series resistor on the tail LED, because he used a flashing LED with built in electronics. If you used a standard LED, without a built in resistor or electronics, it will probably draw too much current, and limit the voltage to the tail motor.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Apr 05, 2003, 08:32 PM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
I used a flashing Led, but It is only rated at 3volts, I dont know how much current/voltage goes to the tailmotor, but I did use a 100ohm resistor to bring it down to a level safe for the Led.
It's just my Piccoboard seems to be acting funny after I did this. I can't understand how it would screw anything up, it could be coincidence or just my imagination though I removed the Led, and its still acting weird.
here is a pic:

Old Apr 05, 2003, 10:21 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Rob,
The way you wired it looks just fine, and I don't see any reason it should affect the gyro. Maybe your tail motor is starting to go. All the reports are that they don't last very long.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Apr 06, 2003, 10:25 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Here's how I did mine...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&threadid=9078
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Apr 06, 2003, 09:03 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
Hi.. The LED I used is designed to operate from 3-10v without the need for a series resistor. Since the LED may receive up to 9 volts or so you could happily try values from about 680ohms and down and still get a reasonable amount of light out of it. Obviously the higher the value the lower the current and possible effect on anything else. With a 680R at 9 volts you limit the current to 13mA, (not taking into account the LED voltage drop). At 100R of course you end up with up to 90mA!!

Ingmar
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins
Old Apr 07, 2003, 11:05 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
Hmm, I could not find an Led like the one you have, mine is rated 2.5-5 volts. I did change the resistor to a 220ohm, and it didn't affect the brightness, but anything more than that and it gets very dim.