HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2009, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Yippee!
Bucker Jungmann ARF!

Any experience with this particular model? I've got one on the way.

Rube

http://www.texasrcplanes.com/buckerjumpner.html
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Last edited by Rube Goldberg; Jul 07, 2009 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2009, 07:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Looks fantastic!

Beats waiting for the E-Flite PT-17 Stearman!

High quality and super price!

I will call for estimated weight!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
UPS should deliver tomorrow. I'll take some photos, put things on the scales and follow up this thread.

Rube
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:18 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube Goldberg
UPS should deliver tomorrow. I'll take some photos, put things on the scales and follow up this thread.

Rube
Rube,

That's great news! I almost pulled the trigger but, I have a Pacific Models Tiger Moth 30 in my closet with 49 inch wing span and I just could not justify.

However, if your weigh-in seems to be light enough, I get the Silver version!

Thanks again!
Carlos
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:39 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,612 Posts
Carlos:

What does your Tiggie look like?
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jul 07, 2009, 06:32 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
Carlos:

What does your Tiggie look like?
It is all Yellow version and not the Military Dark Green and Yellow.

Why?
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:30 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
The silver one would be my choice as well since I've completed my scratchbuilt yellow Jungmeister it would be a great addition to it's brother!!...

Rube, I'll be checking this thread frequently!!...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:34 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,457 Posts
Link to my scratchbuilt 43" wingspan Bucker Jungmeister project thread for those interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=306

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Well, good news and not so good news.

UPS showed up with the large box. When I took delivery of it I noticed the label on the outer box (it is double boxed) read "Bucker Jungmann 40"....and sure enough after opening the box it is revealed that they sent the glow version and not the electric version. Totally different airplane.

Get on the phone and call the owner. He is very apologetic about the mix up and is getting the yellow electric version I had ordered on its' way to me this afternoon. So I should see it Friday. An honest mistake, and the one on its' way is going to include a UPS return shipping label to get this one back to him at his cost.

So stay tuned and hopefully Friday we'll have a report.

Rube
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:00 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,612 Posts
Well, see, I have a 50" Tiggie, that I bought through Ebay. There isn't any manufacture markings on the box, but I know it isn't from Green Models. It is for .30 2s, or .45 4s, and is in the "trainer" cammo and yellow. Its a very nice bird, and flies well with an AXI 2826 and 3s A123's. I wouldn't mind getting another, if I could find the same kit.

Have any photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
It is all Yellow version and not the Military Dark Green and Yellow.

Why?
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:29 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
Well, see, I have a 50" Tiggie, that I bought through Ebay. There isn't any manufacture markings on the box, but I know it isn't from Green Models. It is for .30 2s, or .45 4s, and is in the "trainer" cammo and yellow. Its a very nice bird, and flies well with an AXI 2826 and 3s A123's. I wouldn't mind getting another, if I could find the same kit.

Have any photos?
Yes!!! I Certainly do and I bought this one from my Buddy Gerry who goes by SIMANO and has posted here as well.

I also have a brand new "Yellow" version in the BOX.

Here is the exact model and if you are still interested and assuming it is the SAME model then, Please PM me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...fic+aeromodels
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:31 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube Goldberg
Well, good news and not so good news.

UPS showed up with the large box. When I took delivery of it I noticed the label on the outer box (it is double boxed) read "Bucker Jungmann 40"....and sure enough after opening the box it is revealed that they sent the glow version and not the electric version. Totally different airplane.

Get on the phone and call the owner. He is very apologetic about the mix up and is getting the yellow electric version I had ordered on its' way to me this afternoon. So I should see it Friday. An honest mistake, and the one on its' way is going to include a UPS return shipping label to get this one back to him at his cost.

So stay tuned and hopefully Friday we'll have a report.

Rube
Rube,

That really sucks to find a heavier verison and with less wing span!

I hope they send you the CORRECT model a little faster!!

I do hope they know we are watching!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:59 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Can't wait to see some pictures.
Doctor Who is online now Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Should have the electric version delivered this afternoon, in the mean time I went ahead and took a look at the glow powered model they originally sent which can be found here:

http://www.texasrcplanes.com/arfbiplbuju.html

Video of what appears to be the same model here; most of the time a dot in the sky---but note the slow speed of the many landing approaches--which is what really matters .....

Bucker Jungmann rc model airplane (5 min 11 sec)

Of course curiosity killed the cat, so I pulled out the postal scale and thought I'd weigh the components of the glow powered one to get a rough estimate on the wing loading. So here are the weights as they appear on my scales with one caveat----everything was bagged in pretty heavy clear plastic. I did not remove any of the plastic bags containing the wings, fuse etc.; I figure the added weight of the bags would be replaced with adhesives in the build so lets figure that a wash.

Top wing @ 10 oz.
Bottom wing @ 10 oz.
Cowl @ 4 oz.
Landing gear @ 4 oz.
Hardware @ 8 oz. (wheels, pants, spinner etc. in a bag)
Hardware @ 3 oz. (struts, plywood motor mount box etc. in a bag)
Canopy @ 2 oz.
Fuel tank @ 2 oz.
Tail group @ 2 oz. (horizontal and vertical stab, elevators and rudder)
Fuselage @ 13 oz.
-------------------------------------------------
Total weight bare airframe= 58 oz. or 3#-10 oz.

Now, realizing this is the scale electric plane forum, I'll leave it up to those interested in making an electric conversion. The structure of the fuselage at the firewall is, in my opinion, somewhat suspect for a glow engine, more like what you would find in an electric model. I don't know how many reps with an electric starter on a glow motor it would handle. There is a removable hatch that consists of the canopy forward to the firewall between the cabanes, and the construction of the fuselage in this area actually looks like it would house a lipo battery with no problem.

That being said, were I to build this one as a glow model, then I'd probably go with a Supertigre GS45 for power, S3004 servos and a 4.8v battery pack. This would add about 27 oz. of additional weight, and the total weight would be in the ball park of 85 oz.---given a spec'd wing area of 495 square inches the wing loading would then be in the 25 oz./square foot range, which should make for a pretty good flyer--nothing like the typical wing loading found in this forum but nonetheless "respectable" for a glow model of this type.

Rube
Last edited by Rube Goldberg; Jul 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 04:12 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
3:30pm CST..the electric Bucker has arrived!

And it was almost refused! I let the UPS driver know that I wasn't happy with the initial indications of the package---it wasn't double boxed and somebody somehow managed to rip a gaping hole in the bottom of the box. I reached in and pulled out the hardware bags.

Upon opening the box and taking a quick inventory/damage assesment, looks as if the center sheeting of the top wing right in the middle has been crushed. Everything else appears intact.

Ok, to the scales!

Fuselage @ 14.5 oz.
Top wing @ 5.5 oz.
Lower wing @ 4.5 oz.
Struts & gear fairings @ 2.5 oz.
Cowl & windscreens @ 2 oz.
Tail group @ 3.0 oz.
Landing gear @ 3.0 oz.
Hardware bag @ 4.5 oz. (main wheels, tail wheel assy. clevi & horns)
pushrods @ 1.5 oz.
-------------------------------
Total= 41 ounces!

Hmmmm, something's not quite right......the box along with the instructions state the wing area to be 556.5 square inches, wingspan as 55.1 inches.

The wingspan is correct. The wing area is incorrect according to my measurements:

Lower wing area= 55 X 7.5 -(.75 X 5)+1/2(3 X 3)(2)=399.75 inches square
Upper wing area= 55 X 7.5 -1/2(3 X 3)(2) + (9 X 2.5)=381.0 inches square
------------------------
Total= 780.75 inches square!

In the lower wing the calculation is a constant chord wing of 55" X 7.5" less the .75" X 5" notch to fit the fuselage, and less two 3" X 3" triangles for the trailing edge wing tips.

The upper wing calculation is again a constant chord wing of 55" X 7.5" less 2 triangles of 4.5" X 2.5" for the cut out over the center of the fuselage in the trailing edge, and less two 3" X 3" triangles for the trailing edge wing tips.

Pictures, with my E-Flite Taylorcraft for reference. The covering job looks really nice, the color is more of a cub yellow (orange'ish yellow) than the photos appear.
Last edited by Rube Goldberg; Jul 10, 2009 at 04:23 PM.