HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:30 PM
Registered User Wannabe
rodneygt's Avatar
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
littlewing, I have an apc 14x4w on my .82 and it will turn right at 10k on the ground - 15% omega/cool power mixed. I think that I may try a 15x4 xoar on it. It was on a profile but is slated for that 3dhs sukhoi now.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:05 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
littlewing, I have an apc 14x4w on my .82 and it will turn right at 10k on the ground - 15% omega/cool power mixed. I think that I may try a 15x4 xoar on it. It was on a profile but is slated for that 3dhs sukhoi now.
I was thinkin the same rodney . I have a 14x4 Xoar on my 82 which is on a Mojo 40 . It spools up fast but it seems like it needs a little more load on the motor . The APC 14x4w sucks . It's slow on spool up and heavy , but it did idle lower than the Xoar . I was thinking 15x4 xoar . I have a 15x6 Xoar on my 115 and it has unlimited vertical on my 7.5+lb edge540t .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
TDI Abuser
flyinghigh's Avatar
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Im getting 10,600 rpm on the 14x4W on 15% Omega . 11,200 with 30% cool power and 10,000rpm with 15x4W on 30% ,9600 with 15%
The Xoar's are poor at top end RPM, Im getting really good performance and spool up on the 14x4W's . I have not done thrust test yet but maybe this weekend if the rain subsides .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:32 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
I'm thinkin I was only getting 9800 with the APC 14x4w. My motor is 3yrs old . Maybe it's time to put the new bearings and seals in it i got laying around . I run powermaster 20/20 in mine . But I ran wildcat for the first two years of the 82's life . Maybe that did it in . No war intended with prior remark. Just personal opinion .

How old is your motor flyinghigh? I have a new 82 in the box but I hate to put a new one on a MOJO . The airframe rattles motors apart . It makes your eyes spin trying to adjust the top end screw .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:48 PM
I meant to do that
littlewing78's Avatar
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
Its on my MOJO 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman
What plane?

We been runnin 13x4W's on our UCanDo's with .72"s and I run a 14x4W on my 91 on a 60 sized Twist.

If you know you want to run a 4W prop then its basically determining how fast you want it to spool up. I'll bet it idles really well swingin that 14
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:58 PM
I meant to do that
littlewing78's Avatar
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
Where can I find Xoar props.
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:51 AM
Registered User Wannabe
rodneygt's Avatar
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing78
Where can I find Xoar props.
http://www.texas-hobbies.com/props.htm is where I bought mine (13x4 for my os55ax).

swanyshouse.com also has them
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:54 AM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
I'm thinkin I was only getting 9800 with the APC 14x4w. My motor is 3yrs old . Maybe it's time to put the new bearings and seals in it i got laying around . I run powermaster 20/20 in mine . But I ran wildcat for the first two years of the 82's life . Maybe that did it in . No war intended with prior remark. Just personal opinion .

How old is your motor flyinghigh? I have a new 82 in the box but I hate to put a new one on a MOJO . The airframe rattles motors apart . It makes your eyes spin trying to adjust the top end screw .

Mike, my Saito, Laser, Enya and OS fourstrokes have run on a steady diet of WildCat for 18 years. I never lost a bearing or anything else for that matter. From what I've observed most bearing problems are more imagined than real.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:54 AM
Registered User Wannabe
rodneygt's Avatar
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
Im getting 10,600 rpm on the 14x4W on 15% Omega . 11,200 with 30% cool power and 10,000rpm with 15x4W on 30% ,9600 with 15%
The Xoar's are poor at top end RPM, Im getting really good performance and spool up on the 14x4W's . I have not done thrust test yet but maybe this weekend if the rain subsides .
Most stock 82 numbers on 15% w/ an apc 14x4w that I've seen are approx 9900 +/- 300-400. And mine is right around 10K - may have been 10100 but not totally sure (that's with a spinner on it).

Are you using a "turbo muffler"?

I have a 100 on a warbird with a pipe (angle adapter & macs flex pipe) and I believe that added a couple hundred extra rpm - low to mid 9Ks with a 3-bladed 14x7, IIRC. I've another 100 w/ stock muffler and it turns a 2-blade ma k-series 15x6 at about 9300 or 9400, IIRC. (roughly the same as the 3-bladed 14x7) - - all on 15% cool power/omega mixed.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:44 PM
flyingking
Joined Jun 2009
21 Posts
I was flying a T-28 60size with an enya 60 2 stroke changed to a Saito 72 fourstroke and was amazed with the difference. Flys beautiful. Will get more Saitos
flyingking is offline Find More Posts by flyingking
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:36 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
Dad_Roman's Avatar
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing78
Its on my MOJO 40
Sweet. You should try a 13x4W.

Xoar props are a great way to go. Standard blade so I would guess a 14x4 for that motor. Possibly a 13x4 but the 14 dia should work due to it being less weight, mass and a standard blade width
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:15 PM
TDI Abuser
flyinghigh's Avatar
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
Most stock 82 numbers on 15% w/ an apc 14x4w that I've seen are approx 9900 +/- 300-400. And mine is right around 10K - may have been 10100 but not totally sure (that's with a spinner on it).

Are you using a "turbo muffler"?

I have a 100 on a warbird with a pipe (angle adapter & macs flex pipe) and I believe that added a couple hundred extra rpm - low to mid 9Ks with a 3-bladed 14x7, IIRC. I've another 100 w/ stock muffler and it turns a 2-blade ma k-series 15x6 at about 9300 or 9400, IIRC. (roughly the same as the 3-bladed 14x7) - - all on 15% cool power/omega mixed.
Yes Im using a turbo header . My engines are good and broke in on those numbers (2gallons)and all of them have showed those numbers also. Ill take video of thrust and rpm next time I fire one up.
Im also using a Fromeco and Glow Bee tach both are turning up the same numbers for the past couple years.

Now when you first break in you may be turning over 10,000 rpm but then the power gains kick in and I re-tune every couple tanks until the LSN stops richening up .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:58 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing78
Where can I find Xoar props.
Don't go to Texas hobbies . Thats a kid running that site and he just sub-orders them and someday you will recieve it . Ordered 3 14x4's and waited 2 weeks then called and he never got them shipped . Took another week then I got them . From Bills hobby store somewhere in Florida .

Get'em from swanny .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Last edited by MikeMcChiken; Jul 30, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
Registered User Wannabe
rodneygt's Avatar
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
Don't go to Texas hobbies . Thats a kid running that site and he just sub-orders them and someday you will recieve it . Ordered 3 14x4's and waited 2 weeks then called and he never got them shipped . Took another week then I got them . From Bills hobby store somewhere in Florida .

Get'em from swanny .
Obviously you had issues but mine came from Texas hobbies in Texas per the return address - and they came within about 1 week, maybe a week and 1/2.

Paul was out at the time, IIRC. I had looked at both places.

Mike, I know you from your posts and responses to me in the past - and frankly you've been more helpful to me than texas hobbies, I know you're a good guy - I'm just posting to say that I got good service from texas hobbies.

Rodney
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Last edited by rodneygt; Aug 19, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:09 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
Obviously you had issues but mine came from Texas hobbies in Texas per the return address - and they came within about 1 week, maybe a week and 1/2.

..Rodney
Glad you got good service . I tried them and then told my flying buddies about my issues and they shook there heads , laughed and said go to swanny next time cause they had stories to tell too . I haven't been into 3D stuff as long as them so I live and learn some . Cheifaircraft has them too . But their outa stock on a lot of them .

It's all good . To each their own . Thats why this country 'ROCKS' .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Composites Forum on RC Groups? TGoodwin Composites Fabrication 9 Oct 01, 2004 03:49 AM
PLEASE KILL ACTIVE X on RC Groups. windsurfer Site Chat 7 Apr 19, 2004 02:16 PM
Help! Large font on RC Groups! Lenny970 Site Chat 4 Mar 20, 2004 10:52 PM