SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Greg, the dimple on mine is on the side of the rod and faces the side of the case. It looks kind of like a casting flaw. I may take it off of the plane and disassemble it and get a picture of it.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Yes, I think so. It was a hard stop. And the failure was a couple of flights later.

Hopefully it will be good to go as soon as Horizon gets some rods in stock. Thanks for input.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:33 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
What is the proper fuel line size for a Saito 125? Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:40 AM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Gentlemen,

My father recently received an FA 170 R3 from his father as a gift. It's our first radial, any tips, tricks or insider info on how to make it purr? He's going to put it in his ESM P-47 in Glen Eagleston colors. From what I've read and researched, on board glow is nice, as is an exhaust collector ring. Any suggestions on which brands to go with? I can't find Keleo's website anywhere, do they just distribute? I found a few retailers who sell their p-51 exhaust, but not the 170's ring. Anyone think this will be too much motor? It actually weighs in at less than my Zenoah G26 (mag), which surprised me, it being a radial and all.
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,801 Posts
Here's Kelvins phone #

Kelvin 503-359-5318

A hacker destroyed his site.

I had his collector ring on my 90 triple and it was quality product both in material and sound.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:15 AM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
thanks I TOBOR, gotta love those hackers. Funny thing is the first thing I thought when I read that was that a Hacker brand electric motor destroyed it, irrational as that may seem. Do you have a preference on brand for on board glow systems? Does it even need one?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:30 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b7gwap View Post
Gentlemen,

My father recently received an FA 170 R3 from his father as a gift. It's our first radial, any tips, tricks or insider info on how to make it purr? He's going to put it in his ESM P-47 in Glen Eagleston colors. From what I've read and researched, on board glow is nice, as is an exhaust collector ring. Any suggestions on which brands to go with? I can't find Keleo's website anywhere, do they just distribute? I found a few retailers who sell their p-51 exhaust, but not the 170's ring. Anyone think this will be too much motor? It actually weighs in at less than my Zenoah G26 (mag), which surprised me, it being a radial and all.
Check out the August issue of AMA's Model Aviation . There is a ESM P-51 mustang from TroyBuiltModels that gets the Keleo Creations exhaust put on a Saito FA-1.25 . Looks real cool .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken View Post
Check out the August issue of AMA's Model Aviation . There is a ESM P-51 mustang from TroyBuiltModels that gets the Keleo Creations exhaust put on a Saito FA-1.25 . Looks real cool .
It sounds cool. I've seen a video of one on the tube. Sounds cool, but I'll bet it completely covers the plane with oil!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2004
278 Posts
Hi All

Question:
I have a Saito 180 in a cowled in, inverted install. (H-9 Taylorcraft)
About three gallons of fuel through it in various aircraft, all the while running on Cool Power 15%.
In this current install, it seems to be running on the hot side. I say "seems" because the only symptom is that it "feels" hotter to the touch than I'm used to. It doesn't display any other symptoms. Good compression, starts easily, does not sag or loose power in flight, and good idle and transition. I've leaned it in on the ground to peak and then backed off about 5-600 RPM. (more than I normally would due to the in-cowl install)

Soooo. my question is what is a good temp range to look for immediatly after a flight? I will have my temp gun at the field next time, and I plan to measure the temp as soon after I land as possible. Want to be prepared to know what temps would be in the trouble zone.
Thanks in advance,

Dennis
Rcflyer9 is online now Find More Posts by Rcflyer9
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:49 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,115 Posts
Quote:
It sounds cool. ..... Sounds cool, but I'll bet it completely covers the plane with oil!
Thats where gassers helps out .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,801 Posts
Quote:
thanks I TOBOR, gotta love those hackers. Funny thing is the first thing I thought when I read that was that a Hacker brand electric motor destroyed it, irrational as that may seem. Do you have a preference on brand for on board glow systems? Does it even need one?

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=308&page=1

I had this one on my .90 triple just to try it out and sold it because it was not needed. It worked perfectly though.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=308&page=1

I had this one on my .90 triple just to try it out and sold it because it was not needed. It worked perfectly though.
Good to know, thanks for the tip. How do you like your 90 R3? Is it as gutless as some claim? Would it pull a 60-size warbird?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken View Post
Thats where gassers helps out .
True enough! Although my Zenoah G26 is not exactly a clean burner.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyer9 View Post
Hi All

Question:
I have a Saito 180 in a cowled in, inverted install. (H-9 Taylorcraft)
About three gallons of fuel through it in various aircraft, all the while running on Cool Power 15%.
In this current install, it seems to be running on the hot side. I say "seems" because the only symptom is that it "feels" hotter to the touch than I'm used to. It doesn't display any other symptoms. Good compression, starts easily, does not sag or loose power in flight, and good idle and transition. I've leaned it in on the ground to peak and then backed off about 5-600 RPM. (more than I normally would due to the in-cowl install)

Soooo. my question is what is a good temp range to look for immediatly after a flight? I will have my temp gun at the field next time, and I plan to measure the temp as soon after I land as possible. Want to be prepared to know what temps would be in the trouble zone.
Thanks in advance,

Dennis
I had an FG-20 in this airplane and it ran quite hot as well. I think opening up some cooling exit might be in order. On mine I carefully cut out the cowl louvers on the sides with a dremel tool. A nice little cowl flap on the bottom would probably work even better.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Good to know, thanks for the tip. How do you like your 90 R3? Is it as gutless as some claim? Would it pull a 60-size warbird?
I sold the .90 triple also, it would turn a Bolly 13.5x6 at 8.300 on 15% WildCat and with the Keleo ring on it. I never did a before and after test with the stock pipes vs the Keleo.