HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:46 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for all the inputs. I ran the engine and the bearings seem just fine. It runs great and sounds good. I think the previous Owner just had the valves messed up. It does need the heli coil for sure as I think the plug finds different threads each pass and pretty soon there will be few left. I called Lee's shop and they will do the heli coil for $20 with the head removed; $35 if I send the complete engine. I think I'll just send the engine and then it will be done and done right.

I do use a little Castor in all my fuel for its high temp protection and corrosion protection.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:33 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post

I do use a little Castor in all my fuel for its high temp protection and corrosion protection.
All good, all good!

Never back off that castor philosiphy
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:58 PM
B72
Arthur,Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Is there a picture around that shows a modified 100 with the vent moved forward? I would like to do this to mine but want to make sure I am putting it in the correct spot up front.
B72 is offline Find More Posts by B72
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Should I get Clarance Lee to move the vent when he does the helicoil? I bet Saito moves it when they do their next update of this engine. On second thought it would probably be expensive as it would require taking the engine completely apart.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I have recently been running I 50-50 mix of Cool Power 30% Nitro Heli Fuel and Omega 15%.

The Club is kind of a heli club and gets a good price on the Heli Fuel. It has a higher oil content than the regular fuels and obviously more nitro. The Omega has 30% castor. So in the mix is probably about 22% nitro and 20% total oil of which 15% of the oil is castor or 3% castor which many say is in the ballpark for protecting the engine. I figure the extra total oil is good too. They are both pink so it looks good in the jug. I run it in my two strokes and my four strokes. They seem to "like" it and idle real well, start very easily, and have good transition, and my OS 46 FX has just a little more ummph as I can pull out of a hover with it whereas before I couldn't quite. I had too richen them up a click or so.

Plus, whenever I hit the throttle I get a wisp of a smoke trail. It almost looks like a mild smoke system. This is great with the Saito on approach cause I can't hear it at idle. So I just blip the throttle and check the smoke. Anyway, it may be madness, but I thought I would mention it.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:06 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
753 Posts
The 15% omega will work just fine. I have 3 100's that I have put quite a bit of time on and have never seen the need to move the vent. They flow losts of clean oil out of the exisiting vent and I always have plenty of oil in the rocker covers. Not sure what prop you have been using, but mine seen to like a APC 15-6 real well.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Jun 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Should I get Clarance Lee to move the vent when he does the helicoil? I bet Saito moves it when they do their next update of this engine. On second thought it would probably be expensive as it would require taking the engine completely apart.
I think you will find Mr. Lee perfectly capable of the relocation and very reasonable. If he is taking the engine apart for the helicoil job it ould be a perfect time .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:14 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Hey is this the "Club"? Couldn't we have a more organized forum for use Saito nuts?
It just seems like a long thread. Thanks!
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
saito fg 14b

Hello All,

Been looking for the right thread for this question, hope this is it.

I want to buy a saito fg14. The horizon hobby site states there is as fg14b, but on all sites in europe state just fg14. I am having a hard time getting an answer from horizon hobby if the 'B' is explicitly stated on the box and that all shops seem to have the old version. Does anyone know if there is a difference, what and where i can buy the īBī version?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Erwin
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:47 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
I have known Clarence Lee for quite a few years and can attest that his engine work as the best anywhere, but I am afraid that most of the work sent to his shop is being done by others as Mr. Lee has reached the age of 87. He was born in 1923. If he is in fact still doing the work personally I say GREAT and more power to him.
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:26 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
Hey is this the "Club"? Couldn't we have a more organized forum for use Saito nuts?
It just seems like a long thread. Thanks!
Go for it !!! I nominate you to organize/catagorize this thread. LOL
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:48 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I think that the FG-14b is the US release. This version has a lower profile Hall sensor so it can fit into a smaller cowling a bit easier. I don't think there are any other significant differences.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg96 View Post
I have known Clarence Lee for quite a few years and can attest that his engine work as the best anywhere, but I am afraid that most of the work sent to his shop is being done by others as Mr. Lee has reached the age of 87. He was born in 1923. If he is in fact still doing the work personally I say GREAT and more power to him.
Well, I am sure whoever is doing it can probably do a helicoil job fine, and the rates are astounding low. Hopefully the engine is about out to California by now. I have a plane ready and waiting for it!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:09 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Hopefully my Fa30 open rocker will be here tomorrow. I've been waiting for what seems like forever and I can't wait to see and run it. I'll post pics asap.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:40 AM
Joined Sep 2004
97 Posts
Thanks for the information on the fg14b. Will get one tomorrow ;-)
reinhoud is offline Find More Posts by reinhoud