HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2010, 04:50 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I have flown a lot.
I just figured out that I had a bad glow plug in the ingine. The one that came installed did not work. What a waste of time. The engine is running at 3800 rps in the garage right now!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2010, 05:18 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Ok, she is broken in. Now what do I do to make sure all of the fuel is out for storage.
I guess I should ask this too. My prop is very well balanced but the engine shakes quite a bit at all throttle settings. Is this normal? I did notice that there is a little slop in the prop hole (maybe a millimeter) so it would be impossible to get it perfectly balanced on the prop. Any advice here or is this all normal. Sorry for all of the questions... thanks for your help. I will be done with questions probably very very soon now that I have her broken in.
Last edited by ty_horn; May 20, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 06:39 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Ok, she is broken in. Now what do I do to make sure all of the fuel is out for storage.
I guess I should ask this too. My prop is very well balanced but the engine shakes quite a bit at all throttle settings. Is this normal? I did notice that there is a little slop in the prop hole (maybe a millimeter) so it would be impossible to get it perfectly balanced on the prop. Any advice here or is this all normal. Sorry for all of the questions... thanks for your help. I will be done with questions probably very very soon now that I have her broken in.
Shouldn't be slop in the prop shaft . You probly used a drill vs. a prop reamer.
If this is the case get a prop reamer . It is going to shake like a Harley . Depending what airframe it is on and how well it aborbs the vibration will determine what kind of shake , rattle and rolling you get . On my profile it transmits a buzz through the whole airframe . They also make vibration dampening engine mounts to if it really bothers you . I used angle aluminum on a profile to help dampen it .

When your breaking it in its should be running real rich and that will make her vibrate a little more too .

I also used a solid home made billit mount on my Edge540t and a Saito115 . I used some rubber in between the firewall and mount too . It cut down the vibes a little .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Last edited by MikeMcChiken; May 20, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:18 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thanks for the advice and pics!
I didn't ream out the prop at all. I do have a reamer but this prop already fit the shaft.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:50 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
715 Posts
Sorry, you meant you were a new guy to 4 strokes. Right on.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old May 23, 2010, 09:43 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I just purchased an Fa72. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I have an Fa56 in my old H-9 Cub and it runs perfect. I will be installing this one in a Cub but don't know which one yet. One is my H-9 PnP Cub and the other is a World Models clipped wing Cub 48.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old May 24, 2010, 06:16 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Ok, she is broken in.
Now what do I do to make sure all of the fuel is out for storage.Get it up to temp...rev it and pinch off the fuel...when it stope she is clean and dry

My prop is very well balanced but the engine shakes quite a bit at all throttle settings. Is this normal? Not really, unless you have it super rich still. On occasion a motor that "shakes" is found but in general they are quite smooth running engines once tuned.

I did notice that there is a little slop in the prop hole (maybe a millimeter) so it would be impossible to get it perfectly balanced on the prop. Any advice here or is this all normal. Well thats nothing but bad by your own admissions.

Sorry for all of the questions... thanks for your help. I will be done with questions probably very very soon now that I have her broken in.No problem

....AND everything that Mike said
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 24, 2010, 06:18 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluemaster View Post
I just purchased an Fa72. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I have an Fa56................
No sir.

It should run just like your 56
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 24, 2010, 07:21 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Cool. I can't wait to get it installed and get it running. What prop would be best on a Cub? I still haven't decided which Cub to install it on though. I'm running a Zinger 12x6 wood prop on my 56.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluemaster View Post
Cool. I can't wait to get it installed and get it running. What prop would be best on a Cub? I still haven't decided which Cub to install it on though. I'm running a Zinger 12x6 wood prop on my 56.
I ran a 12x8 on my fa-82a . It was on a Eagle62 then . When I put the motor on my Ultrastick 40 I used a 13x6 . The 72 and 82 are pretty much the same motor . I actually like the 72 more . I think it tachs out better . I think 13x6 or 13x8 would be a good choice . Don't go below 12x8 though . Might over tach motor . That motor will turn 14" props too it will just be a little slower on spool up .

How heavy is the Cub its going on ?
Old May 24, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
If I put it on my clipped wing Cub 5.5 pounds, if I put it on my H-9 Cub 6.5 to 7 pounds.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:05 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,104 Posts
Got my .82 apart now . I pulled the exhaust valve out to look at it and it looks like crap . It still has a small shiney area where it seats . Was wondering how I could clean the crap off of it ? The intake feels a little sticky and I would like to clean it good too . Any suggestions ?
Old May 28, 2010, 04:54 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
I fired up my 72 that I bought used the other day and all I can say is wow. This thing runs great. It has a nice low idle. When I got it I took it apart to look inside and there was no rust and it didn't look like there was any burnt caster in the exhaust port so I don't think it has seen much run time. I don't know how old this engine is. Is there any way to tell? It has an "F" stamped on the right mounting lug and it has the long brushed aluminum looking silencer.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
Mike McChicken...

If the valves have a nice shiny area for seating, try cleaning them in a way that won't damage the sealing surface. Start by soaking them in fuel overnight and cleaning with a toothbrush. If you have some carburetor soak de-carbonizing solvent, you can try that. I'd keep the aluminum parts out of the carb soak because it might discolor them, but it'd be great for steel parts. Oven cleaner will break up carbon but it will definitely do a number on the aluminum parts (case, cylinder, & muffler).

Dan
old_dan is offline Find More Posts by old_dan
Old May 29, 2010, 08:38 AM
USA, MA, Boston
Joined May 2010
17 Posts
Saito FA-80t

Hi Guys looking for any info on these .. A manual prop sizes anything LOL.. Just bought ine that has no instructions and hasn't been run yet...Thanks Carl
Cmarch is offline Find More Posts by Cmarch