HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2009, 05:09 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Not everyone has an ear for tuning . The difference between 9k and 9800 rpms is not always obvious by ear . The thing with a Saito is after you peak it you back off the peak a couple hundred RPM's to insure it's not lean . Those of us used to 4-bangers can get by without one but for a newby it's a good tool to use . My tach has been broke for 6 months . So I haven't used one lately either . But I do want to get a new one . I got my first gasser and I really don't have an ear for them yet .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2009, 06:49 PM
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Aug 2008
92 Posts
i am using a 13x8 prop. 30% nitro heli fuel. two or three clicks more than two turns out. just inside flush on low speed idle arm. i have ran 30 oz of fuel on bench and about ten to twelve in the plane. my lhs dealer recomended the 30% heli fuel. he said it was the same as airplane fuel but has more oil for lubing.
greg harrison is offline Find More Posts by greg harrison
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Jul 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
36 Posts
30% is way to much. I run all my Saitos and for that matter all of my 4 cycle engines on 10% nitro. Only exception is the little 20 and 26 and the YS's. They like higher nitro and I use 20% for them. Actually YS20/20.

Any more than 15% is a waste of money. I can see why you lhs says use 30%. His profit margin is greatly increased.
winder35 is offline Find More Posts by winder35
Old Jul 10, 2009, 05:35 AM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Greg , If you got the cash , 30% heli is fine for the 82 . I run 20/20 powermaster (all synthetic)and thats good enough for me . You wana make sure you run it more rich than lean with that heli fuel though cause there isn't any castor in it . Synthetic oil will burn off at a lower temp than a synthetic/castor mix . I used to run 25% wildcat heli in my 82 . Then I got cheap and went with 15% wildcat and started having problems with both 2 and 4 stroke motors . Since I started with the 20/20 I think I will stick with that .
No War intended for you wildcat or castor users . PM syn. is just my preference now .
Hows your transition on the throttle . If you idle for a couple minutes and hammer the throttle does it bog down a little before tach'in out ?
Last edited by MikeMcChiken; Jul 10, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:07 AM
Joined Nov 2008
59 Posts
I also use 30% heli in my 82. It's perfectly fine. It has about 22% oil if I remember correctly. After a full flight I'm able to keep my hand on the valve covers so heat is not a problem. The only thing I didn't do was break it in on the 30. I used a full gallon of the YS20/20 on the stand, then once in the plane, I was very gentle on it until I burned another full gallon of the 30%. Then I leaned it out a tick and it has run like a top. I think right now I've got about 4 gallons on it including break in.

30% nitro is where it's at...
mahak213 is offline Find More Posts by mahak213
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:09 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,730 Posts
Since 1991 I've run nothing but WildCat 10 and 15% Premium Extra/18% 80/20 blend but recently picked up 4 gallons of the WildCat 15% 2/4 with 18% all synthetic. So far, I like it. If you re-adjust the needles slightly any Saito will run just about the same on 5% nitro. My plug choice is always a Fox Miracle plug. Last summer I used 6 gallons of PowerMaster 15% with the same 18% 80/20 blend as the WC and also recommend it as a great fuel.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:14 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Tom Crump and Winder35 , I very much appreciate your help about the 270 engine . I just want you guys to know im not looking to skimp on the airframe for this project , im just trying to keep it to a managable size as to get it to the airfield on a somewhat regular basis . i guess what im worried about is making something so large as to be a complete pain to transport and then it wont get used much . Thats why the thought of a third scale is a bit intimidating . Thank God money isnt a problem so i can choose pretty much any airframe that looks suitable , I just am worried about ending up with my own Spruce Goose - you know pretty , expensive , and never flown Im off to look at airframes now . Happy Flying

I understand that size can be a problem.

When considering your model, take a detailed look at field assembly time. My Stinson takes a half hour, and doesn't fly much.

I just remembered thiis company. http://www.airflair.com/

I had a 300 in their Prime Stick and PC 300. Neither are overly large, and both flew extremely well. The builds on both are not complicated. You may like them.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Jul 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2009, 01:54 AM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Anybody have any cool vids of there Saito powered toys ??
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:22 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Tom Crump you just found me my airframe !!!! That Prime Stick looks like the perfect , simple ,large enough airframe for flying my 270 . I figure ive got plenty of time to do a scale airplane after i fly something like this as my first large bird . So far im flying 40 to 60 glow powered planes and lots of electrics up to a power 46 size but nothing yet IMAA legal . And best of all theres NO COWL on this one so ill get to see the twin in all its glory . Thank You and Happy Flying Edit added : I talked to Don at Air Flair international and ordered a kit so now i guess ive got to open a build thread and learn how to post photos
Glad that I could help ! Once you build this one, you may get addicted to the Air Flair line up. I know that I did. I still have their Prime Sport.

Please post a link here, when you start your build thread.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,583 Posts
Here ya go Mike.

Senior tele, Saito 91, Graupner 3-blade 15x7-12, solid 1500 idle and operated below 4K rpm.

#1 son on the sticks. Turn the volume up so you can hear him work then throttle

Figure 8's at Twilite (0 min 33 sec)

A low and slow Knifedge..........
Telemastyer craziness (0 min 14 sec)

One wheel work.....
Telemaster Craziness (0 min 16 sec)
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Last edited by Dad_Roman; Jul 12, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:45 AM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Kinda hard to see , it must be getting dark . Can hear the motor workin though . I tried to post one on youtube but it came out all garbled and hessitates . Don't understand why .
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:44 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,583 Posts
Yea it was gettin VERY dark. Thats why he was in so close.

Didnt expect it so it was one of those "man I gotta get a vid" moments. Ya whip out the cell phone and thats what ya get. Crappy vid but I managed to capture the moment...lol

He was flyin in about a 30x60 box, I figure we coulda been in a gymnasium
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:54 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
..... My plug choice is always a Fox Miracle plug. Last summer I used 6 gallons of PowerMaster 15% with the same 18% 80/20 blend as the WC and also recommend it as a great fuel.
I was really thinkin of trying out one of those miracle plugs . When I was first in this hobby in the 80's all good plugs had idle bars in them but now the 4-banger plugs don't have it . Does it make a big difference in how it idles ? Maybe thats why you can get away with the lower nitro .