HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:22 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Edit: Oh,...and dont add castor to Omega. It has castor in it already and when you add oil(s) you are automatically leaning your mixture. Its ok to run this gallon out since your tuning off of it from the beginning.
Good point! I was doing it for the break in to get the oil up near 20% but it is good to keep in mind for sure since I ran a tank of this fuel in my already tuned 2 stroke too.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,732 Posts
U, you may find this interesting but when I got my first fourstrokes, an Enya .46MKII, a few months later a Saito 1.50 from my daughter for Christmas 1991, followed shortly by a Saito .80, I ran all three of them on Fox 15% fuel with 20% castor for two seasons. Other than uglyfying the mufflers absolutely no harm came to them, no caked up valves, no varnished pistons, nada.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
U, you may find this interesting ...... a few months later a Saito 1.50 from my daughter for Christmas
I find THAT concept interesting ... a possible path to another Saito!

I like the idea of using some Castor and some Synthetic. Since they apparently mix well, it seems like you are getting the best of both worlds: the advantages on synthetics plus the high temperature and corrosion protection offered by the Castor. I don't mind the mess or the brown stains much.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:09 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Just fyi, I've been mixing a bottle of 15% omega with a bottle of 15% cool power. My thought was to leave a little castor for my two strokes and not have too much in the four strokes - probably silly - but it is what I've been doing.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,732 Posts
The WIldCat I use and the 6 gallons of PowerMaster I used last summer both have 18% 80/20 syn castor blend, it seems to be a great combination. I use WildCat Premium 10% in my RCVs which has 16% 80/20 blend and works well in Saitos also but I've never been brave enough to completely switch to the 16%.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:46 AM
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Aug 2008
92 Posts
if i put an on board glow ignition on my engine do i swith it off after it warms up or can i leave it on in flite?
greg harrison is offline Find More Posts by greg harrison
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:14 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Just fyi, I've been mixing a bottle of 15% omega with a bottle of 15% cool power. My thought was to leave a little castor for my two strokes and not have too much in the four strokes - probably silly - but it is what I've been doing.
That seems like a pretty good idea. Still leaves 15% Castor for protection, but probably makes a little less mess. I have to admit I like the pink color of Omega better than the green. I suppose this is sort of a dirty pink color mixed, huh.

On the other hand, I don't think the 30% Castor in Omega is a problem for 4 strokes. The Saito manual actually mentions Omega by name as one of the recommended fuels.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:45 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg harrison
if i put an on board glow ignition on my engine do i swith it off after it warms up or can i leave it on in flite?
with a propper tuned engine you shouldnt need it after throttle is advanced from idle.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:53 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
The WIldCat I use and the 6 gallons of PowerMaster I used last summer both have 18% 80/20 syn castor blend, it seems to be a great combination. I use WildCat Premium 10% in my RCVs which has 16% 80/20 blend and works well in Saitos also but I've never been brave enough to completely switch to the 16%.
I wish you could give some numbers of an .82a running 15% Wildcat . I have some 30% Wildcat but its not up to par with the other stuff I'm running .
Even the other 15% performs better . Maybe a bad jug? Idles and smells good though , transitions OOOOOOOOOKKK but not spectacular.
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:15 PM
What smoke?
SoCal
Joined Feb 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
The on board glow I use turns on for 15sec That's all the is needed to start it.
Lostlad is offline Find More Posts by Lostlad
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:21 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
For example, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRYK2&P=ML :

Quote:
FEATURES: Automatice operation: ignites plug below a user-settable position
Quick and easy one-button set point programming
Ignition set point is permanently stored in memory until changed
Push button override ignites plug regardless of throttle
Green LED light indicates burned out plugs, bad connections, or
dead battery by flashing on the panel
Does not require a Y-harness
Plugs right into the receiver, throttle servo and to any 1.2V
to 12V battery
In other words, if you set it up correctly, it only cuts on at low rpm settings.

I had an inverted 100 in a warbird and didn't use one - just warmed it up and it did fine.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:28 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
FWIW, I got my new "damaged box" 82 in today from horizon. The box only had one corner of the box pushed in a bit - very very light box damage and no where near the engine. Sweet deal at $195!! The current $229 for undamaged boxed ones is still good too.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:29 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I started to lean up my Saito. I turned the low speed in 1/2 turn. Then when I checked the high speed it had suddenly gone from rich to quite lean and the RPM was over 10,000. I had to richen it up quite a bit to get back to the rich side of lean. I guess the low speed was putting in so much fuel it made it rich on high too. Does that make sense.

I flew a tank like that (tank 6) and turned the low speed in 1/4 turn more and the high speed a tad richer still. When I pinch the fuel line at low speed it still speeds up a little so it may still be a little rich on low. Transition is still fine. RPM is around 9700 or so at full throttle. I flew a tank (tank 7) like this.

It is fairly sensitive to the HS needle now. I think I am going to have to shut it off and go one click at a time. I can't tell what I am doing when it is running because there is a fair amount of buzz on this slab profile.

I think the leak on the muffler pipe is a little less. Probably the castor oil is sealing it. The muffler is completely brown now.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Quote:
I heard you should never have a glow ignitor on in flight or go to full throttle with it on . It can damage the Saito . It causes pre-ignition . There are on-board glow ignitors that shut off when you increase throttle and come back on when you go back to idle . That would work okay . I think glow-bee has one . The small ads in the magazines generaly show some too . You could just get an extension and still use a regular ignitor . I did that on my Edge cause the motor is inverted .

Ubuilder , I have seen this happen too . After I make an adjustment to one I always check the other . Sometime I make an adjustment and it changes the other but most the time it doesn't .
Yick!!!! Castor
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Last edited by MikeMcChiken; Sep 22, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:12 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
This is a good onboard glow system: http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-103/index.shtml

At $39.95, the price is right, too.

The shut off point is adjustable, allowing it to operate only at lower RPMs.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump