HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
"no performance increase" at least thats what the mfg claims. but there is a bit of weight savings.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,729 Posts
Correct, on nearly all Saitos except the 1.25 and 1.15 there is about a 240 rpm increase in top rpm. For some reason the 1.25 and 1.15 do not respond. The 1.15 has its own muffler and the 1.25 has an absolutely huge muffler compared to the others.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:15 PM
Joined May 2007
1,120 Posts
I still cant get over how light the 115 is , and it spins a 16/4 with no problem. my vert climb outs were fast and hover,harrier is effortless.
what are the typical needle setting when tuned ?
mine is running about 2 1/3 turns.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:38 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,729 Posts
Bossman, that is something I just don't keep track of, having 25 plus Saitos, some with two carbs that would be a nightmare.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:21 PM
What smoke?
SoCal
Joined Feb 2008
279 Posts
Just thought I would show off my two Saito powered planes. Both planes have Saito 82a's running Cool Power 30% heli fuel. As you can see on the J3 Cub I have placed an Align BEC & Glow driver, love that I don't have to fight to get the glow driver under the plane to start it anymore, thinking about placing one on the Toledo Special also.

I love these motors they run excellent, never miss a beat, and sound great!

Lostlad
Lostlad is offline Find More Posts by Lostlad
Old Sep 20, 2009, 06:11 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Well, I am joining the Saito club after flying only 2 strokers. I just bought an 82 to put on my 40 size Primo slab in place of the OS 55AX which has been a fine engine. I guess I just had to find out what all the fuss is about.
Well, I broke in the Saito today according to I TOBOR's tuning tips. It positively ate the fuel. I barely made the 10 minute intervals on an 11 oz tank of fuel even at those low RPM's.

For the 4 tank, I leaned it out a little, probably still about six clicks on the rich side so it was still sloberinly rich, and I went flying. I was running Omega 15% nitro with a 4 oz bottle of Castor oil thrown into the gallon for good measure.

Now I know what the fuss is about. Turning a 14 x 4W in place of the 12.25 x 3.75 I had on the OX 55 AX absolutely transformed the plane. Harriers were unbelievable with the plane putt putting through the sky at almost no throttle with thick puffs of smoke spurting out like in a cartoon. Just amazing. I could have hovered all day long at low throttle, and stopped only because I figured I was still in break in mode. Not that the motor seemed to be working at all. It did suck down a LOT of fuel though, much more than I am used to with the AX. I hope leaning it out makes a big difference, though I must say the smoke was almost worth the fuel use. It was almost like I had a smoke system and I loved it.

I flew another tank, so now its had about 50 oz through it. Is it time to use the tach and lean it to 300 rpm less than peak, or should I run it more like this?
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Joined May 2007
1,120 Posts
saito break down, today on 3 flight of the second day my engine started making a humming noise so I did a low slow flyby and sure enough it sounds like a bearing, and after landing it wouldnt idle. removed glow plug and turn engine -no noise, put plug back in and start and its humming again. looks like its headded for saito-service. this engine has less than 1.5 gallons of rich set needle with powermaster 15%. bummer
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:03 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder

I flew another tank, so now its had about 50 oz through it. Is it time to use the tach and lean it to 300 rpm less than peak, or should I run it more like this?
Welcome to the world of 4 strokes

Just because you run a few tanks doesnt mean its time to tweak it to the max. Its time to start leaning it out some so she will run better. Not so slobby rich but rich none the less.

ITobor will chime in in a bit. Not sure when he says to tune to max RPM but whatever he says you need to go with it

....and yes, the MPG should get MUCH better.

Edit: Oh,...and dont add castor to Omega. It has castor in it already and when you add oil(s) you are automatically leaning your mixture. Its ok to run this gallon out since your tuning off of it from the beginning.

Now CoolPower (Cruelpower) .....thats different
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Last edited by Dad_Roman; Sep 20, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc
saito break down, today on 3 flight of the second day my engine started making a humming noise so I did a low slow flyby and sure enough it sounds like a bearing, and after landing it wouldnt idle. removed glow plug and turn engine -no noise, put plug back in and start and its humming again. looks like its headded for saito-service. this engine has less than 1.5 gallons of rich set needle with powermaster 15%. bummer
Doesnt sound right. The "symptoms" dont seem to fit the prognosis.

No noise...
less than 1.5 gal....
powermaster....
wont idle....

All these do not tell me "bearings". A bad bearing usually sounds like sand grinding or "cackling" and you can definantly "feel" it when its to that point.

I cant figure out the "humming" either. Loose back plate???

A bad tune might cause a "weird" noise and vibration enough to cause a humming and would also affect idle.

I have all older Saitos and have never had a bearing problem.

Think Ill wait for ITobor to weigh in on this one to
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,729 Posts
I run the engine rich for the first 30 minutes then peak it to set the LS needle, so it is only running at peak while peaking it. Then lean LS needle 1/8th turn at a time testing the transition and peak after every other change. When satisfied with the idle and transition finish the break in by richening peak down 300 rpm and run a 7,000 for the final 10 minutes. Saito says its ready to fly in 40 minutes. Never messed one up yet.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,729 Posts
Well Dad, I have two Saitos that are approaching 18 years old and untold hours and have never lost a bearing, I think most peoples bad bearings are more imagined than real.
PowerMaster is great fuel, right up there with WildCat in my book.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:41 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlad
Just thought I would show off my two Saito powered planes. Both planes have Saito 82a's running Cool Power 30% heli fuel. As you can see on the J3 Cub I have placed an Align BEC & Glow driver, love that I don't have to fight to get the glow driver under the plane to start it anymore, thinking about placing one on the Toledo Special also.

I love these motors they run excellent, never miss a beat, and sound great!

Lostlad
Lostlad, How do you like the .82 on your Toledo? I was thinking of going with a .62 for mine, it is a .46 size sport plane. Would you recommend the .82, & do you think the .62 would be too weak?
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2007
1,120 Posts
it doesnt sound good at all , already packed up and ready for shipment. this engine ran great was a bit rich and ate fuel like crazy. today I closed needle about 3 - 4 clicks and thats when something started screaching/humming sound and then engine wouldnt idle. all the saito guys at the field were amazed and said lots of things but the best advise was to send it in !
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:06 AM
Sleep, Fly, Eat, Fly, Build
USA, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Jun 2009
275 Posts
I am thinking about buying a Saito Fg-20 for the Hangar 9 P-51 blue nose I ordered. Does anyone have any feedback on this engine. Is there a thread on here for the FG-20? Where is the best place and price to buy one? Thank you!
viperjody is offline Find More Posts by viperjody
Old Sep 21, 2009, 01:44 AM
What smoke?
SoCal
Joined Feb 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
Lostlad, How do you like the .82 on your Toledo? I was thinking of going with a .62 for mine, it is a .46 size sport plane. Would you recommend the .82, & do you think the .62 would be too weak?
I Love it with a .82, lots of power, almost never have to go to full stick, can fly around all day at 1/2thro. I don't think a .62 would be too weak, it's not really that heavy of a plane for it's size, and the air frame is clean not a lot of drag.

I was messing with props on it one day and placed a 14x6 pro zinger on it, wow it really woke the motor and air frame up. There was a Lance-air plane built for speed with a OS .60 and tuned pipe flying around, I passed it every time he did a speed run. A lot guys at the field were really impressed with the speed of this plane with that .82 saito. After that day I went back to the evo prop as I really like the look of a black prop better then the wood one.

Lostlad
Lostlad is offline Find More Posts by Lostlad
Last edited by Lostlad; Sep 21, 2009 at 12:52 PM.