Joined Mar 2006
120 Posts
I'm in with a 50,56 and 72.
punkin438 is offline Find More Posts by punkin438
Old Jul 06, 2009, 09:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
36 Posts
I have a FS30 open rocker, 2 FA40's, 3 FA45's two have bolt on heads, 2 FA50's, two FA56's, FA65, FA80, 3 FA80T twins, FA90T twin, 2 FA91's, 2 FA120's. Tons of parts for others.
winder35 is offline Find More Posts by winder35
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Jul 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:49 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
I'm in.

Perhaps we can also include a list of mufflers and adapters that will work with the Saitos to keep our planes scale looking?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:22 AM
B72
Arthur,Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
143 Posts
Always up for new info. 82,100,100GK,115GK
B72 is offline Find More Posts by B72
Old Jul 07, 2009, 07:48 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,583 Posts
James L

I use aluminum mounts on all my 4 strokes. I feel that since 4 strokes have so many moving parts, the motors would move around too much, producing the problem that you described.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 07, 2009, 07:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Hello guys , today i bought a great condition used saito FA-270 T from a friend of mine and unfortunatly he lost the manual some time ago . Can anyone point me to where i could get info/specs. about this engine ? This is my first saito engine and im really looking forward to flying with it . To someone who usually flys 40 to 60 powered planes it sure looks huge ! Thank you and happy flying
I'm sure that you will enjoy your twin.

If you don't find your requested information, look on Horozon's site for the 300 twins manual. The starting and maintanence info should be similar to yours.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:46 AM
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
After many years of cheep engines I just bought my first Saito 115 for use on a Top Flight P-51. Can anyone offer practicle suggestions for break in? Seems like a lot of variation for break in process. Some short, some long, some just strange. What do you guys do for a break in process?
carlcorn is offline Find More Posts by carlcorn
Old Jul 07, 2009, 09:26 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,583 Posts
My Saitos have taken a long time to reach their full potential. Take your time.

For the first tank (12 oz) I run the motor rich for 5 minutes, stop the motor, and let it cool. I vary the RpMs. After the first tank, while still running rich, I lengthen the time period that I run at full throttle, but still vary the RPMs. At this point, I still run the motor for just 5 minutes, letting it cool between sessions.

On the 3rd tank, I start to lean out the top end, and run the motor at higher RPMs for longer durations.

After that, it's time to fly, assuming that your transitions are good. Keep the motor running with some smoke coming from the muffler, but it should be flyable.

My Saito 50 was into it's 2nd gal of fuel before I felt that it was fully at it's potential.

This is open to debate, but I always make sure that my fuel contains some castor for lubrication.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:07 AM
Joined Oct 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Hello guys , today i bought a great condition used saito FA-270 T from a friend of mine and unfortunatly he lost the manual some time ago . Can anyone point me to where i could get info/specs. about this engine ? This is my first saito engine and im really looking forward to flying with it . To someone who usually flys 40 to 60 powered planes it sure looks huge ! Thank you and happy flying
There is someone who maintains a website dedicated to Saito information. I don't think you'll find a manual there, but you can find a lot of general information on Saito's and maybe some stuff specific to your engine. In case you have not visited it before, here's a link to it....http://saito-engines.info/index.html. If you still can't find what you need, there is a link to email the person who maintains that website in the first paragraph of its homepage.

James L.
James L. is offline Find More Posts by James L.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:24 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
Okay, I have a .91s. Count me in.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
James L

I use aluminum mounts on all my 4 strokes. I feel that since 4 strokes have so many moving parts, the motors would move around too much, producing the problem that you described.
Thanks for the reply, Tom.

Is anybody using glass filled nylon engine mounts for their Saito's? I've looked at some of them, and I've wondered how well the included sheet metal screws perform in keeping the engine tight to the mount. Has anybody encountered problems with them loosening out of the glass filled nylon, which is basically reinforced plastic? Does anybody ever forgo the use of the sheet metal screws and modify the beams with through holes so a standard machine screw and locknut can be used to secure the engine to the mount?

I still haven't purchased an engine mount, yet, for my 100 as I'm not sure what would be the best type--1) rigid aluminum, 2) flexible/vibration reducing, or 3) glass filled nylon. I am hoping to benefit from some of the collective experience here in deciding which type to get. Does anybody have any war stories about engine mount problems which influenced them to switch to a different type engine mount? It would be great to see some more comments on which type of engine mount is prefered by Saito users and why.

James L.
James L. is offline Find More Posts by James L.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Jul 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 07, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
I have no problems with "The other group" but I'll look in on this one as well.

jess
Jessiej is offline Find More Posts by Jessiej