HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:51 PM
Phalaborwa - South Africa
Joined Aug 2008
47 Posts
Bought a Sukhoi with Saito FA180 in the nose but im a newbie to 4-stroke r/c engines (was flying 2-stroke) and would like some advice and help.

Firstly how do u start a 4-stroke, do u also use a starter or are there a different way.
Im not too sure if the motor has fly or not so im rather gone break it in. HOW ???
What would be the ideal prop size for this motor and what flying time can i expect to get, im used to about 20min on my ST .51 but im sure i wont be getting that now anymore.

Are there any special tricks or procedures i should know of with this motor.

Im really in the dark here and basicly any info would be appreciated. But im looking forward to put this motor to great use and now im also a Saito club member

Thanx in advance
heatwave150 is offline Find More Posts by heatwave150
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:33 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Hey the 180 is a great motor ! No Sign of it ever being run ? Like any stains from castor or anything ?
What Kind of flying are you doing . If 3D I use a 18x6W which you will get around 8700-9000 rpm on with 15% and 9200-9400 on 30% . Around 12 min flight times on a 550cc tank ,8 tanks per gallon of fuel .
Flight time depends on the plane and what kind of flying your doing . 3D seems to conserve a good bit .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:16 PM
Phalaborwa - South Africa
Joined Aug 2008
47 Posts
Havent had a close look at the motor but it looked pretty clean and neat, and as far as the history goes about the plane it has only done a maiden or so. So i would rather not go on that and rather do a break in myself, got nothing to loose except fuel.
Well i dont think im gonna jump straight into 3D with it but thats probably where im gona end up with it.
Also i understand from what i was reading that u shouldnt use castor but rather synthetic oil in ur fuel, is that true ?
heatwave150 is offline Find More Posts by heatwave150
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:03 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
It's for real. I just ordered one for $195 - they have 82s with scuffed boxes for $195. I also ordered a velocity stack for the .82 Golden Knight parts list (about $7). Free shipping too. I already have the GK version and like the addition of the velocity stack.

I had seen pics of the 82 replacement awhile back - at least the gasoline version (that's right, gasoline). The casing is more like a 1.25 IIRC and it has an aluminum back plate.
Yeh I got a V. Stack for my 82 and never used it . Finally put it on my 115 .

I got a happy shiny feeling . Gas....Saito....82..... Yeh Baby !!!! If you have any specs or reviews on that post the link . Weight and hp is the important stuff . That would kick some serious A?@ on a .40 size slab .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:15 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfireman
Here are some pictures of my carb and the replacement part.
I tried to get mine out and didn't want to force it on a Saito82 . I had all new seals and didn't know if one was on the inner needle assem. . I was thinking that the fuel zert might keep it from backing out but yours looks like it is on the assembly . Mine is on the carb body . Brass in aluminum leads me to believe some loctite might have been used when it was assembled .

Itober should be able to help you . He has more Saito's then all of us put together .
Old Sep 16, 2009, 05:13 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
. . . Gas....Saito....82..... If you have any specs or reviews on that post the link . Weight and hp is the important stuff . . .
Mike, here's a google translation from the Japanese Saito site: http://translate.google.com/translat...ate.google.com

They call it the FG-14. You will have extra weight from the ignition and ignition batt.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:16 AM
Alan
USA, NC, Dudley
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
saito 120 carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
I tried to get mine out and didn't want to force it on a Saito82 . I had all new seals and didn't know if one was on the inner needle assem. . I was thinking that the fuel zert might keep it from backing out but yours looks like it is on the assembly . Mine is on the carb body . Brass in aluminum leads me to believe some loctite might have been used when it was assembled .

Itober should be able to help you . He has more Saito's then all of us put together .
Well, I got it out. There is a nut on the outside. I took it off and posted a picture without the nut. Today I heated the carb thinking it was locktited in. Well come to find out there are no threads in the alluminium carb. You stick in the spray bar and put the nut back on the outside. So I have that part back together. Now I need help on re-assembling the whole carb. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alan
bgfireman is offline Find More Posts by bgfireman
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:38 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Well, I am joining the Saito club after flying only 2 strokers. I just bought an 82 to put on my 40 size Primo slab in place of the OS 55AX which has been a fine engine. I guess I just had to find out what all the fuss is about. I hope it fits without undue modification. Did someone say you can reverse the carb? My throttle linkage is currently on the bottom. My 55 (same as 46) screws into a cut out in the side of my Slab. Is the Saito going to require a larger or smaller cut out. What surgery should I expect?
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,551 Posts
The carb can easily be turned 180 degrees and the lever easily pointed upward.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:54 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Well, I am joining the Saito club after flying only 2 strokers. I just bought an 82 to put on my 40 size Primo slab in place of the OS 55AX which has been a fine engine. I guess I just had to find out what all the fuss is about. I hope it fits without undue modification. Did someone say you can reverse the carb? My throttle linkage is currently on the bottom. My 55 (same as 46) screws into a cut out in the side of my Slab. Is the Saito going to require a larger or smaller cut out. What surgery should I expect?
Hey u2builder , welcome to the wonderful "World of Saito" . I have my carb rotated on my mojo 40 . I have flown about 2 cans of nitro through it and found the shaking really works the plywood motormount . I am in the process of installing some angle aluminum to mount on the side the nuts for the motor goes . They always come loose cause the woods constantly relaxing . Everyone on probro says this is a great fix . Run a tube for the crankcase vent down the landing gear or you'll soak your wing after 3 flights . Your gana love its torque .

Will try to post some pics tonite.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Thanks Mike. I look forward to some pictures. Your Mojo and my Primo are probably pretty similar. How thick is the aluminum angle? Do you also have Swany's thrust offset shims?

How does the Saito 82 stack up for size. Does it need a bigger cut out or a smaller one?

I am using some plastic/rubber clamp mount that came came on a Nexstar trainer OS 46 FXi I got on Ebay. Did I see somewhere that you don't like the clamp mount. So far I've got about 10 hours on the Primo and it seems OK.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Sep 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
United States, TX, Palestine
Joined Dec 2007
163 Posts
FA 80
Northeast Aerodynamics Bel-Air
flight ready..all for 250

Just needed some TLC
MaverickP-51D is offline Find More Posts by MaverickP-51D
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Thanks Mike. I look forward to some pictures. Your Mojo and my Primo are probably pretty similar. How thick is the aluminum angle? Do you also have Swany's thrust offset shims?

How does the Saito 82 stack up for size. Does it need a bigger cut out or a smaller one?

I am using some plastic/rubber clamp mount that came came on a Nexstar trainer OS 46 FXi I got on Ebay. Did I see somewhere that you don't like the clamp mount. So far I've got about 10 hours on the Primo and it seems OK.
Alum. is 1/16 thick and I have Swanny's shims in too . The 82 fits right in with no mods . Not quite sure what that clamp down rubber thing is . The mount I hate is the clamp down aluminum mount .

The vibration of the 4-banger is much greater than a 2 stroke . You'll know what I mean when you rev'er up in a slab . Some guys put epoxy or silicon behind the aluminum .

I picked up an old Radical by Lanier that is in pretty cherry condition . I have another 82 in a box but I also have a .46ax I don't even use so I am going to try it . The guy I got the plane from had the .46ax on it .
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:37 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfireman
Well, I got it out. There is a nut on the outside. I took it off and posted a picture without the nut. Today I heated the carb thinking it was locktited in. Well come to find out there are no threads in the alluminium carb. You stick in the spray bar and put the nut back on the outside. So I have that part back together. Now I need help on re-assembling the whole carb. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alan

Let us know where your at and take a picture if you get stuck . Work backwards from how you took it apart . Don't force anything that won't go .
There isn't really alot to the carb on these . On the engine side put the gasket for the manifold in the head first then put the ring on the manifold and press it on . There should be one inside the carberator throat too . If they dont fit snug or feel brittle replace them . It good to use a little petro jelly when sliding metal over O-rings or viseversa .
Always be careful with the throttle barrel and needles an brass pieces . YOu don't want to score them with anything or bend or mash the end of the needle valve .

Nice score on the $250 setup Maverick
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:54 PM
Alan
USA, NC, Dudley
Joined Sep 2007
213 Posts
Well I got it all put back together(I think).Thanks for all the help. I'll have to order me a topflite P47 to test it out on since I don't own a test stand. Hahahahaha. I wonder if my wife will notice a new airplane?
Alan
bgfireman is offline Find More Posts by bgfireman