HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:31 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbuggyhead View Post
What I'm asking is, has anyone done the conversion on a 180 and what kind of a reliability can I expect from the engine. I don't want to spend over 150 dollars just to trash my engine after running it for a short period of time.
Simple conversion, CDI & a Zama carb/manifold.

You Tube is peppered W/FA180s that were converted to gas.

If you contact C&H do it by phone. You will get a return call within hours, maybe minutes.

Adrian should have the components to whip you up a canversion for your FA180 dispite what the website says.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, FL, Fruitland Park
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
Sr telemaster, do you have a 180 converted over to gas? Has there been any issues with the conn rod as i have read about in other forums? What oil? What ratio? This is my first 4 stroke (got it on a trade) and it replaced a woreout g26 on my fokker. Monies tight and cant afford to ruin this 180.
vwbuggyhead is offline Find More Posts by vwbuggyhead
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:24 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbuggyhead View Post
Sr telemaster, do you have a 180 converted over to gas? Has there been any issues with the conn rod as i have read about in other forums? What oil? What ratio? This is my first 4 stroke (got it on a trade) and it replaced a woreout g26 on my fokker. Monies tight and cant afford to ruin this 180.
I'm a "Methhead", I run CDI on all of my Saitos but I retain the methanol fuel for the added HP.

Wile a CDI/gas conversion drops about 15% HP over glow ignition W/glow fuel, a CDI conversion that retains the glow fuel will gain about 6% HP & 25% longer runs on a given amount of fuel.

It will have all the great handling characteristics of gasoline (due to the more stable spark ignition while running cooler & making about 22% more HP than the gas conversion.

You can eliminate the nitro & that will reduce your fuel cost even more as well further increase fuel economy.

Running straight methaol/oil mix W/CDI will drop your fuel costs by about 50% over glow ignition.

I am currently running a high compression FA180HC CDI/BBC engine W/a ported intake manifold & the 12mm Big Bore 220 carbutetor.

It is producing 3 1/2 HP on 15% nitro Cool Power glow fuel & 4 HP W/30% nitro O'Donnell Speed blend fuel.

8450 & 8850 RPM respectively W/an 18 X 8 Dynathrust propeller.

Here is a You Tube clip of the high compression FA180HC CDI engine before I made the induction modifications.

FA180HC Video 0001 (4 min 36 sec)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:36 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
I can do the high compression modification for about $60.

Rather than doing all of the modifications to the FA150 case to clearance the 180 rotating assembly, a .035" deck reduction on the 180 case & some minor piston/valve clearancing will achieve the same results.

The Big Bore Carb mod will run another $115.

The High compression FA180HC CDI/BBC engine will make almost half again as much HP (46% more HP) as the FG30 (gas version of the 180)

The really nice thing about CDI/Meth is that nitro is HP in a bottle. You can tool around W/0% nitro for fuel economy & if you have a mind to, dump some high nitro fuel in, adjust the high speed needle & make BIG power.

30% nitro fuel will make 66% more power in an FA180C CDI/BBC engine compared to a similar gas converted 180.

BTW: the high compression mod WILL NOT work W/gasoline.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
Talk soft, carry a big plane.
northern colorado
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post

Here is a You Tube clip of the high compression FA180HC CDI engine before I made the induction modifications.
Awesome work! Thanks for the vid, never get tired of listening to a Saito!
maxadventure is offline Find More Posts by maxadventure
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:20 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
Saito FA100

I received a Saito FA91 & 100 today as a gift. Problem is, The 100 had a broken rocker arm cover. I was told to come to Club Saito to possibly find a set. The number is 5049A. I would prefer a (GOOD) USED set as I am on Social Security Disability. Please send info if you have a set with price shipped to Scribner, Nebraska 68057
Thank you!
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:22 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant92 View Post
I received a Saito FA91 & 100 today as a gift. Problem is, The 100 had a broken rocker arm cover. I was told to come to Club Saito to possibly find a set. The number is 5049A. I would prefer a (GOOD) USED set as I am on Social Security Disability. Please send info if you have a set with price shipped to Scribner, Nebraska 68057
Thank you!
You can run it W/O the rocker cover until you can find one.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:44 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
I can do the high compression modification for about $60.

Rather than doing all of the modifications to the FA150 case to clearance the 180 rotating assembly, a .035" deck reduction on the 180 case & some minor piston/valve clearancing will achieve the same results.

The Big Bore Carb mod will run another $115.

The High compression FA180HC CDI/BBC engine will make almost half again as much HP (46% more HP) as the FG30 (gas version of the 180)

The really nice thing about CDI/Meth is that nitro is HP in a bottle. You can tool around W/0% nitro for fuel economy & if you have a mind to, dump some high nitro fuel in, adjust the high speed needle & make BIG power.

30% nitro fuel will make 66% more power in an FA180C CDI/BBC engine compared to a similar gas converted 180.

BTW: the high compression mod WILL NOT work W/gasoline.
Hello SrTelemaster,
Without reading back too far in the thread, what are your thoughts on going CDI with an otherwise stock 180? I've been reading up on your mods with a lot of interest....I love to fly glow, but I also like the notion of a spark ignition. Do I need to bump the compression for good combustion, or can I leave it alone. I don't need more power....this one is on my 1/4 scale Super Decathlon. The 180 is more than enough. Added duration would be a plus.

There's just something about the smoke, the smell, and the oil all over my right shoe that I don't want to give up!!

Thanks,
Dan
old_dan is offline Find More Posts by old_dan
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan View Post
Hello SrTelemaster,
Without reading back too far in the thread, what are your thoughts on going CDI with an otherwise stock 180? I've been reading up on your mods with a lot of interest....I love to fly glow, but I also like the notion of a spark ignition. Do I need to bump the compression for good combustion, or can I leave it alone. I don't need more power....this one is on my 1/4 scale Super Decathlon. The 180 is more than enough. Added duration would be a plus.

There's just something about the smoke, the smell, and the oil all over my right shoe that I don't want to give up!!

Thanks,
Dan
W/15% nitro, CDI on an otherwise stock FA180 will boost HP 6% from 2.8HP to about 3HP. You will use 20% to 25% less fuel. That in itself will reduce the oil some, but if you can alter the oil content, 10% oil will be plenty as you do not need the "insurance" of added oil because, unlike glow ignnition, the spark timing will remain constant regardless of F/A mixture, ambient tmeperature. etc.That will reduce the oil mess substantially.

Even W/the same glow fuel, it will start easier, idle reliably about 300 RPM lower, & be all around more pleasant to live with.

If fuel economy is more important than increased HP, eliminate the nitro & your fuel economy will increase dramaically.

On a Saito FA180, converting to CDI is a no-brainer. Only benefits W/no downside. It will more than pay for itself in the life of the engine.

If you can get bulk methanol locally, it is cheaper than gasoline. Mix it W/10% KLOTZ which can be bought from SIG @ $30 a gallon (no hazemat fees & free shipping over $50) & your fuel costs will be in the neighborhood of $5 a gallon.

Higher compression can be attained quite easily for about $30 worth of machine work (.035" case deck reduction) & some hand work on the cylinder base & piston crown. It will gain you another .2 HP W/O other mods. W/the 12mm FA220 BB carb & porting the updraft portion of the intake manifold will jump power output to about 3.5HP W/15% nitro, 4HP W/30%.
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Mar 15, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
Thanks! I'll probably order the C-H kit & give it a try. Fuel really isn't an issue. We do an annual club buy & I've been getting 20%/20% Wildcat fuel for $18 per gallon for a 4 gallon case. I did find a speed shop locally that caters to the dragster set...they sell bulk methanol and also nitromethane, so that is an option.

The way I see it, is that if I can fly a little longer I'd be happy. With a 20 ounce tank, I'm only good for 12 minutes with the Saito 180. That's 12 with some reserve time, but it will run out of fuel pretty soon after that. Murphy says that flying to the end of the endurance limit pretty much assures that somebody will crash on the runway just before I need to land!!

Without the compression mods what do I have to lose?...it sounds like there are no destructive mods on the Saito, so if the idea doesn't work out, I can revert without any issues.

Thanks!

Dan
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:06 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Without the compression mods what do I have to lose?...it sounds like there are no destructive mods on the Saito, so if the idea doesn't work out, I can revert without any issues.
Trust me, you won't want to "revert".

Place your order W/C&H by phone. The site usually says that they are out of stock, but Adrian always has the components for the FA120/150/180 in stock & he can whip you up a system quickly.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,221 Posts
Quote:
The way I see it, is that if I can fly a little longer I'd be happy. With a 20 ounce tank, I'm only good for 12 minutes with the Saito 180. That's 12 with some reserve time, but it will run out of fuel pretty soon after that. Murphy says that flying to the end of the endurance limit pretty much assures that somebody will crash on the runway just before I need to land!!
I went back & checked out my fuel consumpsion tests.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=5

The otherwise stock FA180CDI engine running @ 7500-7600 RPM consumed fuel @ about 1oz per minute..
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:33 AM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
I'll give him a call on Monday. Sounds like I might be able to get an easy 15 minute flight without changing anything else.

I have several gallons of the Wildcat 20/20 around....the next step will be to blend my own fuel. I'll start to hang on to the empty gallon containers.

Thanks,

Dan
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:00 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
I know you can buy methanol in five gallon buckets. There should be enough room to add the 1/2 gallon of oil to the bucket and use that as your storage container if you don't have enough jugs.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
OK....I talked to Adrian and ordered a CDI setup today!

Dan